1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

Reo Mini battery question

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by Commie, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Commie

Commie Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

So I'm contemplating a new Mini (yay)

My concern is that the batteries are only 700-900 mah, which will not last me the whole day. Well, that's not really a big deal, since I can carry a spare battery in my pocket. The concern is how to know when the battery needs to be replaced, and what happens if I let it get too low?

All my current mods have 18650ies, with 2000-3000 mah. By the end of the day, they are at about 3.7V, and I throw them in the charger.

What would happen if I overdischarge the 14500s in the Mini?
    Would it be any better if I used protected batteries?
    And if so, would they fit? :)

Thank you!
    Commie

2. nerak

nerak ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Stick with the AW IMR 14500. Yes, you will need to pull and change more often. You will notice a drop in heat, vapor and flavor.

The protected batteries will fit but very tight. Virtually no room for the spring to collapse in case of a short.

Don't let them drop too far, not good for the battery. You can figure about 4 hours then change them with normal vaping using only the Mini.

You might consider the Mini 2.1. A larger battery that will give you a few more hours. Also the drip well is large enough for any RBA.

3. unsure

unsure ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  4. Commie

Thank you, Karen!
    The reason I'm looking at a 14500 mini is for something more compact. As far as my pocket is concerned, there's little to no difference between my Grand and Mini 2.1. Height matters less in this case than thickness.
    So, replacing every 4 hours will probably do it for me :)

5. pianoguy

pianoguy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    The Mini is an awesome little bugger - everybody should have one, just on general principles ;-)

6. FEEDER

FEEDER Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I've used 14500 batteries, for roughly a year, just recently got a reo mini, before that it was in a v mod, if you can get them yezl batteries are as good if not better than aw, they're 900mah, & on tests, by torchy the battery boy, perform better than aw's, they're cheaper, & protected, they also fit the mini, no problem, with plenty of room

7. pianoguy

pianoguy Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Looks like I'm gonna have to go scouting - thanks!

8. FEEDER

Torchy the battery boy, is in the uk, on uk vapours , if you google him, you'll get to his site, all the tests are on there, he sells batteries, & bycile torch's for a living

9. ltrainer

ltrainer Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I am not a battery expert so i'll get that out of the way.

If you run low ohm attys imr are the ticket as they can take a high amount of discharge rate as they have a low internal resistance. Vaping with low ohm attys do put a strain on the batteries. The imrs do have a different chemistry than regular protected lithium ion batteries thus they sacrific some of the capacity. They also dont start on fire but vent gas instead. They can easily handle the high drain applications that low rez attys require.

I dont know how Touchy runs his tests as i am not in the mood to read about it now. I do know that testing on torches or flashlights doesnt equate to testing on applications where high drain is being done. Perhaps touchy does that testing.

I do know that the builder of the Reo reccomends Aw IMRs so thats good enough for me.

10. Commie

Right, I understand.

One more question -- what happens if I accidentally overdischarge a battery? As in, keep using it after it runs too low?

11. super_X_drifter

super_X_drifter Vaper with a vid cam, killer mods and awesome RDAs Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Your wife smacks you in the back of the head for being a fool. JK.

I believe it reduces the life span of the battery resulting in having to buy more resulting in the aforementioned smack.

Shot thru cyberspace with my iGun

12. FEEDER

Unless you read how he tests them, you won know
    I've got aw imr batteries here, & yezls, & I know for fact, that the yezls last longer per battery than the imr's do, now that is just my opinion, & I offered that opinion, to try & help a fellow Vaper , but obviously I shouldn't have ventured that opinion, as it differs to the norm, so it won't happen again

13. Commie

Hehe, I'll take the smack over an acidy explosion in my pocket. I'm not planning on having more kids, but I try to keep hot acid away from my lap, as a general rule :)

14. ltrainer

ltrainer Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sorry, i really didnt mean to be confrontational. All opinions are welcomed. All the posts add up to important information that help others with their vaping. So keep on posting. Your opinions are welcomed and as valuable as anyone elses here. Once again i apologize for the "tone " of my post.

With a battery thats small like the 14500 its more important to run an imr than it is with a larger battery such as an 18650 if you are using low ohm attys.

15. FEEDER

I've run nothing but lr306 attys for nearly a year, don't use anything else.
    Torchy the battery boy, is the person, that most people on uk vapers turn too for battery questions, but obviously you know better

16. JC Okie

JC Okie REOnaut Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Frank, we want to hear about all the options.....good information is good information. And Commie, you'll know when your battery is getting low. I used Minis MOST of the time during my first year with REOs, and you'll definitely know when the battery needs to be switched out because the vapor, the heat, and the flavor will be out the window. After a time or two of running one down, you'll get the routine going.....change the batts at lunch break.....or in the car on the way home....or whatever. I daresay you'll love the Mini if you've already tried the 18490 and found it too thick. The Mini is the cutest, tiniest little powerhouse you'll ever vape. No matter what other REOs I get (I'm amassing quite a collection!!) I'll always have a Mini in my purse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.