Reo Mod - Modding for improved flat top battery firing pin contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
There is definitely something to that aspect as well. It seems to me that, as a tube mod scrapes up (and removes any conductive finish from) a battery, it's big fat screw head positive contact doesn't care. Somewhere on that large flat surface, its gonna find a spot to conduct some traffic. My lone AW2000 didn't fare too well with my subΩ setups either. I think it was because: 1: it was scratched up 2: it was taking turns with the MNKE's

All of them performed great after a good cleaning; but as one battery started dirtying the pin, the pin would then spark out the next battery which would further foul the pin. Spiral, spiral, domino. I'd clean the pin, or switch to a fresh battery; but they would infect each other. I had respectable results after I finally put the whole pattern together and addressed it with keeping everything clean whenever one thing showed signs of problems. So, it works. Once I had my knowledge and my maintenance routine, my vapes were trouble free.

When other SLR vapers with their first REO have these issues, they won't have to scratch their heads and wonder what's wrong, and worry that it isn't going to work for them.
We seem to have a better idea of what's happening here. And we have a number of methods to deal with the problem (cleaning and/or modding). Nobody is eager to throw out a mess of batteries and buy new ones right after dropping a bunch of cash on a new mod. They don't have to. They just need to know what's what, how to deal with it, and know that new batteries (of the right kind, if and when they want to buy them) will resolve the issue.

Conversely, the design of the firing pin in the REO makes for a very gentle touch. I really don't see how I'm going to put any significant wear on my new batteries.
I take my hat off to you my friend there is no dust on you . I am so glad you didn't give up I could see people doing this What a shame that would be .

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Hi Rob, First off thank you for making these devices. I appreciate the design elements, the robustness of materials and luv the surface colors/treatments. You device is my daily vape now.

I understand your recommendation. But my issue occurred with the recommended button tops as well. After talking with pdib, I took a closer look at my batteries. They all had the tell tale sign of tube genny usage. Slight scraps. a divit and circular markings from screwing the positive on post of the atty onto the battery. The button top (aw IMR 18650s) had less circle indentation. I dont have any new button batteries (yet) to test the hypothesis, but after seeing the arcing on the flat top, modder instincts just kicked-in.
I am glad you talked with pdib the man is a life savor . I have only used my mods I really had nothing to go on. I have never experienced what some of you tube mod guys are experiencing . I vape low ohm coils but nothing under .7 .

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
I went a bit further with it in the related thread. I cut the length of the ridge down so it fits 100% in the delrin opening (for firing pin). The spring and battery wedge the wings against the delrin's bottom, and the ridge shape fills the void, keeping it from moving front to back.

Mind you, I ain't usin' it . . . . you is. :p

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
I went a bit further with it in the related thread. I cut the length of the ridge down so it fits 100% in the delrin opening (for firing pin). The spring and battery wedge the wings against the delrin's bottom, and the ridge shape fills the void, keeping it from moving front to back.

Mind you, I ain't usin' it . . . . you is. :p

Ah, I was wondering why that shape. Can you share the thread?

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
Pdib, Thanks for posting pictures and for providing the link to your thread. Yea I would agree that it would be foolish to use your mod. Loose metal in a device is not a good idea. BTW, my mod is performing flawlessly with flat tops. While it still early to tell the longevity before oxidation kicks in, I have no issue currently (In fact, I actually pick up a whopping .05v).

I am gonna keep my mod in place until my flawless new AW IMR18650s come in. I aint putting my reo down to wait for the mailman.

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
Pdib, Thanks for posting pictures and for providing the link to your thread. Yea I would agree that it would be foolish to use your mod. Loose metal in a device is not a good idea. BTW, my mod is performing flawlessly with flat tops. While it still early to tell the longevity before oxidation kicks in, I have no issue currently (In fact, I actually pick up a whopping .05v).

I am gonna keep my mod in place until my flawless new AW IMR18650s come in. I aint putting my reo down to wait for the mailman.

Well good. I know I'm not using it. fun to play, tho. Glad yours is working well :)

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
It just dawned in me the copper foil thingamajigger is probably ok until you get a short. If a short happens then the spring will collapse allowing the battery to fall and finally letting the copper foil fall down on the battery and creating a short to the mods body.

Hey gdeal, I appreciate your post on this little mod! I too have a great deal of money invested into flat tops. I also understand the risks in modding the original design. I was wondering if you could point me in a direction to get the copper used in this mod. I love my reo but can't invest in getting the recommended batteries right now as it would lead to my immediate castration by my wife considering my frivolous vapes spending recently. Lol!

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
Hey gdeal, I appreciate your post on this little mod! I too have a great deal of money invested into flat tops. I also understand the risks in modding the original design. I was wondering if you could point me in a direction to get the copper used in this mod. I love my reo but can't invest in getting the recommended batteries right now as it would lead to my immediate castration by my wife considering my frivolous vapes spending recently. Lol!

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Another ECFer sent me a small blank of .2 thickness copper. This idea of modding the firing pin was bit ad-hoc and early in the thinking on how to lower Reo vdrop and improve firing pin contact.

pdib posted on a more elegant solution using a brass feeler gauge (widely available) to replace the entire firing pin. Its here in the Reo sub-forum. I just cant find it right now for some reason.

BTW, Rob should be launching an upgrade soon, which will address this as well.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
I saw both copper and brass at .005" in an art supply store this weekend.

Copper is so maleable. As an experiment, a while back, I stripped a short length of copper wire (this was 14g romex, but 18g automotive would do the trick); pounding it with a hammer to flatten it, and then sanding it to an even thickness and to clean it up. (pounding it makes it fairly rigid, heating it makes it soft. I wouldn't use copper alone, but do something like what gdeal did. You'd want to rely on the SS for "spring" qualities)

There's two threads with info that I've contributed. Here's darkzero's thread, I think my brass sheathed pin is ~pg3

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/reos-mods/467679-dz-mod-ok-pdib-too.html?highlight=a+dz+mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread