Status
Not open for further replies.

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Great video, Rob. I loved spending time in your shop. It feels like a warm, clean, friendly place to work. I had no idea how much time actually went into every REO. Do you recycle all those aluminum shavings? I can imagine how much you must end up with every day. Wouldn't want to walk around your machines barefooted.....

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Great video, Rob. I loved spending time in your shop. It feels like a warm, clean, friendly place to work. I had no idea how much time actually went into every REO. Do you recycle all those aluminum shavings? I can imagine how much you must end up with every day. Wouldn't want to walk around your machines barefooted.....
Glad you enjoyed it Jan Yes I save all the chips and store them in 55 gallon drums for recycling . I have a little stock yard of metal I am saving for a rainy day .
Bare feet would be a no no in the shop . My cat sneaks in at times and I have to clean her up good before I let her leave

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Freakin totally satisfied after seeing that video! Cant ask for more haha

That's gota be nuts just standing there waiting to change out parts all day but its gota be something to know that ea one of these babies are gona go through thousands and thousands of crazy hours of vaping... perfectly!

Talk about feeling like god! haha
I don't just stand there I have lots of other jobs to do while the machine is grinding away . One does need to keep a eye on the machine though . I have a tool changer on that machine but its down at the moment bad sensor .

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Back in the Stone Age, when I was in school, I took 3 years of machine shop. Everything was manual, and every operation would have to be done on separate machines. Operations like that would take forever. Today's CNC machines fascinate me.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Back in the Stone Age, when I was in school, I took 3 years of machine shop. Everything was manual, and every operation would have to be done on separate machines. Operations like that would take forever. Today's CNC machines fascinate me.
lol you old coot I believe they had cnc machines even when you was young . They used cards with punch holes in them for the code

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
lol you old coot I believe they had cnc machines even when you was young . They used cards with punch holes in them for the code

They probably did. But we didn't have any in our school shop. In fact, many of our machines were antiques, even back then. We had old lathes and mills that were built in the '30s. I think the first programmed machines I ever saw were sheet metal machines, probably in the mid '70s.

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Just re watched the vid, and I gotta say, pretty damned amazing for self taught. Another thing that most probably don't realize is the time involved in planning, and programming all that to begin with.
Thank you and you are correct the programming is the hardest part .

chohan

Earthbound Misfit
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
NC Foothills
I really enjoyed the video Rob.

It brought back memories of a few years I spent in a job where we ground gears and whatnot. Made the countershafts for the tranny in the Dodge Cummins diesel and other stuff. I didn't setup the cnc though, just load, unload and try to pay attention so as not to loose a finger or hand. That was 20 yr ago and some of the machines were new, others not so much.

One thing for sure, that video just makes me love and appreciate my Reos that much more. Thanks for all you do mate.

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
^^^this. Maybe think about putting it up on your web site, if it's not giving away trade secrets.

Rob - awesome to see how these little beauties get made. Here we sit vaping on precision crafted instruments while some folks whinge about the equivalent of 5 hours of a postal workers wage. Try getting a tooth filling done or a front door hung for the price of a reo.

Can't wait for these P 67's!

Ditto! This is labor intensive art at its finest and you don't see little kids being paid peanuts to do it! Bravo Modmaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread