REO Technical Issues/Shop Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paramaniac413

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2014
South Central PA
I'm gonna try that extra 2 coil trick tomorrow. Cool beans! I must say that even with my flub-ups, that I'm liking the SS for the rapid heating up time. More will be revealed

That's why I like the stainless. I put fresh coils in my REOs tonight, but I went with kanthal this time. Dual coil 26g 7 wraps around a 2.4mm. Not quite as fast a ramp up time as SS, but still a tasty vape. I have 26g SS, so I didn't want to do dual coils with it just yet. Maybe I'll get some 28g SS to play with this week.

Moonbear

Feb 28, 2014
NW Arkansas USA
Welcome back!!! I have hand issues also, and yesssssssssss much better to fire, way less stress on the hands. Rumor has it he'll be doing another run around the end of the month which isn't far away. I don't have a P-67 but I have a 2015 woodvil and the design is the same.

The new 8.5 ml bottles are a must!!! They are a tad fussier, but I have zero leaking and they are sooooooooooo easy to squonk. I take mine completely off to refill.....give a lil squeeze into a paper towel to kinda clear out the tube. fill, recap, making sure it threads right... (that's the tricky part). Then pinch the air tube, squeeze the bottle and make sure pressure is built up. Do this a couple few times, and reattach to the Reo. If it's not threaded right, when you pinch the tube and squeeze the bottle the bottle will actually squeeze rather than you feeling the pressure built up.

Hey, thank you for the response and directions! I appreciate it very much. Do you know if the those softer bottles would work in the LP Grand also? Seems like the ones that come with it aren't that large.

Reactions: Debadoo

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Hey, thank you for the response and directions! I appreciate it very much. Do you know if the those softer bottles would work in the LP Grand also? Seems like the ones that come with it aren't that large.
Yes, they do work in the Grands.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Jup they work in everything that isn't a mini of some sort. The ones that come with the Reo grands are 6 ml. Some have said these don't hold quite 8.5 ml but I've never measured it. I just love em for the easy squonkin, and they are bigger than 6 ml so that's a plus. You're very welcome.

Reactions: Moonbear

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
That's why I like the stainless. I put fresh coils in my REOs tonight, but I went with kanthal this time. Dual coil 26g 7 wraps around a 2.4mm. Not quite as fast a ramp up time as SS, but still a tasty vape. I have 26g SS, so I didn't want to do dual coils with it just yet. Maybe I'll get some 28g SS to play with this week.
If you want to try some 28 SS, I bought both 28 and 30 to try. I would be happy to put a bit in an envelope and send it your way. Just PM me if you wish.

Gigdujour

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2013
Michigan
I'm gonna try that extra 2 coil trick tomorrow. Cool beans! I must say that even with my flub-ups, that I'm liking the SS for the rapid heating up time. More will be revealed

I also noticed that I get a lot longer battery life using the SS. I've been running twisted 28ga SS which replaced my MM coils. I believe my battery life has just about doubled [emoji1] I'm sure some of that is due to less wire mass, but I've been very happy with my results so far.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

For the resistance I build, I've been using 24g ss for my single Z coils. In my dual coil Mantas, I'm using 28g ss.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I also noticed that I get a lot longer battery life using the SS. I've been running twisted 28ga SS which replaced my MM coils. I believe my battery life has just about doubled [emoji1] I'm sure some of that is due to less wire mass, but I've been very happy with my results so far.
oh that's nice to know!

Reactions: Gigdujour

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
Hippy!! I just finished having a blast playing with some 28 SS AND making my first ever Z coil (perhaps Z mixed with a parallel but both are first ever)! Thank you all for chiming in and for Sloth's video back on pg 65!!
I was trying for a .9, so I followed Steam Machines suggestion for wraps (11 for 2 mandrel, 28, SS). I did the extra 2 coils and them removed them in order to make contact coils. Groovy so far. The coil was really tight and close but the 2 legs had to come apart a tad in order to feed into the little O 16 posts. Nice looking but it metered at 1.5. Sooooo
I did it again, but this time I subtracted 2 coils and yahoo, I'm at .9. My 2 legs are not in complete contact with the other coils, but it fires nicely and I'm a happy camper. (Am wondering if spaced coils are a good idea with some attys? I suppose that's a case by case decision....?).
The bottom line is that old dogs can learn new tricks (as long as they do it in a pack). I also like how forgiving the SS is. Fires quickly. Easy to work with. No sagging and holds its shape. 28 is certainly easier than 30 but even 30 SS was not the nightmare that 30 kanthal can be.
If I was a bit more handy, I could post a pic

I'll keep you posted...Great day all!

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Some folks take a close up picture of the coil with their phone and then they can blow it up on the screen to count the coils.
I wear two pairs of reading glasses (2.50 and 3.00) at the same time. It looks silly but it magnifies great.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
(Am wondering if spaced coils are a good idea with some attys? I suppose that's a case by case decision....?).
The bottom line is that old dogs can learn new tricks (as long as they do it in a pack). I also like how forgiving the SS is. Fires quickly. Easy to work with. No sagging and holds its shape. 28 is certainly easier than 30 but even 30 SS was not the nightmare that 30
I haven't done spaced coils since I got the coil master v3, but I need to try them. I am pretty sure you can use em on any atty as long as there is room. Folks say they gunk less. Good to know that you really like the SS wire. I'll have to get some maybe in July! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on it :wub:

Reactions: Robinowitz

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Some folks take a close up picture of the coil with their phone and then they can blow it up on the screen to count the coils.
I wear two pairs of reading glasses (2.50 and 3.00) at the same time. It looks silly but it magnifies great.

Never even thought of this. I'll have to try it for giggles. Don't know if I can blow up a pic on the screen or not. I've had my smart phone for about 3 years, and have taken maybe 2 or 3 pics with it. :)

Reactions: Debadoo

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I haven't done spaced coils since I got the coil master v3, but I need to try them. I am pretty sure you can use em on any atty as long as there is room. Folks say they gunk less. Good to know that you really like the SS wire. I'll have to get some maybe in July! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts on it :wub:

I hadn't really worked much with spaced coils since my ss mesh genisis building days. Ever since building coils for drippers and squonkers, all my coils have been contact coils. But lately, with ss wire, I've been building spaced coils, for a couple reasons. For single Z coils, in my 2 post attys, like the Makers and Stumpys, I want more spread, or length. With an 8 wrap 24g ss coil, at about .3 ohms, I get a nice long coil, which gets the coils closer to the air inlets than a contact coil would. In my Mantas, which are also 2 post attys, he posts are too close together to build a 2.5mm diameter Z coil, so I run duals. But with contact 26g duals, I had to put crazy bends in the legs, in order to line up with the post holes. With 28g ss coils, I simply space them enough, so the legs line up perfectly with the posts, and go straight in.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
But with contact 26g duals, I had to put crazy bends in the legs, in order to line up with the post holes. With 28g ss coils, I simply space them enough, so the legs line up perfectly with the posts, and go straight in.
kewl, never thought about that. A lot of the porchers that use them say they don't gunk up nearly as fast. Do you find that to be true with the SS also?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread