Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
Quick question: after a year, it's time for a full disassembly and clean up for my LP grand. Only problem is I can't seem to unscrew the metal nipple(?) to remove the positive leave. I've tried using pliers to no avail. Any suggestions? I'm worried about destroying that metal part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kenna

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Quick question: after a year, it's time for a full disassembly and clean up for my LP grand. Only problem is I can't seem to unscrew the metal nipple(?) to remove the positive leave. I've tried using pliers to no avail. Any suggestions? I'm worried about destroying that metal part.

I would never, never remove that unless I had to. There's a good chance you'll snap it off completely by accident. Do you have the new adjustable 510 or the old one?

When I clean my Grands, I just run them under hot water and scrub them up with a toothbrush. The way you clean the positive contact will depend on whether you have the new gold one or the older one. The older ones you clean with a nail file; the new ones you clean with a pencil eraser. Even if you take the delrin cover off so you can get in among all the workings, I still would never take the metal nipple off. You can clean everything you need to by running it under hot water..

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
I would never, never remove that unless I had to. There's a good chance you'll snap it off completely by accident. Do you have the new adjustable 510 or the old one?

When I clean my Grands, I just run them under hot water and scrub them up with a toothbrush. The way you clean the positive contact will depend on whether you have the new gold one or the older one. The older ones you clean with a nail file; the new ones you clean with a pencil eraser. Even if you take the delrin cover off so you can get in among all the workings, I still would never take the metal nipple off. You can clean everything you need to by running it under hot water..

Part of the reason I wanna disassemble it is because the button is getting a little sticky from the build up of dirt in the button hole. I'm gonna hafta at least loosen the metal nipple if I wanna have a chance of removing the button unfortunately.

ETA: I have the new one. Also on my 3 other grands, the nipples come off pretty easily with a needle nose pliers

Alawot

Wakonda Warrior
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2015
Lebanon, Ohio
Part of the reason I wanna disassemble it is because the button is getting a little sticky from the build up of dirt in the button hole. I'm gonna hafta at least loosen the metal nipple if I wanna have a chance of removing the button unfortunately.

ETA: I have the new one. Also on my 3 other grands, the nipples come off pretty easily with a needle nose pliers

I would at least consider looping part of a wide rubberband around it before using pliers. Wouldn't want to mar the surface.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida

If you have a pair of flat nose pliers, they would grip better, with more surface area.
    31zGRGISS5L.jpg

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 2, 2013
    If you have a pair of flat nose pliers, they would grip better, with more surface area.
    31zGRGISS5L.jpg

Haha that's what I tried initially. Metal on metal was no good. Alawot's suggestion to use a wide rubber band + pliers sounds like it would def work. Will give that a shot

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 7, 2011
    Illinois
    If you have a 90° pick, place it under the firing pin and pry upwards very carefully and it should rotate up to get your button out. It should also loosen the feed nipple at the same time. This will not hurt your device in any way at all... I used to take mine apart on almost a monthly basis to clean the button because of the work environment I was in. This can also be done with a standard screwdriver if you can get enough of it under the firing pin.

Is this device one you bought new from Rob or was it purchased from another user? If it was from another user, they may have taken it apart and used a thread sealant when putting it back together and from use it will solidify and it will be harder to loosen and actually have to break the seal, so to say...

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 2, 2013
    If you have a 90° pick, place it under the firing pin and pry upwards very carefully and it should rotate up to get your button out. It should also loosen the feed nipple at the same time. This will not hurt your device in any way at all... I used to take mine apart on almost a monthly basis to clean the button because of the work environment I was in. This can also be done with a standard screwdriver if you can get enough of it under the firing pin.

Is this device one you bought new from Rob or was it purchased from another user? If it was from another user, they may have taken it apart and used a thread sealant when putting it back together and from use it will solidify and it will be harder to loosen and actually have to break the seal, so to say...

Ah it's new from rob.

I've decided to go your route with a mini driver. Works well, but took my and my giant potato fingers close to half an hour to get the button back in!

I would probably still try out the rubber band + plied method at some point in the future, just in case I ever need to replace the positive leaf.

MrSmith99

ECF Veteran
    Jan 28, 2011
    Earth
    Need help with atomizer info. I have a very old Reo Grand, I'm pretty sure there was no LP back then so I am assuming it is standard. I would like to update my atty but can only afford clones. $50 or more is way out of the question for me right now. Can anyone recommend a clone atty that would work with a standard Reo Grand and that is currently available? Any links?

Train2

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    CA, USA
    Not too many choices that fit that cup.
    I'll try to think of any that are cloned.
    In the meantime, the "gold standard" RDA for a "non-LP" Reo is the original RM2, which you can get from ReosMods for under $50 (probably $50 with shipping though).

OR - I'll bet if you ran a "wanted" ad for an RM2, you might find one. There are HUNDREDS of people who grew up on it, but moved on to bigger-air 22mm (or bigger) atomizers...

Need help with atomizer info. I have a very old Reo Grand, I'm pretty sure there was no LP back then so I am assuming it is standard. I would like to update my atty but can only afford clones. $50 or more is way out of the question for me right now. Can anyone recommend a clone atty that would work with a standard Reo Grand and that is currently available? Any links?

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 27, 2015

Sorry I can't help with an atty, but you could consider sending the grand back to rob for conversion to LP and replacement 510. Not sure how much he charges for this, but it would open up your choice of atties big time.

MrSmith99

ECF Veteran
    Jan 28, 2011
    Earth
    Sorry I can't help with an atty, but you could consider sending the grand back to rob for conversion to LP and replacement 510. Not sure how much he charges for this, but it would open up your choice of atties big time.

Thanks Lazy Vapor. I did find a clone at premiumecigarette . They had a Chalice v3 clone for $10 (Supposed to be 14mm so should fit as is). They emailed me and told me it shipped and gave me tracking. If that doesn't work for me I'm just going to get the dremel out and grind down the catch-cup myself on the Reo and smooth it with a hand file.

kazz63758

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 23, 2011
    Southeast Missouri
    They had a Chalice v3 clone for $10 (Supposed to be 14mm so should fit as is).

This atty will fit fine in a REO. But, make sure to check your resistance WITH THE CAP ON before firing it on your mod. That will probably save you a spring or two...

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 27, 2015
    This atty will fit fine in a REO. But, make sure to check your resistance WITH THE CAP ON before firing it on your mod. That will probably save you a spring or two...
    I used a clone for a while, found it awkward to build on compared to an RM2. Very very easy to end up with a short. For what it's worth plenty of people with the real deal had to order some spare springs too....

LarryPer

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 28, 2012
    San Diego CA
    I have been using the origen little 16, works as good as a RM2 and only $9 at Fastteck

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread