REO Technical Issues/Shop Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
We can fix that for ya! :D But I warn ya, you'll have no more use for those other million ones once ya get a Reo. Both the grand and p67 are great. What type of attys do you like? mtl, lung hits? Do you build? Have you used mechs?
......All of the Above......................lol...........had in the back of my mind a Reo Grande in white solid door with a side fire button......already have 2 sqonkers...and afew bottom feed attys......don't need no

more but the shinyitis..... is always there......lol

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
the p67 is the one with the side button, grands have top buttons. You turn the button to lock it. the p67 has a lock you slide on the inside. Which bf attys do you use? I love the O-16 Was using the Rm8 before that (derringer clone), but didn't like building dual coils since it was super hard for me to see. But it was too weak with just a single. The o-16 gives a great vape for me with a single z coil

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
the p67 is the one with the side button, grands have top buttons. You turn the button to lock it. the p67 has a lock you slide on the inside. Which bf attys do you use? I love the O-16 Was using the Rm8 before that (derringer clone), but didn't like building dual coils since it was super hard for me to see. But it was too weak with just a single. The o-16 gives a great vape for me with a single z coil
I modified the derringer clone and a few others and they worked pretty good..........had the strangest luck with my other two squonkers.......the eliquid tasted good the first day but after two days in the bottle

it tasted stale......and so I moved on to like my drippers and tanks more than the squonkers..........

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I modified the derringer clone and a few others and they worked pretty good..........had the strangest luck with my other two squonkers.......the eliquid tasted good the first day but after two days in the bottle

it tasted stale......and so I moved on to like my drippers and tanks more than the squonkers..........
You owe it to your self to give it another try. I have been using REOs for a long, long time and I've never had that problem that I know of. I mean, if it happens I guess it doesn't bother me. The P67 (REO with the side button) is the culmination of all the good ideas put together into one supermod.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I modified the derringer clone and a few others and they worked pretty good
How did you modify them? Like JC I've never had juice taste stale. the O16 clone at FT is a good one. It can be closed down a lot, or opened for a fairly good lung hit. I use a single z coil, but open both airholes to the largest setting. Then put the top cap on with the air holes angled between the wick and the post. That opened the air a lot

$7.06 Origen Little Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 316 stainless steel / 16mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
How did you modify them? Like JC I've never had juice taste stale. the O16 clone at FT is a good one. It can be closed down a lot, or opened for a fairly good lung hit. I use a single z coil, but open both airholes to the largest setting. Then put the top cap on with the air holes angled between the wick and the post. That opened the air a lot

$7.06 Origen Little Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 316 stainless steel / 16mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
I cut a little slot in the pin for the juice to flow....up into the atty....

Reactions: Kenna

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
@thetrucker

Try using less cotton just enough to touch the deck... and then squonking more often. You may find that it works a little better for you. It stops as much semi cooked juice being pulled back down into the bottle. I find it gives a much fresher taste this way. As always your mileage may vary... but you would only be wasting a very small amount of cotton if it did not work out for you :)

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Yes, the trick to good performance with squonkers is in the wicking. It differs from conventional dripping in that you don't need your wick to be a reservoir to hold extra juice. Conventional drippers use the wicks to hold juice, so that they don't have to drip as often, and can get more pulls before having to re drip.
With squonkers, there's always fresh juice in the bottle, just a squonk away. You only need the tails of the wick to be long enough to pull juice up from the deck to the coil. So, trim your wicks so that the ends just touch the deck; no longer.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
@thetrucker

Try using less cotton just enough to touch the deck... and then squonking more often. You may find that it works a little better for you. It stops as much semi cooked juice being pulled back down into the bottle. I find it gives a much fresher taste this way. As always your mileage may vary... but you would only be wasting a very small amount of cotton if it did not work out for you :)
Thanks I'll try your method......................

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Yes, the trick to good performance with squonkers is in the wicking. It differs from conventional dripping in that you don't need your wick to be a reservoir to hold extra juice. Conventional drippers use the wicks to hold juice, so that they don't have to drip as often, and can get more pulls before having to re drip.
With squonkers, there's always fresh juice in the bottle, just a squonk away. You only need the tails of the wick to be long enough to pull juice up from the deck to the coil. So, trim your wicks so that the ends just touch the deck; no longer.
Thanks for the info......I'll try the trimming wicks idea.........

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
You owe it to your self to give it another try. I have been using REOs for a long, long time and I've never had that problem that I know of. I mean, if it happens I guess it doesn't bother me. The P67 (REO with the side button) is the culmination of all the good ideas put together into one supermod.

Couldn't agree with you more and like your moniker... Reo P67's ARE supermods, IMO they are "the" Supermods. :D

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
Any suggestions for good button top batteries other than the AW's? Don't get me wrong--the AW's have been great for me for years but my stock is getting kind of old and I was wondering if there were newer and better alternatives. I've purchased a bunch of the LG H2 3000mah flat tops recently and they're fine batteries for my tactical flashlights but I've found that I don't like flat tops in my REO Grands. Too long of a throw for the positive post, I guess. Just doesn't feel right. Any thoughts?

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Any suggestions for good button top batteries other than the AW's? Don't get me wrong--the AW's have been great for me for years but my stock is getting kind of old and I was wondering if there were newer and better alternatives. I've purchased a bunch of the LG H2 3000mah flat tops recently and they're fine batteries for my tactical flashlights but I've found that I don't like flat tops in my REO Grands. Too long of a throw for the positive post, I guess. Just doesn't feel right. Any thoughts?
this was mentioned above by SteamStack.......get magnets for the flat tops.........hobby lobby has this sort of thing..........small magnets...

Reactions: Kenna

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Put a reo magnet on top of the battery to make up the height difference. That's what I've done for like over a year now.

Vaping is all about safety first, so that is a very bad idea IMO. I can't agree with it as it misleads those new to vaping who read it and don't know the possible pitfalls of doing it.

People are not perfect, do make mistakes, get lackadaisical or distracted when they do things. So a problem with doing this can happen to anyone, even those who know the pit falls. Rob was also against this practice.

The magnet can slide and bridge the gap between the positive post and negative case, a short that could lead to a white hot battery venting if there is damage to the battery tops wrap/insulator. It's foolhardy to think it will never happen.

Some battery wraps/insulators can get damaged easily because they are lower quality than others, can get damaged/chipped in spring bar type battery chargers. So I have a large stash of IMR brand insulators and wraps in the appropriate colors (top quality), and bought a heat gun to maintain my batteries in a safe state. Of my batteries those that are easily damaged by my Nitecore D4's and the LUC's are the LG HG2's especially as they have very brittle wraps, and the Sammy 25R's. So I charge them on an Old Skol Xtar WP6 and WP2 II's instead where they can't get damaged by the charger.

YMMV

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Vaping is all about safety first, so that is a very bad idea IMO. I can't agree with it as it misleads those new to vaping who read it and don't know the possible pitfalls of doing it.

People are not perfect, do make mistakes, get lackadaisical or distracted when they do things. So a problem with doing this can happen to anyone, even those who know the pit falls. Rob was also against this practice.

The magnet can slide and bridge the gap between the positive post and negative case, a short that could lead to a white hot battery venting if there is damage to the battery tops wrap/insulator. It's foolhardy to think it will never happen.

Some battery wraps/insulators can get damaged easily because they are lower quality than others, can get damaged/chipped in spring bar type battery chargers. So I have a large stash of IMR brand insulators and wraps in the appropriate colors (top quality), and bought a heat gun to maintain my batteries in a safe state. Of my batteries those that are easily damaged by my Nitecore D4's and the LUC's are the LG HG2's especially as they have very brittle wraps, and the Sammy 25R's. So I charge them on an Old Skol Xtar WP6 and WP2 II's instead where they can't get damaged by the charger.

YMMV

I have used magnets, but not the REO metal door magnets. They are too small, and can slide. I have some 6mm diameter magnets, which were from some other tube mod switch. I don't even remember what mod they came from. Possibly a Poldiac. Anyway, they fit perfectly in the slot in the delrin piece in the REO Grand. They cannot slide. I don't like the practice however. I much prefer to just use AW button tops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread