REO using Sophia Atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfisher

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2013
Springfield, Ohio, USA
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Just ordered one. Have a couple of regular atomizers on the way too, but figured it would be more convenient to rebuild if I could.

It's vain, but I like the looks of cartos and atis on the reo :) Reminds me of a remote controlled car for some reason. Very sporty.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
Awesome! Thanks for the info. Just ordered one. Have a couple of regular atomizers on the way too, but figured it would be more convenient to rebuild if I could.

It's vain, but I like the looks of cartos and atis on the reo :) Reminds me of a remote controlled car for some reason. Very sporty.

I don't know if you are interested or not, but I have read that some people have also used the By Leo Dripper Spiral on a REO as well, it has the same type of ceramic cup and coil assembly. I have not tried it my self, I have a Dripper pro. :)

KAS

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I have an LP Reo, and my atty was late, so my first vape on it was a carto, and my second vape on it was a ByLeo Dripper Pro. Not GREAT, cause you're squonking juice up a hole intended for air, but it works...

Never used a Sophia on it...

I don't know if you are interested or not, but I have read that some people have also used the By Leo Dripper Spiral on a REO as well, it has the same type of ceramic cup and coil assembly. I have not tried it my self, I have a Dripper pro. :)

KAS

Reactions: kas122461

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
I have an LP Reo, and my atty was late, so my first vape on it was a carto, and my second vape on it was a ByLeo Dripper Pro. Not GREAT, cause you're squonking juice up a hole intended for air, but it works...

Never used a Sophia on it...

I never even tried it, I didn't think it would work, so is the problem with it that it does not drain very well?

KAS

Okay I tried it does not work to well for me, with no top air flow, it is kind of a problem. I also had a hard time making battery contact.:oops:

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I have a bunch of By Leo gear from my ProVari days, including several Sopia's, eBaron Pro's (later called Dripper Pro), several tanks, spares, etc. They are from about 2 years ago though so I know nothing about a V2 Sopia. But to rebuild them you either needed to buy premade coils only available in a couple of net well above sub ohm values, premade ready wires to wrap your own, obtain the right resistance and no resistance wire and twist your own NR-R-NR wires, or get a wire welder to make your own ready wires. I bought 50 ready wires, quality was spotty so I bought a Zapper V2 welder ($100 back then) and made my own. One short session and I had enough ready wires to see me to the end of using that gear. Made for some very expensive coils IOW.

Builds would be very limited to small micro coils and such small wicking I have to wonder if I could get even a couple of LDLH between squonks. I have not dug the Sopia's/eBaron's out to try squonking them, but by design I wouldn't think they would be very good for it. Very small pass thru holes to start with, so no VG heavy joose maybe. You'd have to have the joose flow control closed down nearly, squonk blind into a very, very small area just right to not flood the small coils that even dripping could easily flood in the case of the eBaron. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: kas122461

Un5tab1e

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
United States
I have a bunch of By Leo gear from my ProVari days, including several Sopia's, eBaron Pro's (later called Dripper Pro), several tanks, spares, etc. They are from about 2 years ago though so I know nothing about a V2 Sopia. But to rebuild them you either needed to buy premade coils only available in a couple of net well above sub ohm values, premade ready wires to wrap your own, obtain the right resistance and no resistance wire and twist your own NR-R-NR wires, or get a wire welder to make your own ready wires. I bought 50 ready wires, quality was spotty so I bought a Zapper V2 welder ($100 back then) and made my own. One short session and I had enough ready wires to see me to the end of using that gear. Made for some very expensive coils IOW.

Builds would be very limited to small micro coils and such small wicking I have to wonder if I could get even a couple of LDLH between squonks. I have not dug the Sopia's/eBaron's out to try squonking them, but by design I wouldn't think they would be very good for it. Very small pass thru holes to start with, so no VG heavy joose maybe. You'd have to have the joose flow control closed down, squonk blind into a very, very small area just right to not flood the small coils that even dripping could easily flood in the case of the eBaron. Hmmmm.
I had an original Penelope from my GG days. Same concept,had to buy pre-made wire and it was a pain.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
So I visited Billie's site and checked out the Sopia V2. There are major changes from the original Sophia's I have stored. As usual his description is lacking, so best I could make out from the small pictures/video... it appears the ceramic cups are gone, no need for NR-R-NR wires, it is far easier to rebuild, can host a slightly larger coil, but it still doesn't look like it would squonk joose very well. At best PG heavy maybe. See he still has about the same tanks to use the Sopia's in too (I have a couple of Slim's, a Slim Pro and Cage I used the Sopia's in... as well as some Kir Fanis and GP SnP's).

So a 55 EUR carto that you can rebuild within narrow limits, but that might or might not squonk worth beans unless maybe with PG heavy joose. I still see them as working best in the tank environment they were designed for.

If you like the carto look on a Reo, cartos are far cheaper. I've got boxes of them someplace that I bought for my first US made IBT/Phiniac tanks. Used a couple of the cartos, they sucked, the IBT tanks sucked too, so I bought a bunch of Sopia's and Euro tanks.

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
I have to say that I still like the V1 Sophia, even with the NR-R-NR wires, the taste is great. I also about a month ago ordered a Sophia V2 to try in one of my Billet Box's and I don't think the flavor is as good as the V1's are, and I personally find that the V2's are a major pain to build on, I finally got one to work fairly good using a spaced coil, which I had not tried in years. It is working but seems to be muting flavor, which is what I really vape for. (other than the nicotine) I am still playing with it though, I really want it to work in my BB. :2c:

KAS

bfisher

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2013
Springfield, Ohio, USA
Well, the Sophia arrived in the mail today, so I thought I'd provide a quick update with my experience in case anyone else wanders along with a similar question.

THE SOPHIA TOTALLY KICKS ... ON THE REO!

If anyone is to go down this route, my suggestion is to not get frustrated trying to build the SOPHIA the first couple of times around. The build deck is absolutely tiny. I'm guessing that it took me about 6 attempts to figure out how best to hold the small parts while trying to complete the build. Then, after having completed the build I found that there were airflow issues (as mentioned above). The solution, I found, was to trim the wicks almost to the edges of the coil and then use the juice channels as airflow control.

I've ended up with a microcoil (using 28 guage kanthal) wrapped 5 or 6 times around a 2.5 mm diameter post yielding approximately 0.7 ohms.

I couldn't be happier with the results.

The SOPHIA is destined for a life atop a Tumbled Raw Aluminum REO Mini 2.1 (which, with any luck, ought to be arriving tomorrow )

Attachments

• IMG_20160120_231331~2.jpg
    IMG_20160120_231331~2.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20160120_231358~2.jpg
    IMG_20160120_231358~2.jpg
    547.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20160120_231407~2.jpg
    IMG_20160120_231407~2.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 58
Status
Not open for further replies.