Status
Not open for further replies.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
Going under the hood sounds a lot scarier than it is. It's nothing compared to a carburetor. The only real "gotcha" is putting the cover back on, it's SUPER easy to strip the threads in the back of the mod that the delrin attachment screw goes into. It needs to be lined up perfectly straight, and JUST hitting resistance, if you try to give it that last tiny snug-up, it's toast.

Not to derail the thread, but if ever there was a "hoople-event" waiting to happen, that's it. One of these days, when utter boredom overtakes me (and the weather is warmer), I'll drill that hole all the way through and get a longer screw and nut to fix the one I buggered up when I was upgrading the contacts on all my REOs.

Justice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2011
The part of Canada that doesn't get enuf Snow :(
O
Going under the hood sounds a lot scarier than it is. It's nothing compared to a carburetor. The only real "gotcha" is putting the cover back on, it's SUPER easy to strip the threads in the back of the mod that the delrin attachment screw goes into. It needs to be lined up perfectly straight, and JUST hitting resistance, if you try to give it that last tiny snug-up, it's toast.

Not to derail the thread, but if ever there was a "hoople-event" waiting to happen, that's it. One of these days, when utter boredom overtakes me (and the weather is warmer), I'll drill that hole all the way through and get a longer screw and nut to fix the one I buggered up when I was upgrading the contacts on all my REOs.

Ancient just drill all the way thru oversize the countersink on the Delrin and tap an oversized screw into it. Then you can cut the screw so it sits flush. I'd guess a #6 or #8 would do the trick.

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
I think it was Zmauls that posted to use a "Machine screws, Phillips flat head, Stainless steel 18-8, #2-56 x 7/8" " He gave a link HERE, I've just been too lazy to make a special trip to Lowes/Home Depot to snag a few. The really nice part about having multiple REOs is that there's no rush to run out and get the parts if something goes south.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
I think it was Zmauls that posted to use a "Machine screws, Phillips flat head, Stainless steel 18-8, #2-56 x 7/8" " He gave a link HERE, I've just been too lazy to make a special trip to Lowes/Home Depot to snag a few. The really nice part about having multiple REOs is that there's no rush to run out and get the parts if something goes south.

I should have done the back-up thing a while back..I'm kicking meself now for just now ordering another one. :(

MamaTried

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2013
Northern California

precisely why i have.... oh, a handful of Reos :)

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I just found the culprit in why my little mean greenie wasn't hitting as well as my other mini. I had cleaned it, replaced the 510 pin and firing pin with a gold one, and cleaned (or so I thought) the spring really well. I went to change out the spring for a gold one and...AHAH!!! there it was, the aluminum in the screw hole had oxidized to a dark grey. The weak link had been found :) A little 99% iso scrub to all parts, some No-ox-ID and it was like night and day.

Aal_

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2012
Toronto
I just found the culprit in why my little mean greenie wasn't hitting as well as my other mini. I had cleaned it, replaced the 510 pin and firing pin with a gold one, and cleaned (or so I thought) the spring really well. I went to change out the spring for a gold one and...AHAH!!! there it was, the aluminum in the screw hole had oxidized to a dark grey. The weak link had been found :) A little 99% iso scrub to all parts, some No-ox-ID and it was like night and day.
Yep. That small contact point where the screw screws in the body is of utmost importance.

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
MotherNatural,..The firing pin came in the mail today..Thank you so much honey! My LPG is back in business now and you deserve the REO Pinky Lift!

SiriusPinky_zpsa570da64.gif

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
I finish concrete for a living so my work reo has been giving me slightly less performance lately, so I guess it would be about time to give her some TLC haha.

I work as a logger in dusty conditions and find that the occasional bath does wonders for my Grand's performance.
We're kind of neighbors by the way--I live north of you in Colville. Hi! :)
Roger

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
A huge "thank you" for taking the time to post this. Have noticed a slight decrease in firing ability with my beloved Mini. I'm really good with bathing and other maintanance but had not unscrewed, cleaned and Naoloxed that area in quite a spell. I did so today. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary but followed thru just the same. I am noticing a nice change (quicker firing). I did other fiddling so I'm not sure that the coil was the culprit but now it is part of my "check-list" for future trouble shooting. Again, thank you.

Pneathery

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2011
Surfside Beach SC
I've got to say a great big thank you Rob!!!! I just pulled out my little swiss army knife, used the nail file on a REO mini, and BAM! hitting like a mack truck. I'm in love again :) . its been a year since iv used a REO.......and this is why I fell in love with it.. Now I just need to fix my REO Grand again and I will truly be happy. I broke the positive spring again.....first time was 1.5 years, second one was 3-6 months.....I think I know why now. I was pushing harder trying to get a better hit. I would bottom out the battery every single hit.....all I needed was a file and some nalox, and I would have quit pressing so hard. I also broke (collapsed) both springs trying out some sub ohm rebuildables......but even with my extender I was shorting it out I gather. Now I know, and thanks for putting the rebuild able kits up for sale instead of me mailing it all away and waiting to get it all back....no more packing rep's with golf balls though. Thanks again Rob!!
Presto.

Drumonron

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2009
TO: ROB @ REOSMODS

Thanks so much for this thread and for always being there. My Reos, using information
like that found in this thread that you and the users provide, simply do not breakdown or need
anything(though I still do need to send that vv reo grand to you for switch service but that's on
me-hee hee)...you did say you'd pay for shipping to and from and it worked fine for about a year.

Though I do not contact you much, I appreciate knowing you care
enough about after sales service to bring us this kind of information.

I have many Grands, and now, with the Rebuildables I am valuing them all like
they are new.

Just wanted to express my appreciation for your never ending efforts.

Finally, please tell me you have an apprentice who you are passing down your REO skills to.

The world is a better place for having REOSMODS in it.

Have a wonderful day, my friend.

Vape on!

Drumonron

PS. Got the Chalice III, amazing! Markbugs and REOSMODS....unstoppable dynamic duo!!!!!

ordered a 2nd Chalice III - I have a lot of grands!!!

Last edited:

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
TO: ROB @ REOSMODS

Thanks so much for this thread and for always being there. My Reos, using information
like that found in this thread that you and the users provide, simply do not breakdown or need
anything(though I still do need to send that vv reo grand to you for switch service but that's on
me-hee hee)...you did say you'd pay for shipping to and from and it worked fine for about a year.

Though I do not contact you much, I appreciate knowing you care
enough about after sales service to bring us this kind of information.

I have many Grands, and now, with the Rebuildables I am valuing them all like
they are new.

Just wanted to express my appreciation for your never ending efforts.

Finally, please tell me you have an apprentice who you are passing down your REO skills to.

The world is a better place for having REOSMODS in it.

Have a wonderful day, my friend.

Vape on!

Drumonron

PS. Got the Chalice III, amazing! Markbugs and REOSMODS....unstoppable dynamic duo!!!!!

ordered a 2nd Chalice III - I have a lot of grands!!!
Your most welcome my friend and thank you . I have been passing the trade down the line . The only problem is there only a few years younger then me . I tried the younger folk none of them seem to wanna work more then just enough to get by

redeyedancer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Maine
Hi Rob, Just a note to say I received mae west woodvil #138 today and she is looking mighty fine with brand new contacts. It also looks like perhaps you cleaned up the old 510. Thank you so much XOXOXOXOX
Your most welcome I noticed they hit much harder with the new contacts . I didn't check them under load but I can tell without hooking them up to a meter

Sirius

Star Puppy
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2013
North Carolina
Your most welcome I noticed they hit much harder with the new contacts . I didn't check them under load but I can tell without hooking them up to a meter

Rob I'm still not fully settled into my new home in SC,..but I'm still up for the newest version of the REO LPG with the new 510 and contacts..I'll hit you up soon..btw,..with the repair kit we put together for my old LPG,..she should be good for quite a few more years. As long as that 510 holds out anyway..and I've not had a minutes problem ever with mine. :)

SteamStack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2014
Macomb, MI, USA
Your most welcome my friend and thank you . I have been passing the trade down the line . The only problem is there only a few years younger then me . I tried the younger folk none of them seem to wanna work more then just enough to get by

Sounds like I need to move to mane and come work there! My father taught me to work as if someone is watching that I need to impress regardless of what it is. So everything I do is perfection.

Too bad I dont have a job right now as I'm currently a stay at home father waiting for something to smack me in the face telling me thats what I want to do with my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread