Request For Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatchHead

Aug 12, 2015
Hi All,

I want to try something and I would appreciate some opinions from those with experience. But before I get to it I need to tell you about myself.

I vape to keep off the cigarettes. I like it, but no cigarettes is the goal. I'm also on a very limited income so I cut costs wherever I can. Which leads me to this post. :)

I found this USB battery pack/charger for cheap. It seems like an easy way to use better batteries (like 18650s instead of the store bought tubed ones).

I can mount a tank to it but mossy pets, fusses, and the like, are above my electronical pay grade. :)

Are there any safety concerns with wiring a tank and switch directly into this unit?

box-jpg.480172

Attachments

• Box.JPG
    Box.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 212

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Ahh...that has a better chance of working. Unfortunately there is just no way to tell if it will or not by just looking at a picture of the charger. If you try it keep an eye on how hot any component gets, especially the battery contacts in the charger, the wiring, etc.

You could try the OpenPV Reddit subforum, they do a lot of box mod stuff.

Verb

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 26, 2014
    Eastern, PA, USA

MatchHead

Aug 12, 2015
    I don't know the actual dimensions, but it fits and recharges two 18650 batteries.
    I have a momentary switch from Radio Shack that I want to use, probably mount in the space at the top where the circuit board is, and my plan was to attach the tank on the side of the box. Haven't figured that part out yet.

I'm looking at 2 LMR batteries from Excell Battery. I think it's a Canadian company.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    I like do it yourself projects----and this one looks like fun. I am running a Radio Shack Momentary Switch rite now on my homemade mod.

If you keep your builds/coils at 1.25 or higher as far as ohms go you should be alright. My switch never gets warm and battery contacts stay cool.

This project of your definitely looks do able. Just do a good solder job and check for isolation of the positive and negative leeds and wires. Don't let hot touch cold accidentlly.

This is my homemade box----I have isolated the battery spring from the power using rubber washers.-------used Radio Shack momentary switch ---glued plastic button on for trick look-
    MilkmanMod.jpg
    RewiredMod.jpg
    whiteMod.jpg

thetrucker

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    I used a 510 connector from worn out ego battery and pulled the center pin and soldered a wire to it and reinstalled it back into the housing and soldered a

wire to the outside of the 510 housing for a ground. If you take your time and be cautious you can pull it off.

Check the parts by feeling of them and checking for serious heat.---batteries--switch---contacts....If you run 1.2 or higher ohmsit will keep the strain on the

batteries and switch down to a minimum. If you could see your way clear to run just 1

18650 battery it would give you more room for wire and switch and a 510 connector.

Just an idea...........

MatchHead

Aug 12, 2015
    Thanks Trucker! I like the plastic button mod. I really don't like my RS button very much so I will probably try it on mine.

That Sentinal looks cool! Too bad it's discontinued.

Well, here it is. I know its not very pretty but it actually works. And with 2 650s it runs all day on a single charge.

The charger works and even seems to function as a pass through.

2.jpg

Reactions: thetrucker

thetrucker

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    @MatchHead --------------------------------Nice mod I like it !!!!!!!!!!!

Good Job!!!!!!!-----------I bought a cheap license plate frame a few years back and it had plastic chrome buttons to snap over the bolt heads to dress up

the frame----------I kept the buttons ---------and removed the button from the momentary Radio Shack switch---it just snaps off-------I glued with epoxy the Radio Shack

button down into the license plate button and when it was dry just snapped it back onto the little shaft and now I have a big chrome button to fire my mod with.

If you have more than one Radio Shack switch you can snap one button off and change buttons from red to black to your own concocktion.

You could take coins---shirt buttons--ball bearings--anything that you could glue onto the Radio Shack button and have a multitude of choices to use---and change

from day to day as you wish-----just an idea that went thru my head.....................................

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread