Research paper: Long-term e-cigarette use and smoking cessation: a longitudinal study with US popula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
Long-term e-cigarette use and smoking cessation: a longitudinal study with US population | Tobacco Control
Results At 2-year follow-up, 43.7% of baseline dual users were still using e-cigarettes. Long-term e-cigarette users had a higher quit attempt rate than short-term or non-users (72.6% vs 53.8% and 45.5%, respectively), and a higher cessation rate (42.4% vs 14.2% and 15.6%, respectively). The difference in cessation rate between long-term users and non-users remained significant after adjusting for baseline variables, OR=4.1 (95% CI 1.5 to 11.4) as did the difference between long-term users and short-term users, OR=4.8 (95% CI 1.6 to 13.9). The difference in cessation rate between short-term users and non-users was not significant, OR=0.9 (95% CI 0.5 to 1.4). Among those making a quit attempt, use of e-cigarettes as a cessation aid surpassed that of FDA-approved pharmacotherapy.

Conclusions Short-term e-cigarette use was not associated with a lower rate of smoking cessation. Long-term use of e-cigarettes was associated with a higher rate of quitting smoking.

Finally, a research team got it right...

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Interesting, but I find the terms and methodology a bit strange. If I had been included in this survey, I would have been in the "Used Cigarettes only" category in 2012, without any intention to quit. At follow up, I would have been in the "Used E-Cigarettes", and thus a "short term" e-cig user despite the fact that I completely quit smoking in under a week in 2013 and have vaped daily ever since?

But the bottom line is:
  • Dual use of e-cigarettes and cigarettes was not associated with a lower smoking cessation rate.
  • Long-term e-cigarette use was associated with a higher smoking cessation rate.
:thumb:

bobwho77

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Ypsilanti mi
Interesting, but I find the terms and methodology a bit strange. If I had been included in this survey, I would have been in the "Used Cigarettes only" category in 2012, without any intention to quit. At follow up, I would have been in the "Used E-Cigarettes", and thus a "short term" e-cig user despite the fact that I completely quit smoking in under a week in 2013 and have vaped daily ever since?

But the bottom line is:

:thumb:
Much like you, I quit smoking "Accidentally" a few days after I got my first mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread