Resistance - coil size & mech mod builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

VapeS1000r

Sep 3, 2016
Hello everyone

I recently picked up a vgod pro that I intend to use with a new vtc4.

But before that I'd like to talk about different coil sizes while keeping ohms constant.

Look at these photos:

The resistance in both builds are almost the same. One is .19 and the other .21

But the vape experience is very different.

I personally vape on dual coils on regulated mods from .10 to .22
Wattage between 80 and a 100

I noticed that with smaller coils, despite them being the same ohm resistance as larger ones, the vape experience differs a lot.
So for sake of testing, I installed two coils more or less the same resistance, same wick length & thickness, same goon atomizers and juice I'm very familiar with

With smaller coils:
There is a ton of popping & spit back
I have to drop wattage to 20
Coils instantly get hot & juice tastes different
My puff length is also significantly shorter

With larger coils :
Opposite of the above
Ramp up time is much longer but I remedy that by pulsing it a bit before taking a proper puff

Why I'm mentioning all this is because I installed .19 ohm dual coils and a fresh battery

And the experience was just utterly whelming
Obviously long ramp up time but even then.
Just utterly underwhelming.

I guess by now you're probably wondering what I expected.
I guess I didn't have a lot of expectations.
92 watts from my build at 4.2 is technically the same as 92 watts on any of my regulated devices
I don't know.
Am I missing something?

Other than aesthetics (tube size vs box mod) and longevity (tube won't break like a reg mod), why go mech mod?

Do mech mods prefer a different style of coil build?
Low ohms but smaller coils?
Like I said, I don't like smaller coils (like in my photo) because of the popping/spit back & instant heat.

See this video where I demonstrate the popping from small coils vs large coils
You can hear the difference in popping.

IMG_20170112_202223_zpsiqrn6fxc_edit_1484470714450_zpssd7nenmh_edit_1484470936780_zpsa8wln9fq.jpg

IMG_20170112_202156_zpsbbtpiga8_edit_1484470881372_zpsjovgxtju.jpg

IMG_20170112_202134_zpsuxyo7j6f.jpg

IMG_20170112_202109_zpsbac7egwr_edit_1484471142903_zpshgawduj1.jpg

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
The longer ramp up time is from that huge mass of metal you have in those exotic/clapton/railroad track looking coils.

Try building some simple contact coils.

Try something like this
View attachment 628525
6 wraps 24awg 2.5mm ID comes out to .28 on a Goon
Its used on a copper rose finch mech mod, I have no problems with whimpy clouds ;)

What these guys said!

I personally like parallel coils (I think @Bad Ninja is the one who got me hooked) when I'm looking to get "crazy" with my clouds.

Verb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Eastern, PA, USA
When calculating power delivered to the coil you need to include sag. A battery with a 4.2V resting measurement will fire at about 3.8V on a .2 ohm coil. So, you are looking at a 70W to 50W slide from fresh charged to swap time.

It's easiest to learn mech building with naked wire, but if you're going to use Clapton wire don't go heavier than 34g on the wrap (38g or 40g ideally).

I like 3 or 4 wide spaced wraps around a wide diameter (3.5mm to 4.5mm).

Reactions: petrotech

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
When calculating power delivered to the coil you need to include sag. A battery with a 4.2V resting measurement will fire at about 3.8V on a .2 ohm coil. So, you are looking at a 70W to 50W slide from fresh charged to swap time.

It's easiest to learn mech building with naked wire, but if you're going to use Clapton wire don't go heavier than 34g on the wrap (38g or 40g ideally).

I like 3 or 4 wide spaced wraps around a wide diameter (3.5mm to 4.5mm).

Yup. I don't like "fancy builds" on my mechs. too much ramp up time. simple contact coils work for me. i recently started using 28 gauge N80 wire that I like.

Reactions: Verb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread