Resistance Wire - Kanthal/Nichrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Well I was speaking of the sense of power your getting out of it. I vape strictly tobaccos. I do not run it at 5 volts all the time just saying micros give better performance, many times people are going lower ohms to get better performance. With micros you can be much higher in ohms and get similar or better performance all around. (The number in my head is half, 3ohm micro = 1.5 ohm in certain aspects) In other words if your wrapping regular coils to 1.5 a 3ohm can give you that performance your looking for. I have been doing 32g kanthal because it's all I have had, so I've worked with it.. But I'll have budget soon for some 30 and 28 g Nichrome.

Air flow plays a large role in performance of hotter coils. Micros are a lot of mass heating up.

Last edited:

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
I wrapped 3 coils today. The first turned out a little too high for my liking at 3.5 ohms. I used it for a few hours and decided to try for the mid 2 ohm range. The other two coils ended up at 2.4 ohms. I just did not like the 3.5. Since I use twist batteries at work, I need something a little lower. The 2.4s might be as good as it gets for my evod heads.

HazMatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Columbia, TN, USA
I am wrapping micro coils with cotton wicks. And I dry burn every time I change flavors.

I dispose of the old wick, rinse the tank thoroughly, dry with paper towels, dry burn the coil, then replace the cotton wick.

I dry burn with the power all the way down, 3.2v on a twist or 3v on my vamo. I pulse the fire button for about 2 or 3 seconds at a time. I keep pulsing until the coils are glowing nice and clean.

Kaiser Bob

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Denver, CO
I was going to ask a similar question. It looks like I found part of my answer. I need a lower awg size. Maybe 28 awg.

I have started rebuilding my evod/protank heads. All I currently have is 32awg Kanthal a-1. This seems to work fine for rebuilding to a stock coil style...4 to 6 wraps spaced evenly apart. This has been giving me 1.5 to 2.3 ohms.

However, I want to try some micro coils in my evod/protank heads. I would like to make coils with 8-12 wraps (depending on what will fit in the head) so that I have more surface area. 4 wraps of 32g mashed into a micro coil is ridiculously small. I want to keep the resistance around 2 ohms because, I use these on twists and spinners while I am out and about or at work.

I am also going to purchase my first rda soon. Probably an Igo-W. The 32g wire should work fine for my intended dual coil builds. Building two coils at 3.6 ohms each should give me the desired 1.8 ohm resistance if, I am correct in my thinking. The reason I want higher ohms on my rda is so that I can use it on my SiD or Vamo.

I know, this is not as sexy as sub-ohms on a mech. But, this is keeping me satisfied and off of the stinkies. And, I don't own a mech or dna20 mod...yet ;-)

You can accomplish what you are going for by doubling up your 32ga kanthal and twisting it, should result in a resistance close to 27-28ga.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk 4

Johnnysb

Moved On
Sep 25, 2013
San Jose, CA
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Linkspammer

McCordRM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ok, so I'm starting to think about getting into rebuildables.
Looking at the chart, it looks like the thicker the wire the less resistance?
For example:

30 awg (Ω/in)----- 0.7
32 awg (Ω/in)----- 1.2

The 30 awg is thicker than the 32 awg? I thought a thicker wire would more resistance.

EDM92

Verified Member
Feb 14, 2014
USA
If I want to make mostly .2-.4 ohm dual coil RDA builds, what gauge Kanthal A1 should I go with? 24,26,28?

Edit: Yes, I am aware of battery safety. I have Sony VTC4s and I know not to overwork them. Just wanted to say this in advance as I know you all are great guys and will want to look out for me! :)

Last edited:

stylezuk

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Calculator for iOS and Android devices,

in case you would need it while :
- traveling or so...
- willing to convert between different metric system

more will come shortly

comment(s)/feedback(s) are welcome !

You can get Vaper's Tool box for £0 maybe just have advertisement supported, I'm well aware of time taken etc but launching an app even at 50p when there is already one available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread