Not open for further replies.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I have what is hopefully a quick question about wire gauges. Is there a reason why the commonly used gauges are even numbered (28, 30, 32 etc)? Are odd numbered gauges not a good choice?

Just found what I was looking for, thank you. It lets you model what you'd like to obtain based on all the variables. Thanks for the work.

TornadoAlley

Verified Member
Aug 19, 2014
Oklahoma
Why would 32ga. be better than 28ga(My go to gauge) for lower ohm coils. I build .4-.6.7ohms with regularity on a 5/64th bit w/ 7wraps of 28. on a dual rda.Nimbus,Igo-W.
Imo, it wouldn't be. 26 or 28 is you're best bet. Someone else may know more than me and disagree. But I use 24 for .25-.4 and 26 for .4-7ish.

TornadoAlley

Verified Member
Aug 19, 2014
Oklahoma
Oh, btw; kanthal REALLY starts to show it's weak side down there in the fatty range. It's slow and kin'a limp. A 26 Nichrome build (=25g Kanthal) at .4-.5Ω may prove more satisfying. . . . . .definitely will kick harder/faster. Not sayin', just sayin'
If you build the "fatty" sizes into a microcoil (with coils touching) does it help with the speed issues you're speaking of?

maxd

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2014
NYC,NY
Calculator for iOS and Android devices,

in case you would need it while :
- traveling or so...
- willing to convert between different metric system

more will come shortly

comment(s)/feedback(s) are welcome !

Just to be nice for nice forum :)

Promo Codes for Apple/iOS devices:
K4FEAHPHFYYF
KT4MLHN6XYJM
YEWF4RJ69TNE
YR9YE7HHKFF3
9AMNH9Y47W9E
4L3L73LPWREM
6L6HW7LLAW7W
KN6NJAT37LJH
HT33LKEKT447
TFWMKNMML6M9
T9NWL34WP3Y9
NR9EKEWHM4JH
HLPTMR9PET4L
AFA4YX9K6NYJ
9J33NLPFMPFJ
T67PLW7YW7JX
4HL6W3PYLFY3
RJER6HFJEENL
R3NHM9R79JF4
K3NKLNEMNW6A
3WFTMH4W77WE
7T43YY963FH9
9PX3YHHF6JRN
KANRJJRMEFJJ
797FHNK7MPNX
NAN93ARX4TA7
RJLNHE3NRFXT
34XKF9XWA34H
LEK9JTN99XTM
PAEFPJKXPY9L

first come first served basis

Shame that Android/Google does not support Promos.

foolswithsometools

Apr 19, 2015
High power vaping on giant coils with thick wires: Whats better for this, kanthal or nichrome?
Ive been using nothing but kanthal since the beginning of time but see lots of super big and low gauge coils being built with nichrome more and more and was wondering about it (since I thought nichrome died when kanthal started getting bigger). I see people using stuff like 20g and 18g nichrome, isnt nichrome lower resistance than kanthal? And whats better about it specifically (taste, heat up, hot spots, etc)? Is there a place for nichrome in high voltage or series stacked battery vaping?
Ive settled on 24-20g kanthal after vaping for so long and since temp control is still expensive, I might as well perfect my mech builds if nichrome really is better for what Im doing

CaliGrower

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
norcal
6 one, half dozen the other.

i use both kanthal and nichrome, and love them both and hate them both, all depending on what specifically im using them for. the only time ive EVER gotten any sort of metallic taste,ect from either one is when i first got into rebuildables and if i didnt clean it properly before wrapping my coils.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
I just started to rebuild, I have a question, when do you know it's time to make a new coil?
I have been vaping on this one for 1week but so far I don't taste anything different, does it taste dull when it got too old? or how do I know?

I personally vape on mine until I feel like rebuilding a new one. I use 22 awg wire, which at 4.3v, has never broken. When the cotton gets nasty in my dripper, I just take it out, dry burn the atty and load new cotton.

I'm sure some will tell you it should be changed every x number of hours use but I'm not interested in optimal performance or worried about long term use because my long term is well in the past tense. I took care of that with 43 years of smoking. ;):)

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
I just started to rebuild, I have a question, when do you know it's time to make a new coil?
I have been vaping on this one for 1week but so far I don't taste anything different, does it taste dull when it got too old? or how do I know?

I replace the coil when it is easier to build and replace it than cleaning it:

Sometimes there is much gunk on the coil that it is much easier build a new one than do the whole process of cleaning it (dry burn it, brush it, rinse it, etc), besides that it gives you the chance to clean all the residues of liquid in your atomizer (vaporization section).

Skeintastic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2016
FYI
_20160715_145915.JPG

There's a YouTube video (or two) on rebuilding ViVi Nova coils, and one of the guys says to always run a match under the piece of wire and wipe it off before using, to get rid of any factory oils. Such things vary by factory. Remember, this stuff is made for the purpose of creating electrical heating coils for clothes dryers, electric ovens, electric heaters, etc, and most of those smell the first time you turn them on.

I find that, once I've cut my wire to the length required, if I give it a few wipes with a bit of cotton or tissue that's been wet with surgical spirit, (rubbing alcohol), and let it dry for a few moments I get a much cleaner taste from a new coil. I mainly build with SS316L but found the same effect on Kanthal A1. I use SS now because noticeably less metallic taste than Kanthal coils. Its a great wire to work with too. Also spaced coils all the way; NO hot-spots and considerably less gunk build up. (SS316L, 3mm id, 9 wraps, 0.5mm spacing in Big Baby RBA with Native Wicks cotton minimal wicks @ 47w = flavour NIRVANA, no leaks, 1 week between wick changes and 8 months now on same coil!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread