Resistance Wire - Kanthal/Nichrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
got my aga-t setup with 32 kanthal a-1 and 500 ss mesh. It is working pretty good.
I tried to use the 28 kanthal that came with my aga-t, but my pv kept shorting out with it.
I was able to get it to 1ohm to 1.2 ohm and it worked ok...if it went under 1 ohm it would error.

Im having a hard time if I try too many wraps....even with the 32awg. If I do around 4 wraps... I am ok.
If I try to go with 6 or 7 wraps....I cant seem too get rid of all of the hot spots. The top coil usually is the culprit.
Is there even a reason to go with 6 or 7 wraps? Will I see any benefit?

pmoraldo

REO Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gilbert, Arizona
got my aga-t setup with 32 kanthal a-1 and 500 ss mesh. It is working pretty good.
I tried to use the 28 kanthal that came with my aga-t, but my pv kept shorting out with it.
I was able to get it to 1ohm to 1.2 ohm and it worked ok...if it went under 1 ohm it would error.

Im having a hard time if I try too many wraps....even with the 32awg. If I do around 4 wraps... I am ok.
If I try to go with 6 or 7 wraps....I cant seem too get rid of all of the hot spots. The top coil usually is the culprit.
Is there even a reason to go with 6 or 7 wraps? Will I see any benefit?

More coils = larger heating surface area which usually means more of everything flavor vapor etc

Sent while Hyper Vapin a Trippy Tipped Reo

Lunatik

Jan 2, 2013
USA
Last edited:

Envithyx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
NorCal
FYI. I stumbled on this site that carries kanthal A1 at just about any gauge you want. I even saw 33 awg which is really rare to see. But the prices for 100 ft is a steal. http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/search.html?t1=Kanthal&page=1

It also appears that they carry nichrome 60 as well.

Thanks for the link. Been holding off buying any wire since I still have what came with my RBA, but been looking for a supplier to order some 30 and 32 AWG.

Was going to order from RTD Vapor, but can't beat a one stop supplier with so many sizes and lengths. Price was great too.

Just ordered the following for less than $20 shipped.

Kanthal Wire 32 Gauge RW0097 - 100 FT 0.25oz Series A-1 Resistance AWG
Shipping: Ground - $1.90
Price $8.90

Kanthal Wire 30 Gauge RW0107 - 100 FT 0.39oz Series A-1 Resistance AWG
Shipping: Ground - $1.90
Price $5.90

They also say the following about their wire:

•Computerized spooling by weight. You'll get what you paid for, guaranteed.
•Clean production environment houses spooling process.
•We have a physical location. If you have questions, we want to hear from you. Want to talk wire or pick up your order? Stop by and we'd be glad to have you.
•Proudly Made in the U.S.A. ZERO wire imports policy.
•Perfectly tensioned. Zero elongation, scratches, or other flaws.
•ZERO contaminants. Hands-off feeding eliminates skin salts & oils.
•Ships from stock same day as order. Most orders received in 1 to 3 days!
•Our return policy: If you don't like it, we'll take it back & pay the shipping!
•Best price & quality guaranteed! - We pass on our buying power with low prices.
•As an OEM, we use many of the products we sell. As a result, only high quality winding materials are offered to you.

Seems like a win win. :thumbs:

VaporPhreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
Just wanted to through my 2 cents in on the topic of NiChrome VS Kanthal. I've been using an RBA for about 2 weeks and up until today it was all NiChrome. Things with NiChrome were fine but I found it built up a layer of black grit after a day or so and would need cleaned or replaced. Just picked up some Kanthal from a local shop and the difference is STAGGERING! The flavor with Kanthal is VASTLY better than it was with NiChrome and is providing a much more consistent hit than the NiChrome did.

SloHand

Eh?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 8, 2011
Kingston, Ontario
Just wanted to through my 2 cents in on the topic of NiChrome VS Kanthal. I've been using an RBA for about 2 weeks and up until today it was all NiChrome. Things with NiChrome were fine but I found it built up a layer of black grit after a day or so and would need cleaned or replaced. Just picked up some Kanthal from a local shop and the difference is STAGGERING! The flavor with Kanthal is VASTLY better than it was with NiChrome and is providing a much more consistent hit than the NiChrome did.

Which devices are you using? I happen to be a big Kanthal supportor over Nichrome too :)

xpen

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2012
Italy
You should be able to easily make 2 to 3 ohm coils with 34 gauge kanthal

32 gauge seems better for less than ~2.5 ohm

36 gauge probably 2.8 and higher ohms.

It all depends on wick diameter and the number of wraps you can get in the space you have to work with.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
I always make/use resistances around 3ohm, using Kanthal A/A1 0.15mm (it falls in between 34 and 35g, apparently): 4 tight wraps on 2x 2.5mm wicks (doubled) and you achieve 3/3.1 ohm dead on.

Be careful going to wire thinner than 35g, 3 wraps on a normal-sized wick (3mm) and you're probably well beyond 3ohm...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread