response from Senator Dianne Feinstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolexman

Oct 20, 2013
Thousand Oaks, Ca
Thank you for contacting me to express your views about electronic cigarettes. I appreciate the time you took to write and welcome this opportunity to respond.

As you know, electronic cigarettes, or "e-cigarettes," typically contain liquid nicotine which is vaporized and inhaled by the user. I recognize that these devices have become popular in recent years and that some individuals have been able to use them successfully as smoking cessation aids.

While I am a strong supporter of smoking cessation aids, I believe it is important that consumers have accurate information about their safety and effectiveness. Nicotine is a highly addictive and dangerous drug, and some public health groups have expressed concern that e-cigarettes may be marketed to children and other vulnerable populations as a "safe" alternative to traditional cigarettes. In addition, there is a lack of research about the effectiveness of electronic cigarettes as smoking cessation aids and about the safety of these products, some of which have been found to contain traces of toxic chemicals. Courts have ruled that e-cigarette manufacturers must submit evidence of a product's safety and effectiveness in controlling cigarette cravings before advertising an e-cigarette for this purpose.

The Family Smoking Prevention and tobacco Control Act, signed into law in 2009, gave the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) authority to regulate cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, roll-your-own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco products. In addition, the Act gave the FDA authority to issue a "deeming rule" making other tobacco-containing products subject to FDA regulation. To date, the FDA has not issued a "deeming rule" for electronic cigarettes, and these products remain unregulated by the FDA.

The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act also requires that the FDA investigate new ways to ensure the safety and effectiveness of smoking cessation products, and to promote their use. On December 17, 2012, the FDA held a public hearing and invited comments via its website about smoking cessation. After reviewing these comments, the FDA will issue a report to Congress with proposals about ways to promote smoking cessation products and ensure their safety. Please know that I have made note of your support for e-cigarettes, and will keep it in mind as I review the FDA's report.

Again, thank you for writing. If you have additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841 or visit my website at United States Senator Dianne Feinstein. Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

backitdown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
On a boat in So.CA
Why bother- that women is USELESS - The good folks in California p*ss and moan and then re elect the same idiots into office time and time again. Lets face it - the Dem's have ruined this fine state. They give as much money to the unions as they can and soon will bankrupt the state. Leaving the other states to bails us out in a few years down the line.

Sorry for the small rant- but- I could continue.

Jay-dub

Moved On
Oct 10, 2013
Kansas City, MO
No...basically she's saying:

"Please know that I have made note of your support for e-cigarettes, and will keep it in mind as I review the FDA's report. "

Thats a little different. There's plenty of time to get ...... off when she actually takes a position.

You seem to have and excess of optimism. May I borrow some? :)

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
No...basically she's saying:

"Please know that I have made note of your support for e-cigarettes, and will keep it in mind as I review the FDA's report. "

Thats a little different. There's plenty of time to get ...... off when she actually takes a position.

Ms. Feinstein regurgitated the same misinformed and unscientific anti-ecig twaddle that the tobacco control industry's spoonfed to the media over the last several years. If nothing else, that indicates that her position will be based on information and arguments from decidedly vaper-hostile sources.

She acknowledged the OP's support for e-cigs; I suppose that's something. But she also said that she did not and will not listen to what e-cig supporters say.

Pocha

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
But she also said that she did not and will not listen to what e-cig supporters say.

I'm sorry has she said that in the past? Because i didn't see that in her response at all. I plan to lobby her hard as possible when the time comes and I just shy away from preemptive hysteria an pessimism, I guess.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
I'm sorry has she said that in the past? Because i didn't see that in her response at all. I plan to lobby her hard as possible when the time comes and I just shy away from preemptive hysteria an pessimism, I guess.

No, but she conveyed that message quite clearly in the email/letter quoted in the OP. Seriously, reading the following passage is like spraying yourself in the face with weaponized Eau d'ANTZ:

"Nicotine is a highly addictive and dangerous drug, and some public health groups have expressed concern that e-cigarettes may be marketed to children and other vulnerable populations as a "safe" alternative to traditional cigarettes. In addition, there is a lack of research about the effectiveness of electronic cigarettes as smoking cessation aids and about the safety of these products, some of which have been found to contain traces of toxic chemicals."​

In fact, I almost admire the succinctness with which Feinstein's canned-response writer summarized our opposition's non-arguments. The point is that hers was not a letter written to encourage or endorse good-faith dialogue. Quite the opposite. It's a pat on the head and a dismissive reminder that the powers-that-be have their own ideas, regardless of what you say or how right you may be.

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
She is not alone. They stopped listening a long time ago. .......s.

How have we let it come to this?

Did you know, that if 3/4 of the States ratify an amendment, it becomes part of the Constitution? That is the only way we will ever get anything like term limits passed. The public supports this idea by a 75% majority, yet it never seems to even make it to the floor for a vote! In their minds, they are a collection of elite rulers, telling us what is best for us. It is 100% our fault, too. It's not just this one, either. The vast majority of them from both parties are dreadful career politicians. I could pick 100 better Senators out of a phone book.

Damn, I have to get a white chip now at my next Political Talk Anonymous meeting.

Well, at least it was a non-partisan rant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread