Retail Locations for batteries

Discussion in 'Canada Forum' started by Overlord, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Overlord

Overlord Super Member ECF Veteran

Just curious if anyone's found 18650 or RCR123A batteries for sale in a retail location here in Canada.

There should be some place that carries them

2. Concat

Concat Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I know right? There should be... but I swear there isn't. If you find out, let a fellow Albertan know...

3. Dougiestyle

Dougiestyle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

You can buy a 6-pack of 18650s in most laptop batteries. They are flat-top and soldered in with conductive ribbon. I had no problem getting them out with a flat screwdriver and pliers. You just have to break a laptop battery to get them. I am not 100% sure which ar protected 18650s, but the ones I have seem to be constucted with a PCB.

4. Not Iris

Not Iris Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

5. DevilFishPhil

DevilFishPhil Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

BatteriesExpert.com sells 26650/18650/14500/123A batteries.

Check the link to their store finder I posted, they have a few locations in Ontario.

6. Not Iris

Good find DFP. They even have a shop here in my hamlet. Was not aware that they sold 18650

7. Vapoor eyes er

Vapoor eyes er ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Not exactly what you're looking (U.S. online) for but dirt cheap protected 18650/ 2200 mah for $4.50 + shipping. I just got together with some friends and ordered a bunch. Didn't have any problem with Customs.
    Smok Tech 18650 protected battery 2200mAh

8. mxtrouts

mxtrouts Full Member

Princess auto in Edmonton is selling flashlights with an 18650 with charger for around $20.

9. Concat

Concat Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

What's with all this Ontario business? OP lives in Alberta... lol.

10. DevilFishPhil

I don't know why we all focused on Ontario, sorry OP :)

11. Can_supplier

Can_supplier Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

12. Lori68

Lori68 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

That's because its where toronto is.....and that's the cener of the universe.....so I've heard :)

13. Not Iris

LOL Lori, that is what they say! :)

14. DevilFishPhil

I can't tell you how many times I've seen posts on RedFlagDeals along the lines of "this deal doesn't apply to Toronto, who cares" :)

15. Lori68

Lori68 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

HA! Although I'm not bashing the city (as is anyone here) it is fun to poke fun at them. After all it does seem that everything is always located there.

As for batteries out our way, bc and alberta, I think we're SOL with a retailer. I've called around to all sorts of places I could think of. Specialty battery shops, hobby stores, etc. The one place I didn't check is hunting stores. Lighthound in the US appears to be like a hunting accessory store and they sell the 18650's for flashlights.

16. sabre66

sabre66 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

In Vancouver I've gone to Battery World to get what I need and Lee's electronics for my non protected 18650 and rcr123s

17. r4nd0mCh40s

r4nd0mCh40s Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

personally I wouldn't recommend non protected batteries

18. Nergost

Nergost Full Member

From what I'm reading on the forums. When a protected battery fails it has the potential to blow up in your face. Where as a safe chemistry battery (while not necessarily safe) is more likely to vent than blow. Reosmods recomends the AW 18650 IMR which is a "safe chemistry" battery. Additionaly the spring that keeps your battery in place is also doubles as extra protection as they are designed to compress and lose their spring when shorted, thus breaking the connection. Because a protected battery is a couple mm longer than a "safe chemistry" they may take longer for the spring to compress/fuse or even worse not at all. I'm not an expert on this by any means it's just info I've picked up here in ecf over the last couple days. I have a brand new Reo that just arrived today but my order of batteries and charger from Rtdvapor still hasn't arrived :(

19. northhar

northhar Super Member ECF Veteran

Just to be clear it should say "when a unprotected battery fails it has the potential to blow up in your face."
    A protected battery has added circuitry to prevent that event, from my own use I have found that the circuitry seems very reliable and is well done.

20. Nergost

Nergost Full Member

Nope I meant what I wrote :) I admit there is an ongoing debate though. I don't have the time to figure out how to link the other page right now but ecf does recomend the aw 18650 imr as their first choice. This battery is not protected by a circuit but is protected by safe chemistry. Their second choice is a protected battery. The way I understand it is when the protected battery fails, it would be the protection circuit that fails. To be honest I think it's really apples and oranges but I think when considering the battery spring is a secondary protection and the fact a protected battery is a couple mm longer which can prevent this second level of protection from working properly I'll go with ecf and Reomods first choice and use the AW 18650 imr battery.

: madvapes
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.