Review IKV IO6 atty - First Impressions & Follow up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I believe it is confirmed. I was testing the 7mms this am and broke an IO6, went and fetched another one and just screwed it on, dripped 3 drops and vaped away never thought of blowing it out (well OK I forgot so there) :p :lol:. I was using my own drip tip, no soapy taste. So I do believe the soapy test came from improperly rinsed drip tips.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
I believe it is confirmed. I was testing the 7mms this am and broke an IO6, went and fetched another one and just screwed it on, dripped 3 drops and vaped away never thought of blowing it out (well OK I forgot so there) :p :lol:. I was using my own drip tip, no soapy taste. So I do believe the soapy test came from improperly rinsed drip tips.

Yeah - I wash all my drip tips before using them and I had no issues with the original tips/atties I received.

loft

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
CT
I've got a dumb question to ask. What exactly is the difference between 306 and io6?

I read the review. And, I've tried both atomizers. Clearly, I'm no connoisseur, but they seem much the same to me.
Out of the package and unmodified; the io6 is larger, uses minimal wicking, redesigned ceramic cup to greatly reduce leaking. Those are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I've got a dumb question to ask. What exactly is the difference between 306 and io6?

I read the review. And, I've tried both atomizers. Clearly, I'm no connoisseur, but they seem much the same to me.
Night and day, seriously. They even won the show down on Basil's show, not that a show down was required.

IMNSO the 306 quirks are non existent on this atty. Why? Because the atty was re-designed from the ground up, eliminating known quirks. When Isaac was redesigning the 306, under advice from his engineers, he had no choice but to come up with a different case (510).

His first batch of 306s were great. The second batch (USA made guts) were not so good almost a flop. The 3rd design is the IO6. The 306 though if I am not mistaken is once again entirely built in China. So I guess it all depends what is being used for comparison purposes. But IMO, the delta is night and day. YMMV.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
Have a question about the io6?

Been using it for a week on my provari and loving it. I get up this morning and I start getting E1 error constantly. I tried lowering the voltage and I keep getting the error. Does this mean the atty is gone? It's only been a week?
Check it with a multi meter.

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
Nope it just means you need to lower the voltage on the provari, you should still be good at 3.7 or so.

Inquiring minds type of question - assuming the atty was metering at 2.5ohms when new - what would cause it to drop to 1.9ohms. That sounds like a big drop to me. I've had them go down a couple points (even up) after using them but from 2.5 to 1.9 seems a big drop.

Iken

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2009
PA,USA
There's a chance it can be damaged.. All atties drop a point of a decimal or two with normal use, but dropping .6 is very high and uncommon. My provari was doing the same thing a while back before I retired it before we really upped the anti with swapping out components. I contacted Phil from Provape and his reply was to just keep using 2.5ohmed atties, which wasn't really any help at all. We know that heating elements themselves are solvents and will degrade over time hence why we stepped in with our Usa made cores that are much tougher and can take a bigger beating. My intuition tells me that theres something in the device's formation that is causing this high frequency but I can't confirm. It's sad because I went to school for electronic engineering :laugh: I do know using a booster in the provari's setup isn't the best of ideas. I'm meeting with my electronic guy on Saturday and will report back with a reasonable explanation on this drastic decrease.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Inquiring minds type of question - assuming the atty was metering at 2.5ohms when new - what would cause it to drop to 1.9ohms. That sounds like a big drop to me. I've had them go down a couple points (even up) after using them but from 2.5 to 1.9 seems a big drop.

I don't know about attys but I've had cartos drop that much and it's due to the conductivity of some of the liquids. If the centerpost gets juice on it. We had that discussion on another forum.

f4ifrank

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NE Georgia
There is something definitely going on with the Provari and the io6.

I bought another io6 at 1.8ohms and checked it immediately and it came in at 1.9ohms. Been vaping around 4volts and everything was fine for a couple of days.

I just checked it and it now is at 1.6ohms and not vaping near as good. The Provari seems to degrade the io6 fairly quickly. Not sure if anybody else is having this problem but I definitely am. This is the second io6 that has done this. The other was a 2.5ohm atty.

I hate this because the io6 is terrific when new but I definitely can't afford an atty to last a couple of days. Not .....ing here, just wanting to know why this is happening? Weird. :(

PS: I have been running a 3ohm atty on a Chuck at 6 volts for over a week with no problems.

Update: Now it's down to 1.5ohms and the Provari is timing out, unusable now :confused:

Last edited:

MikeE3

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2011
Skippack, PA
There is something definitely going on with the Provari and the io6.

I bought another io6 at 1.8ohms and checked it immediately and it came in at 1.9ohms. Been vaping around 4volts and everything was fine for a couple of days.

I just checked it and it now is at 1.6ohms and not vaping near as good. The Provari seems to degrade the io6 fairly quickly. Not sure if anybody else is having this problem but I definitely am. This is the second io6 that has done this. The other was a 2.5ohm atty.

I hate this because the io6 is terrific when new but I definitely can't afford an atty to last a couple of days. Not .....ing here, just wanting to know why this is happening? Weird. :(

PS: I have been running a 3ohm atty on a Chuck at 6 volts for over a week with no problems.

Update: Now it's down to 1.5ohms and the Provari is timing out, unusable now :confused:

I've been using a 2.5 ohm IO6 heavily for a month (8am to 11pm daily). I just checked it tonight and my ProVari shows it at 2.4 ohm. When brand new it showed at 2.5 then flicked to 2.6.

Also, been using a 3.5 ohm for a couple weeks and it metered 3.6 when new and still reading at 3.6

My experience doesn't show an issue with the IO6 and ProVari, at least not my Provari.

FWIW - the 2.5 ohm hasn't been used above 4.2-4.3 volts (usually running at 3.7-3.9) & the 3.5 ohm I usually have at 4.8-5 volts. I vape on the cool side as the flavors I use don't taste as good at higher watts than this combinations for me.

My 1.8 ohm IO6 didn't last long, but that was because I pulled it apart when the tip got stuck on it. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread