Review IKV IO6 atty - First Impressions & Follow up

Status
Not open for further replies.

f4ifrank

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NE Georgia
While I don’t have a report from the engineers, they typically replace the board and take a look at it later when they get a spare moment. Its on its way back so you should be good to go.

Have a nice weekend.

Kindly,

David

Well. that really wasn't much information but I guess I have a new board on my Provari. I have one Io6 left, so I'll see what happens when my Provari comes back.

checkmate

Jun 11, 2009
Hi all,
excuse me for a somewhat off-topic question, but since you're talking about the io6 and I've been eyeballing it (alonf with the mostly stellar reviews) for a while know, I thought I'd just chip in briefly. Sorry for that.
First off, perhaps a silly question: does the io6 take any cap/tip other than Ikenvape's io6 drip tips? I like to drip but - call me crazy - I am not really into drip tips, I kinda prefer to see exactly where the drops are going, regardless of the extra hassle of removing the cap every time. True, there are also transparent DTs out there, but to me they just look too... plastic. Yes, functionality should come before aesthetics, I know, but that's just how it is...
And secondly, I have read on several threads that LR atties shouldn't be used with low-capacity batteries... And as I have come to realize that I am a "LR vaper" but I have several 510 batteries I would like to use (up), I'd just like to know if it is "merely" a recommendation or a big no-no? Would a LR io6 atty really kill the batteries, or would it just drain the charge faster than a SR one? Thanks.

Last edited:

samwest

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Gainesville Texas
I bought 1.5's for my glv2 mini and SB at 3.7 and they work and last great on those devices. They are kinda sketchy on the Provari so I only use em on 3.7 mods. The 2.5ohm i06's are my favorite on the Provari 4.5 to 5.6 volts is the range I use them in. Anyway I have not had any of the six fail or lose performance. Just ordered 2 more 2.5's and a pyrex drip tip designed specifically for the i06 atty (theecig.com). I'll be poopin' in high cotton com Monday or tuesday!

sophie_lapin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Awesomeville, FL
There is something definitely going on with the Provari and the io6.

I bought another io6 at 1.8ohms and checked it immediately and it came in at 1.9ohms. Been vaping around 4volts and everything was fine for a couple of days.

I just checked it and it now is at 1.6ohms and not vaping near as good. The Provari seems to degrade the io6 fairly quickly. Not sure if anybody else is having this problem but I definitely am. This is the second io6 that has done this. The other was a 2.5ohm atty.

I hate this because the io6 is terrific when new but I definitely can't afford an atty to last a couple of days. Not .....ing here, just wanting to know why this is happening? Weird. :(

PS: I have been running a 3ohm atty on a Chuck at 6 volts for over a week with no problems.

Update: Now it's down to 1.5ohms and the Provari is timing out, unusable now :confused:

OMG... this happened to me recently! Maybe just a coincidence? I was using a 2.5 I06 at 4.4ohms.
I think the regulator blew. The Provari is currently in the shop and I'm scared to put my last I06 on it when it comes back :(.

JDSupreme

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If I remember correctly when the Provari first hit the scene, the recommendation of the mfr was 2Ohm + for use on the device. Why folks insist on using LRs on a VV device is beyond me.

you can do it fine just dont go lower than 1.8 and dont crank it up. i run my 1.8 @ 3.4 and its wonderful

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
The soapy taste = it comes from the ceramic cup, the only way to get rid of it is to heat it, and the only way to heat it is to use it. I was almost going to put a bunch of them in the oven to bake off the soapy taste but figured it may burn the insulation off the wires so I didnt, therefor the only way I can see getting rid of it is vaping though it. Issac = have the manufacturer heat treat the ceramic cups please.

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
The soapy taste = it comes from the ceramic cup, the only way to get rid of it is to heat it, and the only way to heat it is to use it. I was almost going to put a bunch of them in the oven to bake off the soapy taste but figured it may burn the insulation off the wires so I didnt, therefor the only way I can see getting rid of it is vaping though it. Issac = have the manufacturer heat treat the ceramic cups please.
The soapy taste came from the drip tips, IME anyway. I have used several IO6s since then and none have the soapy taste first experienced. I noticed this when I tried a fresh one with my own drip tips.

Jackass69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Sweden
I fired up my new IKV I06 1.5 on a Vmod and one 2.5 on my Provari with delrin drip tip yesterday.
They are both super great and I think I'm in love :)
The one on Provari with delrin drip tip attached had a major soapy taste in the beginning but the one in the Vmod with the modified original orange drip tip didn't, it only had the "new atty" taste.
It may be a coincidence :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread