Review of 18+ Mt Baker Vapor juices

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
A month ago I ordered 18 bottles of Mt. Baker Vapor juices. They arrived at my US address in under two days, and were forwarded to me here in South America shortly thereafter, along with some hardware I ordered somewhere else. And now the first of two packages has arrived! My first international vape mail, by the way! The shipment had to be broken up into two packages, as the USPS said that you can only ship a maximum of 2 lithium batteries per box, so I'm hoping the other box arrives tomorrow.

I'm going to be reviewing these juices gradually, as I try them, one post per juice. Otherwise, I'd end up ODing on nicotine and tasting a bizarre mix of juices, which is of no use to anyone... especially me!

These juices were created on March 10, so they've spent just under 30 days steeping in their bottles. They are all 24 mg of nicotine, 0 extra flavor shots, and 80% PG / 20% VG. MBV have also included at least one free sample (in this half of the shipment... I have no idea if there are any in the other half), and it has half the nicotine (12 mg), so I'll specify the levels for each review.

The flavors I ordered are the following (the ones I've reviewed so far are in bold):
  • Amaretto
  • Boysenberry
  • Clove
  • Coffee
  • Coumarin Pipe
  • Ginger
  • Hazelnut
  • Mango
  • Peach
  • Peach Tobacco
  • Pear
  • Red Apple
  • Rose Tobacco
  • Strawberry
  • Tangerine
  • Teaberry
  • Vanilla

The free samples I've received so far are:
  • Swedish Lime

My overall scale for reviewing is a bit different than the one I used for Dekang and Liqua juices. I've quickly realized that in calibrating my expectations for those brands, my old scale had no room for anything truly excellent. So I've eliminated the first rating ("1. Nasty. The mere idea of vaping it turns me off") and shifted things accordingly:

1. Yuck. Won't finish the bottle unless it's the only thing I've got.
  2. Vapable, but nothing a cheap Chinese vendor couldn't put out.
  3. Good
  4. Great!
  5. Vapegasm!!

All juices are being vaped on an eGo-V V2 at 4v using a generic CE4+ clearomizer. The "authenticity" rating refers to how similar the flavor is to what it's imitating.

Finally, although these juices have already spent a month in their bottles steeping, after the initial review I'm going to let each one steep with the caps and droppers out for two days, and then let them steep in the closed bottles. Once I've finished the initial reviews and a couple weeks have passed, I hope (but don't promise!) to add steeping notes to each juice.

Last edited:

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV Teaberry
24 mg, 80 PG/20 VG, 0 extra shots

Overall Rating: 4.5/5

TH: 4/5
Vapor: 4/5
Flavor: 5/5
Authenticity: 5/5
Color: Transparent

The moment I took my first hit of MBV Teaberry, I was instantly transported to the candy store of my elementary school days (adults called it a pharmacy). I mostly chewed Bubble Yum and similar gums aimed at kids my age, but every once in a while I would buy a pack of Clark's Teaberry gum.

This juice is Clark's in vapable form!

I have never had --or even seen-- fresh teaberries. For that matter, I've never even heard of anyone having or seeing them. They're so unusual, in fact, that my spell checker doesn't even recognize them -- for all I know, they don't actually exist, Wikipedia notwithstanding. So I have to assume that MBV was attempting to recreate the one and only teaberry flavor that any of us can know -- the gum.

And they succeeded, with stunning accuracy! This is the flavor you get when you've just popped a piece of the gum in your mouth and chewed it about 10 times in a row -- fresh, intense, fruity and a bit exotic.

The flavor is excellent, and completely authentic. The TH is very good, which is to be expected with 24 mg and an 80/20 mix. The vapor production is also very good, but I get good vapor production with everything but defective clearos.

Note that this is a very sweet juice. As such, it perfectly recreates the gum, and I happen to like it. Folks who don't like things so sweet might not be so fond of it, though. I wonder if MBV could make juice with additional or reduced sweetness?

As I was vaping, I started drinking a cup of cappuccino, and the flavors didn't clash (much to my surprise). I doubt MBV Teaberry would go well with a single malt, or with beer, but who knows.

The waves of nostalgia the teaberry flavor have produced are still going strong, so I'm going to sign off now...

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV Tangerine
Overall Rating: 2.5/5

Flavor: 2/5
Authenticity: 2/5
Color: Yellow

My very first vape was a fruit flavor (mango, from some unknown and presumably Chinese producer), and I really liked it. To this day, I love fruit vapes -- I find them uniquely refreshing! So I went into this review psyched about MBV Tangerine. The smell in the bottle is subtle, even muted -- I couldn't really tell it's tangerine from smelling it. The color is a pretty intense yellow.

This juice packs a decent throat hit, as you'd expect from 24 mg of nicotine. The vapor production is good.

It's the flavor that I'm not fond of. It has little to do with tangerines, and everything to do with those ultra-sour hard candies that some kids love. This stuff is incredibly tart! And that's not something I thought e-juice could do. It's also clearly a tangerine-flavored sour candy -- no mandarin or tangelo or orange confusion here!

So, the long and the short of it is this: if you want a tangerine-flavored sour candy vape, this stuff is for you! It's a dead ringer for that, and it'd get an authenticity rating of 5/5 in that case. If you want a natural fruit tangerine vape, however, this is simply not it, and I wouldn't recommend it for that.

That said, it's not a bad juice. The intense tartness is balanced --or at least counterweighted-- by a great deal of sweetness. And like I said, if it's candy you're after, you've found it here. And that's fine -- I like candy-like green apple flavors quite a bit, myself. But I was after real fruit in this case. I'm afraid MBV Tangerine is going to go into the back of the drawer.

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV Swedish Lime
12 mg, 80 PG/20 VG, 0 extra shots
Overall Rating: 3.5/5 - Good

TH: 2.5/5
Flavor: 4/5
Authenticity: ?
Color: Almost transparent, with a bit of yellow tinge to it.

This is an intriguing e-juice. Fruity, tart and just sweet enough, with a lime base and several notes I can't identify. Does not have that characteristic hard candy taste, which is a plus. Every once in a while I detect a slight whiff of something that might come out of an aromatic pipe mixed in here, along with two parts mystery. Very nice parts, I might add.

This is actually a somewhat complex flavor, much to its credit. It's not like the fruit lime, nor is it like hard candy, as I said... I find myself sitting back and studying it as I enjoy it. Somehow it's neither natural nor artificial -- it's created its own category of taste, and is what it is without pretension.

The throat hit is weak, though stronger than I expected from an e-juice with a mere 12 mg of nicotine. Vapor production is fine. Can't comment on the authenticity.

This is a surprise winner. I'm glad I got it as a free sample, as I never would have ordered it -- especially not with that picture of gummi fish on the web page!

cocoabellaRSD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2012
Texas
thunder nice MBV reviews. I like MBV juices, though I've not tried these flavors. After reading your reviews I may have to give them a go.
thanks for the indepth descriptions. :-}

MBV Swedish Lime
12 mg, 80 PG/20 VG, 0 extra shots
Overall Rating: 3.5/5 - Good

Color: Almost transparent, with a bit of yellow tinge to it.

This is an intriguing e-juice. Fruity, tart and just sweet enough, with a lime base and several notes I can't identify. Does not have that characteristic hard candy taste, which is a plus. Every once in a while I detect a slight whiff of something that might come out of an aromatic pipe mixed in here, along with two parts mystery. Very nice parts, I might add.

This is actually a somewhat complex flavor, much to its credit. It's not like the fruit lime, nor is it like hard candy, as I said... I find myself sitting back and studying it as I enjoy it. Somehow it's neither natural nor artificial -- it's created its own category of taste, and is what it is without pretension.

The throat hit is weak, though stronger than I expected from an e-juice with a mere 12 mg of nicotine. Vapor production is fine. Can't comment on the authenticity.

This is a surprise winner. I'm glad I got it as a free sample, as I never would have ordered it -- especially not with that picture of gummi fish on the web page!

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV Rose Tobacco
Overall Rating: 1/5

TH: 5/5
Flavor: 1/5
Authenticity: 1/5
Color: Transparent

This e-juice is interesting, if nothing else. A strong rose scent predominates, with a secondary note of citronella. I can detect nothing remotely similar to tobacco here, and it has a very strong flavor which really has no business being in rose tobacco (see below), which is why it gets a 1/5 on authenticity.

If we forget about the tobacco promise and just take this juice for what it is, the rose flavor is quite delicious -- fragrant, complex and natural. However, the citronella --yes, as in citronella candles-- is very unpleasant. Because of this, I find myself unable to vape it for more than a few minutes before I change to something else. I think if it were just the rose, I could vape it all day.

This juice has a great TH, and very nice vapor production. We'll see what a good second steeping does for it.

[EDIT: I've got to say, I'm finding the mere idea of vaping that citronella nauseating now. I won't be able to continue with this bottle unless it changes a ton after additional steeping.]

Last edited:

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV Mango
Overall Rating: 5/5 - Vapegasm!!

Color: Light reddish brown

I have just found the mango vape. The throat hit is killer, the vapor production is excellent, and the flavor simply stunning -- as well as being a dead ringer for real mango. On the inhale this juice quickly releases a brilliant burst of sweet, juicy, ripe fresh mango. The exhale provides two different notes -- a green, ripe mango scent and a darker, syrupier note. No candy or incense flavors here!

MBV mango is simply a masterpiece.

As a final note, I've just dialed my voltage down from 4.0v to 3.5v to get the throat hit in line with what I'm used to. Never had to do that before, which is a testament to the TH this liquid packs.

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV Hazelnut
Overall Rating: 4/5 - Great!

Flavor: 4.5/5
Authenticity: 4.5/5
Color: Light brownish red

This is a delightful e-juice. The flavor is a sweet, creamy, dark and rich hazelnut. It's perhaps closest to a sweet hazelnut liqueur; there's no Nutella here, which I consider a good thing! The flavor is complex enough to keep you jumping between different notes of hazelnut, some rich and dark, others toasted and austere. Excellent desert vape, excellent all-around vape if you like sweetness.

Very good throat hit and vapor production.

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV Red Apple
Overall Rating: 3/5

Vapor: 5/5
Flavor: 3/5
Authenticity: 3.5/5
Color: Greyish green

Yes, MBV Red Apple e-juice is indeed green in the bottle, but it's red in the mouth, where it counts. The throat hit is the first thing I noticed -- it's very strong indeed! Vapor production is top notch, too.

The flavor on the inhale is sweet and fruity. On the exhale, it's predominantly sweet, crisp red apple, but it's not a very strong flavor. Rather muted, in fact. With another flavor shot, or perhaps more steeping, this e-liquid might really shine. As it stands it's quite nice, and probably suitable for prolonged vaping, but it's lacking in flavor intensity.

Good, but nothing extraordinary.

Last edited:

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV Ginger
Overall Rating: 1.5/5

Flavor: 1.5/5
Authenticity: 3/5
Color: Iced tea brown

MBV Ginger e-juice is a unique creation. I was expecting a sinus-clearing blast of effervescent ginger, such as what you find in Jamaican ginger beer, and was a bit worried that it would be overpowering. It's not. It's actually a rather subtle flavor, reminiscent of fresh, damp ginger root before you grate or chop it, though I'd say it's actually closer to ginseng than ginger. It has just a slight note of sweetness.

The inhale has very little flavor. The exhale is where it comes to life -- barely. The damp taste often verges on dank -- again, it calls to mind the smell of a damp chunk of ginger when you smell it with the peel still on. A very earthy scent. As such, I'm guessing that MBV created their own flavoring, rather than using commercial ones (which inevitably go for the effervescent, pungent note of ginger).

I'm going to let it steep more, and I'm going to come back to it with a fresh mind and palate at some point in the future. Right now, though, while I'm enjoying the unique flavor, I'm really not sure how long I'll keep on enjoying it.

[EDIT: I've had to downgrade this juice after more use. The dankness is just not something you really want to be vaping. And I can't imagine anything I'd mix it with, making this apocalypse juice -- I'll vape it, but only if it's all I've got left.]

Last edited:

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV Coffee

TH: 3.5/5
Vapor: 3/5
Flavor: 2.5/5
Authenticity: 3/5
Color: Maple syrup brown

This is a better coffee vape than the other two I've tried, though that's not a ringing endorsement, of course. The first several hits are strongly reminiscent of good coffee-flavored hard candy, but with almost none of the sweetness (I think this juice could use a good bit more of that, actually). Mind you, that's not an unfavorable comparison -- those candies are good!

The flavor of this e-juice is very faint, though, even after a month of in-bottle steeping in the international postal system. And it fades quickly - after a minute or so of vaping I don't really notice the coffee flavor at all. I do start noticing a very faint deeper note that verges on burnt.

I'm going to let this steep with the cap off for a week and see how it develops. As it stands, I wouldn't buy it again, and will probably end up mixing it with something sweet, like chocolate or amaretto.

Last edited:

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV Coumarin Pipe
Overall Rating: 4.5/5

Color: Saltwater Taffee orange

I've never smoked a pipe, so I can't comment on the authenticity of this liquid. Furthermore, I've avoided most tobacco e-juices, as the idea just doesn't appeal to me. But I placed my mega-MBV order before I realized that, and have now received no less than 5 tobacco flavors! So there's nothing left to do but try them!

The Rose tobacco (see above) has a wonderful rose flavor, no tobacco taste, and a sickening citronella fragrance... the mere idea of vaping it turns my stomach now.

The Coumarin Pipe is a completely different experience. I'll start by saying that I perceive no taste, scent or flavor even remotely like actual tobacco -- but that's a plus for me. Rather than being very slightly sweet, the overall taste manages to incorporate the idea of having just the right degree of sweetness -- but only if you're on the lookout for it. Otherwise, it just works without you realizing it.

The flavor itself is subtle, understated and delicate. I cannot identify a single ingredient or source of this flavor -- it forms a single, complex, well-rounded whole. There are fragrant notes and floral notes, as well as a hint of muskiness. It is very, very pleasant. A meditative vape if there ever was one.

MBV Coumarin Pipe is a triumph of flavor harmony. It would go wonderfully with scotch, wine or beer, I suspect. I'm already very enamored of it...

It has great TH and nice vapor production.

Last edited:

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV Amaretto

Vapor: 3/5
Color: Muted orange

MBV Amaretto is almost exactly like vaping amaretto liqueur. And it's very tasty, with the complexity of actual amaretto.

The throat hit is weak, yes. And the vapor production is not copious. But the flavor hits the nail right on the head.

My criticism is that it's a waaaaaay too sweet -- and with the huge sweet tooth I have, that's saying something. I'm finding I can't vape it for more than 5-10 minutes before switching to something else because of this -- it becomes sickeningly sweet.

It would go well with coffee or as a desert vape. Not recommended with beer!

The over-the-top sweetness means I'm going to end up using it mostly to jazz up other juices, like coffee and chocolate.

Last edited:

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV 555
Overall Rating: 5/5 - Vapegasm, on way to being ADV

Vapor: 5/5
Color: Root beer brown

As I've said before, tobacco-flavored e-juice does not appeal to me. But I have five 50ml bottles of it, ordered before I had gotten in touch with my inner vaper, and so I'm trying them because I have nothing to lose.

MBV 555 strikes me as the antithesis of Coumarin Pipe. Coumarin is light, subtle and understated, with no single flavor being identifiable, much less dominant. 555, on the other hand, has an intense tobaccoish flavor that positively kicks you, followed by a fairly sweet caramel on both inhale and exhale that leaves its mark on the back of your throat for many pleasurable seconds. It has a very faint note of vanilla in there somewhere, too -- that's about the only subtle thing about MBV 555. It appears toward the end of the exhale.

These flavors combine very well to make one of the most powerful, least meditative vapes out there. The TH is amazing. The vapor is abundant.

Perhaps the only downside is that there's no way this could be an ADV for me -- it's actually too intense for that.

If I ever had to recommend a liquid for a smoker who wanted to quit, this would be it, hands down.

[EDIT: The ironies of life... It turns out that I've been vaping MBV 555 all day now, in spite of thinking before that it was just too powerful for that (see above)! This is fast becoming my first ADV, in fact. I am blown away, pure and simple. Vapegasm!]

[EDIT 2: As I was vaping this a few minutes ago, my wife said out of the blue, "That stuff stinks!" It's the very first e-juice she's commented on. Normally she can't even smell what I'm vaping, so I guess this means that 555 is out for stealth vaping. A small setback, though.]

Last edited:

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV Boysenberry
Overall Rating: 3/5 - Good

Authenticity: 3.5/5
Color: Light saltwater taffy orange

Why boysenberry? Why not! Sometimes you just have to try something different.

This is a very pleasant berry vape, far enough removed from more common berries to really pique your interest. The flavor is indeed very close to boysenberry, and its moderately sweet -- enough to be pleasing, not so much as to be cloying. It's not like fresh berries, nor is it like jam or candy. And it's not perfumey, either. Somehow it just is, without falling into one of the specific flavor genres we're familiar with. That said, it's also not completely natural, and after a while I get a sort of saccharine taste in the back of my throat.

The TH is very strong in this one, and the vapor is quite good.

All in all, a nice break from other fare!

Last edited:

ThunderPumpkin

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
South America
MBV Pear
Overall Rating: 4/5 - Very good!

TH: 3.5/5
Authenticity: 4.5/5
Color: Crystal clear

MBV's Pear is the luscious, thick flavor of over-ripe fresh pears in vapable form! The kind of pears that leave juice running down your chin when you bite into them. This is rounded out by the scent of fresh green pear skins on the exhale, and occasional notes of syrupy canned pears. Pleasantly sweet without going overboard. Not a hint of candy here!

The TH is good and the vapor production is, too.

Highly recommended if you like fruit vapes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread