Reviews of the Apex Alpha Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
No problem! I really am enjoying it! I'll be sure to keep you posted after I've had more time with it!

Awesome Stu! Thank you for the review and posting the weights. I worked hard to take the Apex Alpha to the absolute limits of machinability, and this is what got us the light weight. Light and strong.

Re: switch -I think a couple got through my quality control check that were out of spec. It should NOT bind. If you are able to easily pull out the post, let me know, and I will send you a new one that's perfect.

Stu

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Queens, NY
Awesome Stu! Thank you for the review and posting the weights. I worked hard to take the Apex Alpha to the absolute limits of machinability, and this is what got us the light weight. Light and strong.

Re: switch -I think a couple got through my quality control check that were out of spec. It should NOT bind. If you are able to easily pull out the post, let me know, and I will send you a new one that's perfect.

The post does come right out. That's actually why I was having some trouble with it. But I haven't had anymore problems with it since I messed with it so far. I appreciate the info and for wanting to make everything just right!

The post does come right out. That's actually why I was having some trouble with it. But I haven't had anymore problems with it since I messed with it so far. I appreciate the info and for wanting to make everything just right!

Yeah, so that is one of the delrin bushings that snuck by me. I suspected there might be few (out of many thousands).

It does work fine with the loose fit but it is supposed to snap in and STAY so it can't be lost. PM me your address and I will send you out a new one Monday.

Stu

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Queens, NY
Hey N8T, I was just checking out the Alpha parts video again that you did and noticed that my battery contact looks different than the one in the video. Mine looks like this:

101_2447.jpg

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
Hey N8T, I was just checking out the Alpha parts video again that you did and noticed that my battery contact looks different than the one in the video. Mine looks like this:

Mine looks like that also.. I PM'ed about it, and am confident this issue will be taken care of... :)

SleepHater

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
PA, CA

N8T will respond as well. The parts video showed the ultralite. The ultra contact is different by design. As shown in your photo. The issue N8T was commenting on is that the brass contact post should not be easily removable from the bushing. If it is, then we need to replace it (it will still work fine, we just don't like that it is out of spec).

Cheers,

SH

Technonut

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
East Coast, USA
N8T will respond as well. The parts video showed the ultralite. The ultra contact is different by design. As shown in your photo. The issue N8T was commenting on is that the brass contact post should not be easily removable from the bushing. If it is, then we need to replace it (it will still work fine, we just don't like that it is out of spec).

Cheers,

SH

Mine is easily removable... I am now using the UltraMax RES without the spring. With the spring in place, It is difficult to fire.

Stu

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Queens, NY
Mine is easily removable... I am now using the UltraMax RES without the spring. With the spring in place, It is difficult to fire.

Mine is also easily removable but works with the spring fine now. Basically, when mine popped out I took the spring off and compressed it all the way a few times and then put it back on with the spring on and pushed it in several times. It might be worth trying out.

Stu

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2009
Queens, NY

Cheers,

SH

I was wondering if that was the reason mine looked different. Thanks for the quick replies/fixes with these issues. I really do appreciate it. I haven't had any other issues so far.

That's correct. The Ultralite switch assembly is different than the Ultra and Ultramax. The reason for this is because the Ultralite is small. I was concerned about the post shorting against the sides of the outer battery sleeve so I extended the bushing out to surround the post. The Ultra and Ultramax's don't have this potential, and thus their switch assemblies are identical and shorter.

Mine looks like that also.. I PM'ed about it, and am confident this issue will be taken care of... :)

It will absolutely be taken care of. Unfortunately a handful of the bushings for the Ultra and Ultramax made it through QC with too large of an ID where the battery post pushes through. It irks me to no end, and I will be sending you guys new switches first thing Monday.

SleepHater

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
PA, CA
That's correct. The Ultralite switch assembly is different than the Ultra and Ultramax. The reason for this is because the Ultralite is small. I was concerned about the post shorting against the sides of the outer battery sleeve so I extended the bushing out to surround the post. The Ultra and Ultramax's don't have this potential, and thus their switch assemblies are identical and shorter.

It will absolutely be taken care of. Unfortunately a handful of the bushings for the Ultra and Ultramax made it through QC with too large of an ID where the battery post pushes through. It irks me to no end, and I will be sending you guys new switches first thing Monday.

Please make sure to PM N8T or I with the address you would like your switch assembly sent to.

Thanks!

SH

SleepHater

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
PA, CA

It should fire easily. Sometimes a quick wipe down of the outside of the inner sleeve and the inside of the main body (that the inner sleeve slides into) will make the action smooth and easy as it should be.

Cheers,

SH

AlDynamite

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2010
Illinois/Metro East
Ok, so I don't know what my problem is but I can't get mine to work. It's firing, cause the battery gets really hot (are they supposed to do this?...the red covering seems to have melted off the end at the bottom of the system), but the atomizer won't fire. Any ideas? And with regards to the brass plunger - Mine arrived at the bottom of the unit, so I just pushed it back into the atomizer interface - then this little brass piece came out and I put that back in, beveled sides down. Other than that, I don't know what else I'm doing that other people aren't. What do you think? Thanks, Alex

To recap - the battery is working, cause it gets hot, but the atomizer doesn't make any noise or burn. What isn't connected?

EDIT: FIGURED IT OUT - BEVELED SIDES HAVE TO BE UP regarding the small brass piece in the atomizer interface.

Last edited:

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
Ok, so I don't know what my problem is but I can't get mine to work. It's firing, cause the battery gets really hot (are they supposed to do this?...the red covering seems to have melted off the end at the bottom of the system), but the atomizer won't fire. Any ideas? And with regards to the brass plunger - Mine arrived at the bottom of the unit, so I just pushed it back into the atomizer interface - then this little brass piece came out and I put that back in, beveled sides down. Other than that, I don't know what else I'm doing that other people aren't. What do you think? Thanks, Alex

To recap - the battery is working, cause it gets hot, but the atomizer doesn't make any noise or burn. What isn't connected?

That is not good at all, it means there is a short somewhere and the that is why the bat is getting hot. A lot of times this is caused by overtightening the atty but thats not always the case. Take out the atty and look at the center pin and see if there is still a oring seperating the center from the outer threads. If that is not it then hopefully innovapor can shed some light but in my experience this was always the case. Try another atty being mindful of not overtightening and see if that works but do not continue to firew it if the batteries are getting hot. hope this helps

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
First hour review of the Alpha Max w/RES running on a 17670 battery.

Appearance: Absolutely gorgeous. I love the weight. Nice and light even with a 17670 battery. Due to nerve damage in my hands, heavy mods don't appeal to me. Button slides easily, just takes some getting used to. Doesn't show fingerprints as bad as I initally thought. Cleans up very easily. The button cutout is very smooth around the edges. No burrs to get caught on your finger. Threads are nice and smooth but I recommend using Noalox to keep your threads from wearing out.

Right out of the box to use: I had a panic attack. I currently only have the grey TrustFire 17670 batteries for use in my Megalodon. They didn't want to fire the mod. Luckily, I had some magnetic spacers. I applied one and it fired.

Using a Boge standard resistance cartomizer with RES: I loaded the cartomizer and filled the ceramic as instructed. I overfilled the cartomizer so I was getting juice in my mouth. It took a couple of blowing outs to get it working properly. I will update on how the cartomizer is feed by the RES. 3ml of juice total will take me half a day to go through. Hopefully, the RES will feed it properly. When I start getting a dry/burnt taste, or hint of it, I will remove the RES and inspect it to see if the juice has been depleted. I am keeping my fingers/toes crossed that the RES will be empty. I love cartomizers over atomizers.

Using a standard resistance atomizer: Works but you can't overdraw on it. I'm guilty of super long draws. I get a mouthful of vapor, inhale, then another mouthful all in the same firing. If I do this back to back, I get the dreaded metal taste. If I wait 30 seconds in between draws, no metal taste. In other words, I have to slowdown on my draws. RES feeds the atomizer just fine but pause in between draws.

Leakage: I haven't had any leaking problems with it like I have had with the MAP tanks. That is always a plus. The ceramic holds the liquid and when you draw on your atomizer/cartomizer, the liquids breaks loose and drops down. It will then seep into the air ports in the side of the atomizer connection hole. When you inhale, liquid is then pulled into your atomizer holes feeding the coil. Liquid doesn't leak and get on you unless you overfill the RES.

Overall I would recommend this to someone who has been vaping for awhile. Took some knowledge about spacers to use the batteries I have (my new 17670's are on the way so hopefully no more spacers). For a newbie, this is a device a little too advanced but yet it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. I only had to tinker a little bit with spacers to get it to fire. A new person to vaping would have to watch the videos provided on the forum.

I love the capacity of the Max RES as long as it continously feeds my cartomizers...time will tell on this. I love the warranty that is one the unit and the peace of mind that if anything goes wrong, Innovapor will replace it.

So far, after one hour of use, 2 thumbs up on this device. By the end of the day, I should now if the RES is feeding the cartomizer properly and will update this post.

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com

EDIT: FIGURED IT OUT - BEVELED SIDES HAVE TO BE UP regarding the small brass piece in the atomizer interface.

Glad you figured it out. Please send me your order number and I will send you out a new switch to replace the one that comes apart. Also if your battery has melted and does not work I will send you another one of those as well. I will PM you now also.

Cheers,
Tony

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
First hour review of the Alpha Max w/RES running on a 17670 battery.

Appearance: Absolutely gorgeous. I love the weight. Nice and light even with a 17670 battery. Due to nerve damage in my hands, heavy mods don't appeal to me. Button slides easily, just takes some getting used to. Doesn't show fingerprints as bad as I initally thought. Cleans up very easily. The button cutout is very smooth around the edges. No burrs to get caught on your finger. Threads are nice and smooth but I recommend using Noalox to keep your threads from wearing out.

Right out of the box to use: I had a panic attack. I currently only have the grey TrustFire 17670 batteries for use in my Megalodon. They didn't want to fire the mod. Luckily, I had some magnetic spacers. I applied one and it fired.

Using a Boge standard resistance cartomizer with RES: I loaded the cartomizer and filled the ceramic as instructed. I overfilled the cartomizer so I was getting juice in my mouth. It took a couple of blowing outs to get it working properly. I will update on how the cartomizer is feed by the RES. 3ml of juice total will take me half a day to go through. Hopefully, the RES will feed it properly. When I start getting a dry/burnt taste, or hint of it, I will remove the RES and inspect it to see if the juice has been depleted. I am keeping my fingers/toes crossed that the RES will be empty. I love cartomizers over atomizers.

Using a standard resistance atomizer: Works but you can't overdraw on it. I'm guilty of super long draws. I get a mouthful of vapor, inhale, then another mouthful all in the same firing. If I do this back to back, I get the dreaded metal taste. If I wait 30 seconds in between draws, no metal taste. In other words, I have to slowdown on my draws. RES feeds the atomizer just fine but pause in between draws.

Leakage: I haven't had any leaking problems with it like I have had with the MAP tanks. That is always a plus. The ceramic holds the liquid and when you draw on your atomizer/cartomizer, the liquids breaks loose and drops down. It will then seep into the air ports in the side of the atomizer connection hole. When you inhale, liquid is then pulled into your atomizer holes feeding the coil. Liquid doesn't leak and get on you unless you overfill the RES.

Overall I would recommend this to someone who has been vaping for awhile. Took some knowledge about spacers to use the batteries I have (my new 17670's are on the way so hopefully no more spacers). For a newbie, this is a device a little too advanced but yet it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. I only had to tinker a little bit with spacers to get it to fire. A new person to vaping would have to watch the videos provided on the forum.

I love the capacity of the Max RES as long as it continously feeds my cartomizers...time will tell on this. I love the warranty that is one the unit and the peace of mind that if anything goes wrong, Innovapor will replace it.

So far, after one hour of use, 2 thumbs up on this device. By the end of the day, I should now if the RES is feeding the cartomizer properly and will update this post.

Great review. Very happy to hear that you are liking it so far. I think you will be pleased with how well the RES will work out for you.

Cheers,
Tony

AlDynamite

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2010
Illinois/Metro East
That is not good at all, it means there is a short somewhere and the that is why the bat is getting hot. A lot of times this is caused by overtightening the atty but thats not always the case. Take out the atty and look at the center pin and see if there is still a oring seperating the center from the outer threads. If that is not it then hopefully innovapor can shed some light but in my experience this was always the case. Try another atty being mindful of not overtightening and see if that works but do not continue to firew it if the batteries are getting hot. hope this helps

Hey thanks for your help...However, I think it was a simple mistake...the brass connector between the brass battery plunger and the atomizer is flat on one side and beveled on the other. It fell out of the atomizer interface and I didn't know which way it was supposed to go. I put the beveled sides toward the battery first and that's when the battery got hot. Thought about it, flipped over the brass piece so the beveled sides are up, and now it's working like a champ. Question though, some of the red protective covering seemed to melt off, leaving 1/4 inch bare metal on the bottom of the battery. Is that a big deal or can I continue using it?

Slo Ryd

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2009
City of Trees
www.innovapor.com
Hey thanks for your help...However, I think it was a simple mistake...the brass connector between the brass battery plunger and the atomizer is flat on one side and beveled on the other. It fell out of the atomizer interface and I didn't know which way it was supposed to go. I put the beveled sides toward the battery first and that's when the battery got hot. Thought about it, flipped over the brass piece so the beveled sides are up, and now it's working like a champ. Question though, some of the red protective covering seemed to melt off, leaving 1/4 inch bare metal on the bottom of the battery. Is that a big deal or can I continue using it?

No dispose of that battery properly just to be safe and we will send you out a new battery with a new switch today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread