Rewicking RDA daily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpidaFly

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
Glenadle, AZ
First the setup I'm running, then the question:

- Fuchai Duo-3 (use both double and triple batteries as battery states allow)
- Goon 1.5 RDA (love this thing) airflow full open
- 0.13 double coil fused clapton build, ~2.8mm ID (Kanthal A1)
- Cotton is either Cotton Bacon or CVS organic cotton balls
- Usually run around 80 Watts

Of course I make new wicks when I change flavors. I like Cotton Bacon more than CVS organic cotton balls because it has less initial cotton flavor. Also, Cotton Bacon's density just makes better wicks. But it is expensive, so sometimes I have no choice but to use CVS organic cotton balls.

The question: I find that I have to rewick daily. I pull the wicks, swab out the juice well, dry burn the coils clean, and rewick. By the end of every day though, no matter what juice I'm vaping just tastes nasty. The cotton isn't scorched and I'm not getting dry hits. It just tastes nasty - and that nasty goes away as soon as I rewick.

Does my daily rewicking indicate that I'm doing something wrong? Or is it just a personal preference issue? (I know I have very sensitive taste, so that's a possibility?)

Reactions: stols001

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I have no idea. I can only share my profile. I use a V1 Brass Goon on a Lost Vape Therion 75C bf with 70 watts available at 450°F. I have a 0.26Ω coil in the atty. I can go quite a while without re-wicking. Easily close to a week. I dyi and my juices are primarily fruit based blends with very little sweetener. Just a dash.

• Winner
Reactions: Letitia

Thayamax

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2013
Southeast Michigan
Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
My girlfriend always over drips while I run almost dry before I add more juice. Her wicks look like jelly while mine are fine. Also using the same juice. I'm not sure if keeping the rda full leaves the same juice on the bottom to thicken up or not but might be worth a try to run it almost dry.
+1. If your wicks are over-saturated, you'll be "cooking" more juice than you're actually vaporizing. When I overdrip, my wicks will get all dark brown and sludgy-looking, but if I vape them nearly dry (rayon FTW!) they'll go back to being snow-white.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
First the setup I'm running, then the question:

- Fuchai Duo-3 (use both double and triple batteries as battery states allow)
- Goon 1.5 RDA (love this thing) airflow full open
- 0.13 double coil fused clapton build, ~2.8mm ID (Kanthal A1)
- Cotton is either Cotton Bacon or CVS organic cotton balls
- Usually run around 80 Watts

Of course I make new wicks when I change flavors. I like Cotton Bacon more than CVS organic cotton balls because it has less initial cotton flavor. Also, Cotton Bacon's density just makes better wicks. But it is expensive, so sometimes I have no choice but to use CVS organic cotton balls.

The question: I find that I have to rewick daily. I pull the wicks, swab out the juice well, dry burn the coils clean, and rewick. By the end of every day though, no matter what juice I'm vaping just tastes nasty. The cotton isn't scorched and I'm not getting dry hits. It just tastes nasty - and that nasty goes away as soon as I rewick.

Does my daily rewicking indicate that I'm doing something wrong? Or is it just a personal preference issue? (I know I have very sensitive taste, so that's a possibility?)

Don't feel bad I vape custards and deserts the sweetener gunk's the coil and firing the coil all day does not help but soften and add more gunk. I re-wick daily on my rda's too. Sometimes before the day ends I will re-wick depending on how off the flavor is.

Reactions: Letitia
It's the sweetener used in the juice caramelizing on your coils. The more sweet the flavor, the more gunk you'll get on your coils (which reduces heating efficiency and exacerbates the issue.) The higher the VG content, the more viscous the juice, which basically causes the sweeteners to "cling" to everything... again, making the problem worse.

Running the lowest possible wattage and keeping your airflow wide open can help some.

Sweet, high VG juice... I have to dry burn and re-wick every couple of days.

• Agree
Reactions: mimöschen

3vilpsychos

Oct 19, 2017
I vape 20mls a day sometimes I find I should rewick every three days or as needed. Some juice really is hard on wicking and coils. I never have messy ... decks. That .... irritates me. My buddy always has black sticky ... coils and blood red cotton. I ask myself if he knows this is unacceptable or does he do this to piss he off? I just clean it for him in the end and give him coils. I've had to come to the realization that not everyone is a vape enthusiast like we are.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

3vilpsychos

Oct 19, 2017
Just thinking about how his coils are right now is upsetting and irritating me. Haven't seen him in 4 days. Ugh. I just know what there looking like. He's got such nice gear. I feel bad for the little merlin RDTA... I'd provide such a better home.. I might try to buy it from him. He's into rda's and always had the ....er leaking... I've got to vape before I get more stressed about this situation lol

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread