Rewicking subtank .5 coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vatigu

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Toronto, On, Canada
So I just rewicked my first gunked OCC coil (Twisted the old wick out the air hole and threaded a new one in without misaligning the coil) tested it to make sure no short and was in good shape with a rejuvenated coil, Awesome. That said I am quite interested in rayon and was wondering if anyone else has tried rewicking a kanger OCC with rayon? My understanding is that rayon is effectively interchangeable with cotton as far as form fit and function so was curious if anyone else had given this a shot.

P.S. if this is in the wrong place - sorry - I figured this applied specifically to a clearomizer coil so belonged here.

Bammer555

Verified Member
Dec 13, 2014
So I just rewicked my first gunked OCC coil (Twisted the old wick out the air hole and threaded a new one in without misaligning the coil) tested it to make sure no short and was in good shape with a rejuvenated coil, Awesome. That said I am quite interested in rayon and was wondering if anyone else has tried rewicking a kanger OCC with rayon? My understanding is that rayon is effectively interchangeable with cotton as far as form fit and function so was curious if anyone else had given this a shot.

P.S. if this is in the wrong place - sorry - I figured this applied specifically to a clearomizer coil so belonged here.

Wow, is it really that easy? I thought you had to remove the coil.

Vatigu

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Toronto, On, Canada
Yeah I figured out the trick to it - if you yank the cotton it bends the coil and the cotton breaks so you're ripping the wick to shreds and getting nowhere if you twist the cotton the same way the coil is wrapped it sort of unscrews the fibers that have formed to the coils and it comes out easy. (That and twisted cotton doesn't tear as easily as just yanking at it) Which means you can test for short (move the coil back to the middle if it's pushed to the side with some tweezers) and dry burn clean the coil without pulling the coil out the bottom. I soaked the atty in alcohol and then let the wick dry completely before doing this but I imagine it would work as well if wet - just messier.

So my plan is to replace the OCC with rayon and hopefully it doesn't leak (due to not expanding around the liquid holes) I'll get out the camera and snap a few shots of what I'm doing when I get the rayon.

Last edited:

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
My trick to stop flooding without making the wick too dense in the coil (which kills flavor) was to use a long thin strip of KGD cotton that was thin enough to slide back and forth in the coil with NO resistance in the thick (non rolled) part.

I then cut the wick about 5mm from either edge of the case, fluffed it and saturated the entire wick. Then I'd poke that wet excess back in the juice holes with a screwdriver, NOT not forcing it, just letting it naturally go in the hole with a little gentle pressure, I didn't worry about it being totally flush like the factory wick because I didn't want to risk pushing it inside the coil head (or bending/moving the coil), so there were little bumps of wick outside the coil case, about 1-2mm.

On the inside, that gave the wick big "shoulders" on either side of the coil that would prevent flooding and wicked well with high wattage and heavy/max VG juice while leaving it thin enough where it contacted the coil to let the flavor come through. And once the wick was saturated, the portion inside the coil would swell some, making light surface contact with all sides of the coil.

Vatigu

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2015
Toronto, On, Canada
Update subtank coils with rayon = totally awesome. will try and post pics later if my old DSLR battery will take a charge. Took a few tries to get used to working with rayon but can vape higher wattage than I could with cotton and it's far tastier+definitely wicks better (don't have to cold pull to saturate wick at least not anywhere near as often.)

Last edited:

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
My trick to stop flooding without making the wick too dense in the coil (which kills flavor) was to use a long thin strip of KGD cotton that was thin enough to slide back and forth in the coil with NO resistance in the thick (non rolled) part.

I then cut the wick about 5mm from either edge of the case, fluffed it and saturated the entire wick. Then I'd poke that wet excess back in the juice holes with a screwdriver, NOT not forcing it, just letting it naturally go in the hole with a little gentle pressure, I didn't worry about it being totally flush like the factory wick because I didn't want to risk pushing it inside the coil head (or bending/moving the coil), so there were little bumps of wick outside the coil case, about 1-2mm.

On the inside, that gave the wick big "shoulders" on either side of the coil that would prevent flooding and wicked well with high wattage and heavy/max VG juice while leaving it thin enough where it contacted the coil to let the flavor come through. And once the wick was saturated, the portion inside the coil would swell some, making light surface contact with all sides of the coil.
visual aid would be helpful as it sounds really good, if its not too much trouble...........heck even if it is get some pics please, :p

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
Did this and got the most horrid "dry hit" - I say that in quotes because I immediately pulled it back apart and the wick was fully saturated. In fact, I'd say it was even a bit flooded. I'd expect spitting, popping, etc as I think I didn't put enough cotton in. Not a burnt taste that left me retching. Someone help?

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
Update subtank coils with rayon = totally awesome. will try and post pics later if my old DSLR battery will take a charge. Took a few tries to get used to working with rayon but can vape higher wattage than I could with cotton and it's far tastier+definitely wicks better (don't have to cold pull to saturate wick at least not anywhere near as often.)

Sounds like you hit it right with the density of the rayon in the coil, as said above, rayon has to be packed tighter in the coil unlike cotton.
The rayon should "squeak" when pulled back and forth as a good indication you have enough. Rough rule is rayon shrinks, cotton swells.
Cheers to you!

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona
Did this and got the most horrid "dry hit" - I say that in quotes because I immediately pulled it back apart and the wick was fully saturated. In fact, I'd say it was even a bit flooded. I'd expect spitting, popping, etc as I think I didn't put enough cotton in. Not a burnt taste that left me retching. Someone help?

Cotton pulled back and forth in the coil offering resistance without moving the coil is generally a good way to judge if you have the right amount.
Too much and it swells, restricting wicking...Good luck, You'll get it!

mamabear15

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2015
USA
Okay, one more question. Is it normal for a cotton wick to have a very odd flavor at first?! Or am I using the wrong kind of cotton? It isn't burning, I think I got it wicked "right" but the flavor is just, um, idk how to describe it...it tastes gunky & heavy sorta even tho it's brand new. (It's a juice I know, so that isn't it...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread