Switzerland
2lwt4ye.jpg

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
What am I doing wrong? The PVC at each pole is slightly floating so there is no connection...

For 1, did you wrap them yourself or buy them that way? 2, where did you get them if they were rewrapped?

I will never buy rewrapped cells. I don't trust them. Why buy someone else's "junk" or "problems" when I have enough of my own. Always buy cells from a reliable source such as Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery distributor. That's where I bought mine when I was using 18650 before making the switch to lipos. They are the cheapest around for authentic cells.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I rewrapped them myself, they charge and work fine in my regulated mods. They don't work in my Molly (mech squonker)
I guess I did one end 1st then work up to the the other end... not sure though!
gcxHwa

1-zXM4cfWl.jpg
From what I've seen of the Molly, it has those flat contact points, yes? I have a frankenvape clone, similar contacts. Looks like your wrap sits higher than the posi terminal (battery on the right), meaning your posi is not making connection with the contact on the mod...

dms25

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2014
Switzerland
From what I've seen of the Molly, it has those flat contact points, yes? I have a frankenvape clone, similar contacts. Looks like your wrap sits higher than the posi terminal (battery on the right), meaning your posi is not making connection with the contact on the mod...

Yep, figured that much... so what am I doing wrong in wrapping?

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Your DIY wrap looks much better than my few attempts. Did you get those terminal protectors (black) aftermarket? could be too thick. Or, by the look of it, the posi terminal "nipple" has been pressed in slightly from use and abuse... Is the battery on the left OG wrapped?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
The wrap looks a bit thick. But the job looks fine.
Do you only have the red wraps?

I "might" trim a mm from the wrap and try it again.
I would do the ends first and then the center to "pull" in the slack.

Cheers
I

I get my wraps from Nkon and tend to like the lighter colours. (they seem less thick, but that's only my opinion.)

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2015
Raleigh, NC
Terminal protectors are the originals which were on the batteries beforehand.
What is OG wrapped?
View media item 430533
Sorry, original wrapper (came to you wrapped like that). I thought maybe the left one you show was for comparison to the original wrapper. It is well done if you did it. And now looking at your negs, that may also be a culprit and not allow connection to a "flat" contact...

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2015
This happens to me all the time bud.

I bought some similar wrapping material from FastTech and, while it is durable and does the work, depending on the cell, it might stop the positive pin from making contact with the atty or the negative gets blocked from making contact with the firing button of my mech(if the button on said mod has a larger surface area).

When you rewrap, and heat up the material (I carefully use a blow torch on low flame) both ends tend to curl up and I have yet to find a way to mitigate this effect. What I do myself, is afterwards I very very(VERY) carefully trim around the wrap a bit to get that "raised" material off and this will allow your battery to sit more flush with the contacts inside.

Try out whatever works best for you. Just use caution on all parts, but more specifically on the positive end. This is where a steady hand and precision are of the utmost importance. All it takes is one slip of the blade to make contact and short out that cell and sparks will fly.

This is only the solution that I MYSELF came up with. Maybe there is a better, safer way of doing this that I haven't thought of? Maybe someone knows of a company that cells wraps or rolls of rewrap materials that do not curl up like this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Izan

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2015
The wrap looks a bit thick. But the job looks fine.
Do you only have the red wraps?

I "might" trim a mm from the wrap and try it again.
I would do the ends first and then the center to "pull" in the slack.

Cheers
I

I get my wraps from Nkon and tend to like the lighter colours. (they seem less thick, but that's only my opinion.)
Are the wraps you get from Nkon precut also? Do you buy them in a roll and cut the amount you need? So these dont "curl" up like that after heating up?

Thanks for your info. This may be the solution that ive been looking for. Hopefully the OP will find it helpful as well. Maybe the cheap FastTech wraps, while being thicker, and therefore very durable, may not be the best option.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Are the wraps you get from Nkon precut also? Do you buy them in a roll and cut the amount you need? So these dont "curl" up like that after heating up?

Thanks for your info. This may be the solution that ive been looking for. Hopefully the OP will find it helpful as well. Maybe the cheap FastTech wraps, while being thicker, and therefore very durable, may not be the best option.
They are precuts. (I always get a few with each battery order, just to have.)
I tend to use a light touch with the heat because I have had more "curl" than I wanted. (esp with a torch.)
But hey, at .02€ each...I just try try again.

Reactions: Derek Cross

stormjib

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2014
California
I can't see all of the posted pics, but there is a good chance that the solution is to dimple the ends of your (edit: mod's copper) contacts. These mech squonks are a little different than most contacts, and seem to require fine-tuning. If your positive contact (on the battery itself) is dented in, you may not be able to use that battery, but try to make good contact by manipulating the copper, rather than the battery. Other than that, how do you like the Molly? I just ordered one about an hour ago.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
This happens to me all the time bud.

I bought some similar wrapping material from FastTech and, while it is durable and does the work, depending on the cell, it might stop the positive pin from making contact with the atty or the negative gets blocked from making contact with the firing button of my mech(if the button on said mod has a larger surface area).

When you rewrap, and heat up the material (I carefully use a blow torch on low flame) both ends tend to curl up and I have yet to find a way to mitigate this effect. What I do myself, is afterwards I very very(VERY) carefully trim around the wrap a bit to get that "raised" material off and this will allow your battery to sit more flush with the contacts inside.

Try out whatever works best for you. Just use caution on all parts, but more specifically on the positive end. This is where a steady hand and precision are of the utmost importance. All it takes is one slip of the blade to make contact and short out that cell and sparks will fly.

This is only the solution that I MYSELF came up with. Maybe there is a better, safer way of doing this that I haven't thought of? Maybe someone knows of a company that cells wraps or rolls of rewrap materials that do not curl up like this?

I use a heat gun but before I had the Heat gun I used my wife's hair dryer. I would hold one side of the cell while working from the center out to the ends. To fix the problem with the ends, what I would do is while the end of the wrap is still warm I would push that end down on my desk I'm working at which will flatten the wrap. Never had an issue and didn't have to worry about touching the contact with a knife or scissors. A lot safer that way. Try that and see if it works for you as it did for me.

dangkhoa02106

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
VIET NAM
The positive of the battery look all right but the negative.
Normally, in the mech mod, you will push the contact pin of the fire button to let it contact with the negative so the mech mod will be fire.
But, in this case, the PVC wrap is too much at the negative so the contact pin of the fire button will seat on PVC wrap instead of the metal.

Derek Cross

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2015
I use a heat gun but before I had the Heat gun I used my wife's hair dryer. I would hold one side of the cell while working from the center out to the ends. To fix the problem with the ends, what I would do is while the end of the wrap is still warm I would push that end down on my desk I'm working at which will flatten the wrap. Never had an issue and didn't have to worry about touching the contact with a knife or scissors. A lot safer that way. Try that and see if it works for you as it did for me.
Great idea. Why i never thought of this even though im mildy intelligent is beyond me.

For me, this would work well for the negative end. The issue i will have is with the positive end of the LG HB4's. The top part extends very far past where the wrap is laying. My VTC 's should work with this method.

Would you have another suggestion for the LG' s in that brain as well, lol?

Im wondering if while hot, I could use some kind of hard, but thin plastic to gently push the wrap at the positive end down against the batteries? See, the positive extends far enough past the "curled" plastic to make contact with the atty, but I still dont like that my wrap isnt flush on any cell, on either side, positive or negative.

I wont be re wrapping cells for a while, but I will definitely be trying your idea. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread