Reynolds to begin marketing low priced Zonnic NRT gum in convenience stores, test market in Des Moines

Discussion in 'Media and General News' started by Bill Godshall, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bill Godshall

Bill Godshall Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Reynolds to begin marketing low priced Zonnic NRT gum in convenience stores
    Reynolds adds aids to stop smoking | JournalNow.com

Reynolds could quickly grab some NRT gum market share from drug companies by selling Zonnic ten-packs for $3 at convenience stores (which I've unsuccessfully urged drug companies to do for the past several years).

Will be interesting to see if Reynolds places Zonnic with cigarette displays or with other NRT products at pharmacies (as many/most NRT product displays are locked and only accessible by sales clerks).

Will also be interesting to see the reactions by Medicare, Medicaid, health insurers and those who have lobbied for laws requiring taxpayers and healthcare insurers to provide free or heavily subsidized NRT products to smokers.

2. Bill Godshall

Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    So that's what Payne has been focussing on for the past three years.
    Before becoming president of Niconovum, Payne was head of government affairs (i.e. lobbying) for RJ Reynolds.

3. VapApe

VapApe Super Member ECF Veteran

Do they come in yummy flavors ?;)

You should see all the flavors of NRT they have at Wall Mart.

4. Petrodus

Petrodus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mmmm ...
    Guess NRT flavors don't target kids, just e-cigarette flavors !
    :p

5. jj2

jj2 Moved On Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    That is what I was thinking!!

6. recidivus

recidivus Ultra Member ECF Veteran

mmmmm...these NRTs taste like greenbacks!

7. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Walk through a Wal-Mart and observe where all those "kid-friendly flavors" of NRTs are shelved. I have photos of them being on the bottom shelf out in the open where the band-aids and cold remedies are stocked.

On the other hand, where I have been able to find e-cigarettes or dissolvable tobacco products, they have been behind the counter where the cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and other tobacco products are stored. They require assistance of a sales person for someone to get their hands on them.

8. Petrodus

Petrodus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Did ya ever ask the store management why they hide e-cigarettes and
    dissolvable tobacco products and openly display the candy flavored NRTs ??
    :p

9. VapApe

VapApe Super Member ECF Veteran

What your expecting a wall mart manager to know were somethings at?:blink::ohmy:

Good luck on that one;)

10. rothenbj

rothenbj Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I was a bit confused by CTFK's statements-

Earlier in the article it specified that the product was FDA approved so I don't understand what else these ANTZ are looking for?

11. recidivus

recidivus Ultra Member ECF Veteran

This blows my mind. While looking for vinyl gloves I ended up staring at the NRTs. All were at child height. I didn't see if lozenges were there, but gums, patches, the old standards were all there. This is up in Canada where there's strict regulation on tobacco products, they must be kept behind opaque doors, out of view. You want a smoke, you gotta know your brand. Smoking age is 21 now, but any kid can grab a box of gum.

12. Stubby

Stubby Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Is that the same Canada where black market cigarettes can be had for a song and dance? Last I heard there are provinces where 50% of cigarettes sold are black market. I'M sure all the teens in Canada are good boys and girls who would never think of doing something illegal. I know that's how they all are down hear in the land of the brave and home of the free.

13. Drew_

Drew_ Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Because candy flavored NRTs are made by GlaxoSmithKline. They are sold as a cessation device but in my experience that's not always the case. I know people who just went from smoking to chewing the gum indefinitely. Interesting is that up until now big pharm's NRTs have not been considered a tobacco product, but it's going to look a little strange with Reyolds selling the stuff in the tobacco case a few isles down.

14. Bill Godshall

Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    rothenbj wrote

It is very likely that Matt Myers didn't know (just as I didn't know) that Zonnic had already been approved by the FDA as a NRT when Richard Craver interviewed him for the article.

When Craver asked me (several days before the article was published) my thoughts about FDA's response to Reynolds marketing Zonnic and other NRT products, I told him that I was very concerned that FDA may treat Reynolds differently than drug companies because the FDA has made inaccurate and misleading claims about tobacco manufacturers and products.

I only found out that FDA had already approved Zonnic when I read his news article that stated it, and suspect Myers did too.

15. Vocalek

Vocalek CASAA Activist ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    While looking for something else, I came across this abstract of a study using Zonnic for smoking cessation.

Randomized crossover trial of the acceptabi... [Nicotine Tob Res. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

16. TennDave

TennDave Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I wonder if you can extract the nicotine from these NRT's for vaping if they are cheap enough?
    Seems you wouldn't even have to flavor them- the flavor is yummy and already there!!! :)

(just a thought but could help if e-liquid in bulk was banned)

17. Bill Godshall

Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    If/when Zonnic gains market share among NRT products (as Reynolds plans to sell it for $3 per ten pack at hundreds of thousands of convenience stores), I wouldn't be surprised if some anti tobacco groups (that don't receive drug industry funding) begin to denounce and campaign against NRT (just because Reynolds is selling it too).

18. DC2

DC2 Tootie Puffer Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Should be interesting.

I would think if they do that, they will pull the entire Tobacco Harm Reduction debate into the public arena.
    And if that happens, they are going to lose, and Big Pharma might even wind up getting exposed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.