Status
Not open for further replies.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Yes................... on YouTube that had to wrap a Rag around the mod due to Excessive heat...........went thermal as the battery drained :facepalm:

He threw the mod in a waste container in his bed room.:lol::lol::lol:

Jeez!!! I didn't think it could get worse than the dish rag, just shows how wrong a person can be!

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
I did have a friend with a stupid low build where he melted part of the wrapper on an MNKE battery, he re-wrapped it and carried on. Not something I'd do, or recommend. But that's as close as I've seen personally.

Yes................... on YouTube that had to wrap a Rag around the mod due to Excessive heat...........went thermal as the battery drained :facepalm:

He threw the mod in a waste container in his bed room.:lol::lol::lol:

Ok, that brings up another point, there seem to be two separate sets of circumstances at play. One, you're taxing the battery too hard, and there are usually clear warning signs such as the mod being too hot to hold without an insulating layer :facepalm:, and that can be attributed to too low resistance. Then there is two, where there seems to be an almost immediate reaction resulting in a venting battery/explosion, with little to no warning.

In the first scenario, yes, you're an idiot. In the second, you might just be ignorant. Both would be mostly avoidable, with the proper set of precautions.

Reactions: sawlight

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
In the first scenario, yes, you're an idiot. In the second, you might just be ignorant. Both would be mostly avoidable, with the proper set of precautions.

True, however things are often NOT as reported. The mind builds protective circumstance.

Example:
A user who had an atomizer launch into his bedroom ceiling Stated - I pressed the button and it just Exploded.(instant hard short with instant failure?)
Same user stated - As I was about to take a draw I heard it sizzling.(Time Passage?)
Same instance - same user
:blink:

Once a Battery goes Thermal - there is no stopping the reaction.......however when conditions are right for a Thermal event, often a poor decision or lack of proper reaction creates a catastrophic failure.
*not reacting to an auto-fire, hot switch or even an odd difference in performance.

Something is OFF with the pictured switch.
Both v1 and v2 are supposed to have the SAME Switch. A single piece button with machined Female threaded extension, Return spring and Center pin with Male threading.

Why does this switch have Male threads and a Nylon sleeve? o_O
Could that Nylon(if heated) have caused the switch to Bind when pressed?
The sleeve is damaged. Is that from Venting or previous tampering?
Could the Switch have rocked, hard shorting the battery?

To many questions - to little evidence. :cool:
a) Battery Was most likely inverted - though not verifiable.
b) Battery did Violently vent.
c) The bulk of early gas release was out the switch side of the mod.
(Two large Vent slots under switch)

* I have noted in searching Switch design, comments about a Delrin insert sitting above the battery. I have not been able to verify this on the Authentic, but am concerned that any insert would restrict Switch side Venting.:shock:

Roughneck Switch 2:00 minutes in:

image-jpg.549866

Clone v2
rBVaHVbey62AbBI7AACdY6Nd_Tk104.jpg

Reactions: Lessifer

homeuser6

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2013
brightwood,or.,usa
i pay special attention to exploding mod threads. i make my own mods and have been using them for years without incident. since this thread seems to have many experts,maybe some could assess the relative safety (or lack of) of this design.there is a regular coil spring in the switch and the positive insulator is nylon66. all my batteries have a clear wrapper over the original.
DSC01991.JPG

DSC01992.JPG

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
View attachment 549866 View attachment 549867 So my local community has been up in arms lately due to a tube exploding. I'll fill you in on the details as I understand them and have been verified by multiple people close the the explosion.

Day of a cloud comp, local shop is hosting three comps one of which is a .1 Tube Class.

I stopped reading right there, why on earth would a local shop host a cloud comp for builds that low? To make a dumb move even more special you do it at the shop where you become personally liable for everyone's safety.

GENIUS IDEA!

Reactions: DC2

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
i pay special attention to exploding mod threads. i make my own mods and have been using them for years without incident. since this thread seems to have many experts,maybe some could assess the relative safety (or lack of) of this design.there is a regular coil spring in the switch and the positive insulator is nylon66. all my batteries have a clear wrapper over the original.
View attachment 551074
View attachment 551075

You did not include a pic of a Qualified idiot.:D
Excellent looking devices!:thumb:
Are you exclusively using recessed switch designs?o_O

Did anyone notice the Op has not posted back to EFC since the Day he started all this?:glare:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Oh-ya, we have it on film. .... The Towel Guy .... :lol:

oops crxess beat me to it.
I contend that "the mod got so hot I couldn't hold it anymore" would not be a detail easily left out. Also, if the mod got too hot, there would be no injury to the hand. I guess I'm trying to say that a venting due to a low build would "look" different, in most respects, from a hard short incident.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I contend that "the mod got so hot I couldn't hold it anymore" would not be a detail easily left out. Also, if the mod got too hot, there would be no injury to the hand. I guess I'm trying to say that a venting due to a low build would "look" different, in most respects, from a hard short incident.

A continually overlooked series of events even in Hard short makes discussion almost impossible.

While some Preach instant explosion, Repeated Deliberate Hard short test - Video Documented - almost always take many many seconds to even produce a venting situation. Often this is followed by several seconds of low gas exhaust before full catastrophic failure comes into play.

The only Instant catastrophic failure I have witnessed so far in all of my video reviews of testing(forced Failure) is during actual Battery destruction. Events like a Knife into a Soft side lithium battery or a Nail driven into the casing of a cylindrical Shell protected battery. In these cases it is Clearly Internal (damage) Failure creating an instant event.

Just stating what is obvious and available for reference.:cool:

Ultrafire:

a Bit of Visual Battery Schooling:

Reactions: Baditude

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
A continually overlooked series of events even in Hard short makes discussion almost impossible.

While some Preach instant explosion, Repeated Deliberate Hard short test - Video Documented - almost always take many many seconds to even produce a venting situation. Often this is followed by several seconds of low gas exhaust before full catastrophic failure comes into play.

The only Instant catastrophic failure I have witnessed so far in all of my video reviews of testing(forced Failure) is during actual Battery destruction. Events like a Knife into a Soft side lithium battery or a Nail driven into the casing of a cylindrical Shell protected battery. In these cases it is Clearly Internal (damage) Failure creating an instant event.

Just stating what is obvious and available for reference.:cool:

Ultrafire:

a Bit of Visual Battery Schooling:

Right, no, I get that. "Instant" explosions don't actually happen instantaneously. I guess I'm wondering, if you had a hard short inside of a mod, would you notice the same heating of the mod that you would if you were pulling too many amps more gradually?

What I'm thinking is, hard short, that takes say 60 seconds to get to the pressure to pop the mod, might just seem like an unresponsive mod, unless it's getting really hot.

Reactions: MMW

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Right, no, I get that. "Instant" explosions don't actually happen instantaneously. I guess I'm wondering, if you had a hard short inside of a mod, would you notice the same heating of the mod that you would if you were pulling too many amps more gradually?

What I'm thinking is, hard short, that takes say 60 seconds to get to the pressure to pop the mod, might just seem like an unresponsive mod, unless it's getting really hot.

Correct, this is where good venting - lacking in most mods - is critical.
I do not know that a well vented mod would not come apart, but I very much believe the likelihood would be far less.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
battery gas coming out the vents would instantly inspire me to put distance between myself and the mod
That's the part I don't get, everything I've seen has been a somewhat slow reaction, though I read mooch's blog about fast thermal runaway. If there was any indication of a serious problem, i.e. heat or gasses, why would anyone still be holding the mod?

Reactions: Baditude

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Everyone here Knows This. But I'll just post it for Anyone Reading this thread who might Not.
Count me as one of those who did not.
That was extremely useful and now I almost understand.

Well, except for that one dude who said he could argue about it all night long.
So yeah, still unclear but your picture made a hell of a lot of sense.
That is what We have been saying :D
Yeah, if you guys have been saying it, it went WAY over my head.
This thread can no longer be recovered back to useful.
Au contraire, mon ami.

This thread is starting to get more and more useful.
It is showing how simple all of this "really" is to the average person.

Go Darwin!!!
:laugh:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Count me as one of those who did not.
That was extremely useful and now I almost understand.

Well, except for that one dude who said he could argue about it all night long.
So yeah, still unclear but your picture made a hell of a lot of sense.

Good Deal DC2.

With a Forum of this Size and with the High Amount of traffic the ECF receives from people like Policy Makers, Media Analysts, Curious Smokers and Non-Smoker/Vapers, I can Guarantee that you were Not Alone.

Reactions: ENAUD

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Well, that stumps me even more! I was thinking that maybe the battery had been compromised before hand and this sent it into thermal overload.
But stepping back and reflecting, I can't honestly say that was the case.
BUT, on another note, I was at a friends house one night, hanging outside and heard a loud boom, sounded like a 12ga shotgun had gone off! We went over to the Jeep we had just parked 30min? earlier and upon opening the hood we saw the battery had exploded! Never seen or heard of it before, never seen it since! Put a new battery in it and all was good. No shorts, nothing wrong with anything. New battery and we drove it for a few more years. Never did, and still doesn't make sense to me.
Working with battery powered side loaders, forklifts designed to go down narrow isles and pick things off of racks, we had numerous safety precautions we had to follow loading, unloading, charging and disconnecting the charger to prevent explosions. I watched in fear one night as they dumped a 64 volt? battery pack off the rack onto the floor! It was every bit of 400lbs, how those batteries didn't explode I'll never know!
So while I can't say definitively what happened in this case, I have seen a lot of weird S#$% happen that I can't explain!
Thanks for the vids @crxess.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
BUT, on another note, I was at a friends house one night, hanging outside and heard a loud boom, sounded like a 12ga shotgun had gone off! We went over to the Jeep we had just parked 30min? earlier and upon opening the hood we saw the battery had exploded! Never seen or heard of it before, never seen it since! Put a new battery in it and all was good. No shorts, nothing wrong with anything. New battery and we drove it for a few more years. Never did, and still doesn't make sense to me.

Clearly the Battery was installed Upside Down.

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
Deductive Reasoning and Critical Thinking would Dictate that the Fact that the Mod was Not Performing Properly before this Incident can Not be Summarily Discounted.

But some people would rather Throw Out things that Don't Fit well into their Theories or Can't be Explained based on what they have been Told.

My experience overrules your google search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread