Rig Mod Explodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
How would that protect anyone that didn't recognize a dead short?

Tapatyped
Wouldn't protect any of them. That is my point.
Never vented a battery or even got one hot and I vaped with some recycled 4.5 a CDR ICR laptop batteries for a while. Kept them within their limits and used them in decent equipment.

Reactions: ENAUD

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
View attachment 549866 View attachment 549867 So my local community has been up in arms lately due to a tube exploding. I'll fill you in on the details as I understand them and have been verified by multiple people close the the explosion.

Day of a cloud comp, local shop is hosting three comps one of which is a .1 Tube Class. A few hours before the comp is scheduled to begin a customer in the shop asks an employee for help. His mod won't fire.

Employee takes the Rig w/ roughneck and disassembles it to remove battery and check the atomizer ohms. Clapton that reads at a .17 without any issues. Receives new battery from the customer(half-wrap MXJO) and assembles mod to check for connection and firing issues.

Employee pressed the button and the mod explodes near instantaneously(a few seconds without firing while he was checking for the coil to heat up) shooting the button out of the bottom and through part of his hand.

So, that night and for the following few days the entire community starts bashing this individual online, for having a build below what they say is the max cont. amp limits of this battery. They scream that it was just too low and everyone should be building higher! A .21 would've been safe! (Regardless of the fact it wasn't his) Which caused it to explode like that. People bring up shorts and mechanical failures and are covered in memes and .... talking until they leave the group.

People try to address that this incident is suddenly being used to fuel someone else's passion for raising limits and promoting mass hysteria not teaching safety.

Shops begin changing their build limits to base everything off 20A limits. People continue to cry and say comps need to be done with forever. Any discussion not between those of a like mind with this side is immediately turned abusive and screaming if "IT WAS BUILT TOO LOW" drowns out what I believe to be the real issue here.

So here I am, asking for outside opinions. I've tried posting and people are so locked into their side of the argument nobody cares what really happened or why.

What are your thoughts?

Feel free to ask questions and I will explain further or elaborate as required.

*note: the employee is alive and well, he may have some small nerve damage on the pink side of his hand*

My thoughts:

1: "Day of a cloud comp, local shop is hosting three comps one of which is a .1 Tube Class."

That says a lot.

2: " A few hours before the comp is scheduled to begin a customer in the shop asks an employee for help. His mod won't fire."

Sounds like the customer is a newb; sounds like the shop was doing a poor job

As for the rda being able to screw directly into the tube instead of using the pinless topcap, since the customers sounds like a newb, maybe he didn't even know that and wasn't using it in that mode.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
The kool cloud factor is what draws some to vaping. And they want to start out running 200 watts and blowing clouds before they learn any safety stuff.

Oh look, Drag racing seems neat. Think I'll buy a Funny Car :facepalm:

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I've been vaping for 5 years, and using mechanicals for nearly the entire time. I use REOs exclusively now, but I have a shelf full of retired mech tubes, RDAs, and genisis RBAs.
I don't recall this stuff ever being an issue, other than reading about an occasional Ego failure, due to improper charging.
It seems to have only become an issue in the last couple years, with the advent of cloud comps/chasing, rewrapped batteries, which are being falsely rated above manufacturer specs, and super low building.
Tube mod comp class, with the limit set at .1 ohm or above? Seriously!? There is no 18650 battery on the planet that will safely handle a .1 ohm build. That's 42 amps, on full charge. C'mon, people. I don't care how many holes you drill in your mod, or where you drill them. It's still not safe.
Whatever happened to building attys with sufficient headroom below the battery CDR?
Sorry for the rant.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Moar Klowdz for daze.

Yeah, I know. That's what bugs me. IMO, if you can't get sufficient clouds while building within safe CDR limits of the battery; you don't know what you're doing.
Simple as that.

milandjikic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
And all that could have been avoided by using proper batteries, not a rewraps of a rewrap...
Mxjo, Efest... same thing.
A real 20A battery will handle those 4A over specs with no issue. I tested my AW on 30A and it hasn't even warmed up. Tested my 18500 AW at .2 resistance and same thing, they stay cool as they were. They will pick up some heat from atty and mod, but on a 5 sec test fire, before the heat is transfered from the atty to the mod and battery, batteries are staying at room temp.
And as i have stated before on some Canadian FB vape groups, a mech mod without locking sistem and a proper ventilation on both sides of the mod is a ticking bomb. I have ended up being expelled from one such group for talking nonsense, but hey, i don't care any more. Stopped caring after seeing some of baditudes from people in those groups...
That guy in the shop ha probably put the battery upside down, and if the battery i flat nipple, the switch could have easily short the battery. The battery shouldn't explode without over heating first, but then again, i don't consider MXJO as a trustworthy brand.
Someone above mentioned he was using laptop batteries. Same here, used them over one year, was so broken with money i couldn't afford a decent battery (being broken was the reason i swithced to vaping), but just by following a common sense and not letting my resistance goes under 1.2 Ohm i never had any troubles with it. It all comes down to paying attention to what you do, and use some logic. If you can't do that, buy a regulated mod with internal battery to save your self from blowing your limbs up.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Haven't seen the point of "competitive" vaping, but then again, I'm not a "cloud chaser" style of vaper.
...I don't recall this stuff ever being an issue...It seems to have only become an issue in the last couple years, with the advent of cloud comps/chasing, rewrapped batteries, which are being falsely rated above manufacturer specs, and super low building.
Tube mod comp class, with the limit set at .1 ohm or above? Seriously!? There is no 18650 battery on the planet that will safely handle a .1 ohm build. That's 42 amps, on full charge. C'mon, people. I don't care how many holes you drill in your mod, or where you drill them. It's still not safe.
Whatever happened to building attys with sufficient headroom below the battery CDR?
I've used a mech off and on for over four years. I did have a battery explode about 2 weeks in with my first mech, but that was user error on my part. My only prior experience with batteries was with flashlights, and if you left the power switch on too long you just drained the battery dead. The power switch on my mech got pressed too long when it was in my pocket in a pair of pants hanging in my locker at work, over-discharged the battery and it went into thermal runaway. Wow, who would have known batteries can explode?! o_O This incident prompted me to learn more about batteries and safe vaping practices.

The vape shop where I used to work had competitive cloud chasing competitions all the time. I never participated nor did I really approve of them. I saw them akin to immature boys pissing in the snow to see who could pee the farthest. I never was the type to try to impress my buddies with how much vapor my vape toy could make, either. I guess I'm just a grumpy old man. :grr:

images
upload_2016-4-30_14-24-2.jpeg

Last edited:

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
8/100th of an ohm? The OP's guy was running 0.17, 17/100's of a ohm.
Isn't 0.17 the lowest one would would run? Using the best available battery.

Again, the build in the OPs Rig wouldnt have mattered.
It would have happened with a. 1.7 ohm build.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
8/100th of an ohm? The OP's guy was running 0.17, 17/100's of a ohm.
Isn't 0.17 the lowest one would would run? Using the best available battery.
The best battery with the highest continuous discharge rate has a true 32A CDR (according to Mooch's research).
LG HB6 Pink 30A 1500mAh 18650 Bench Test Results...great 32A/1500mAh battery, better than ivory HB6

That means no one should build lower than 0.13 ohms when using this battery for a mech mod. Obviously, other batteries by other manufacturers are going to have a lower cdr, so should have a higher resistance coil build.

But I agree with Bad Ninja. It wouldn't have mattered in the case of the OP. Putting batteries in upside down is a poor idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: beckdg

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Again, the build in the OPs Rig wouldnt have mattered.
It would have happened with a. 1.7 ohm build.

Yup Bad Ninja :thumb:

It's funny how people twist things to suit their own agendas, or maybe they really just don't know any better.

That would be kinda sad though specially from the experienced vapers around here.

Then again, experience and knowledge of the topic do not always correlate.

Grumpy old man today ... But I feel better now :cool:

Now ... get off my lawn :grr:

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread