RJ Reynolds declares war on e-cigarette companies and consumers in states

Discussion in 'Legislation News' started by Bill Godshall, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Bill Godshall

Bill Godshall Executive Director
    Smokefree Pennsylvania
    ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    During the past week, I helped generate the two following new articles exposing RJ Reynolds' campaign to ban and/or significantly increase costs for nearly all (if not all) existing e-cigarette sales in OK and RI, and for many/most in NC.

This new three page long Daily Caller article is truly excellent (I couldn't have written it better myself)
    Big tobacco stubs out e-cigarette competitors | The Daily Caller

Unfortunately, yesterday's Winston Salem Journal article portrayed Reynolds as a responsible tobacco company that doesn't want youth using e-cigs.
    Bill would close loophole allowing e-cigarette sales to minors - Winston-Salem Journal: Local

There are already ECF threads on the OK, RI and NC bills that Reynolds is sponsoring.

Another likely reason why Reynolds is sponsoring state legislation to ban (and/or significantly increase costs for) e-cigarettes sold by hundreds of other companies is because Reynolds reported a 5.6% cigarette volume decline in 2012, while overall cigarette industry volume declined by 2.3%.
    http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...rnings_on_resilient_operating_performance.pdf

2. 2coils

2coils Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mr. Godshall, your GOOD work is appreciated by all in this community. Hopefully, the word will spread, and people will see this for what it is.

3. Whosback

Whosback Super Member ECF Veteran

Its the same thing Big T did to basically use the government to eliminate smaller competition by driving the cost of being in the tobacco industry so high you had to be a multi billion dollar company to even compete.

We can't keep companies like this from entering the industry, but we have to stop laws and regulations that will hand the industry over to them on a silver platter.

4. cherrycakes

cherrycakes Ultra Member ECF Veteran

jerkwads
    :(

5. Chimney34

Chimney34 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Wow! Unfortunately I'm not surprised by the article in the Winston Salem Journal. As a resident here for many years now RJR has so many things & places named in its honor its not hard to put 2 & 2 together. So many residents make their money off of big tobacco in this area that I'd be shocked if anyone was brave enough to publish an article of anything other than glowing reviews & praise for RJR.

6. ElectricalSocket

ElectricalSocket Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

7. flintlock62

flintlock62 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hopefully, all vapers will boycott anything Vuse, or anything RJ Reynolds.

We should all write our senators asking to block SB 802. Letters are better than internet, but an email is better than nothing.

Call toll-free 1-866-658-8337 to be connected to your legislators' offices

8. flintlock62

Hopefully at sticky can be made warning newcomers to NOT purchase anything VUSE related.

9. RonsPlc

RonsPlc ECF Live Chat Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

the way I see it is this... if they want to make money off nicotine... fine, I use nicotine in my e-cig.
    refine it, and sell it as a product I can use.
    others have, why can't they?
    granted... there isn't as much of a profit... but welcome to the revolution!

10. flintlock62

The problem is, they want total control, and want to push small business out.

11. mostlyclassics

mostlyclassics Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    This is a classic example of American crony capitalism.

Lots of folks here try to make the point that Big Pharma, operating through their "ownership" of the FDA, is vaping's biggest enemy, and that Big Tobacco is our buddy because of its investment in e-cigarette companies.

Clearly this strategy by RJR demonstrates that both BP and BT are exploiting the system equally to squish the threat e-cigarettes pose to their cozy monopolies.

12. DanFromRioRancho

DanFromRioRancho Super Member ECF Veteran

Unfortunately, it's a business model that works: Walmart, Starbucks,........

13. flintlock62

So, the small guy has not place, big business only? Besides, Wally World sucks!

14. DanFromRioRancho

DanFromRioRancho Super Member ECF Veteran

You may have misunderstood my post; put an emphasis on "unfortunately".

I refuse to go to StarBucks, and I will not shop at WalMart because of the way they destroy the Mom & Pop shops.

I am making the statement that the destruction of the Mom & Pop shops is a business model that brings the bully-boys success -- we shouldn't be surprised when other bullies try to make their success in the same fashion.

You don't have to like it, I certainly hate it, but we have to recognize it's existence and be aware that you and I are not going to change it.

15. tnt56

tnt56 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Thank you Mr. Godshall. God bless you and all of the members of CASAA who support our cause. I was thankful to be able to watch your statement at the FDA hearing on the internet. You are a very special person for this worthy cause.

16. flintlock62

Yes, I did misunderstand. Sorry about that, chief! I don't think we will like what Phillip Morris would dictate what we use. If we're lucky, they won't be able to shove this thing through. If they do, I hope we will still be able to by mod's, and such. I'm stocking up on nic base as much as possible, just in case.

If not, then we may see your avatar posted on ecig web sites.:evil:

17. tnt56

tnt56 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I also refuse to shop at the large retail stores. I'll chose the mom and pop stores, or the employee owned places evertime. If enough people had the same feelings then the big coporations might get just the slightest tingle. They wouldn't be hurt by anymeans, but everytime someone does not purchase from them it takes just a few pennies from their pocket. I'll stand by my choices and hope others will also. If enough pennies are taken they will start to notice. (proubable not but I can dream).

18. Erncig

Erncig Senior Member ECF Veteran

I wouldn't take it personal. If you where them, you would do the same thing. It's inevitable and I just will be thankful vaping is still around.

19. Petrodus

Petrodus Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Every time Walmart announces plans to open a store in a community ...
    Everyone seems to complain about they will push out the small businesses
    and campaign to boycott Walmart promoting shopping at local stores.

Soon after Walmart opens ... Almost everyone is strolling up and down
    the Walmart isles.
    :p

20. Antoly

Antoly Senior Member ECF Veteran

I am afraid the long-term goal of BT's e-cig initiatives is to get competitors out of business by changing laws and then just to stop manufacturing e-cigs, basing on the fact "are not proved to be 100% safe". Big thread for BT eliminated. I hope I am wrong.

: revolution
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.