RM2, # of Squonks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Campbell River, BC, Canada
i have only had my LP Grand/RM2 for a week now, today I re wicked and I noticed I wasn't getting the same amount of vapes per squonk, I am now getting around 5 vapes. But for the first week on my first wick I swear I vapes for 20 minutes on one squonk, I am sure because I was driving home and that is the time it takes, werd I know. I know I left the tail longer the first time could that be the reason, is it a good or a bad thing leaving the tail longer on one side.

Reactions: Kenna

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
5ish sounds about right to me, longer tails will hold more juice, but your vapor production tends to suffer. Depends, of course, on what material you use for wicks, I run silica, so YMMV. Resistance also is a factor, I get around 3-5 per squonk at 1.4-1.6 ohms.

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
My personal preference is less wick material and squonking more often. This means I am not cooking the juice prior to vaping and gives me a cleaner vape. Also I can vape the atty almost dry within a few hits and that means less / no leakage when the mod is in my pocket. I run a fairly conservative setup 28AWG Kanthal @ 1.2ohms wrapped around a 1mm rod. Small amount of organic cotton. With this setup I get about the same amount of vapour as i would smoke out of a normal cig. I normally vape around 3ml per day so the battery easily lasts a full day 6AM till 11PM. I swap the battery first thing in the morning and fill the bottle and re wick every other day. every couple of weeks I wind a new coil and give the mod a good clean. I have tried lower ohm and dual coil builds etc but i found that battery life was much shorter and juice consumption much greater and the contacts etc need a clean more often.

ed101z

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
East TN
Everyone is different. I like a long mustache of CelluCotton going around each post. Coil is 3/32. Gives me about 6-9 (depending on juice) good, long vapes at a time. But CC acts more like a bridge to deliver the juice rather than a sponge to absorb it (KGD). That might be why I get lengthy vapes.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Varying your wick (density and length) will have the effect you describe. Basically, the more wick material, the more juice stored in the atty with each squonk.

Personally, I like a short wick so that I reduce the chances of cooking the juice that's in the wick but not being vapourized. You'll know that's happening when you see the juice in the bottle get darker as the cooked juice gets mixed with fresh juice and then sucked back into the bottle.

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Campbell River, BC, Canada
With the shorter wick I have noticed the flavor is more vibrant as well, it's only my 2nd week but squonking is already starting to become second nature. Thanks everyone don't know what I would do without all your advise, it makes the transition almost seamless.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
OMT - on the asymmetrical wick note, it shouldn't affect the vape. The only thing you're doing is varying the amount of juice stored in the wick at the ends. One end will have more "reserve" capacity to keep vaping with.

With cotton, this means you run the slight risk of one end getting dry before the other. Rayon, slightly less risk as it wicks better so the longer tail will feed the whole coil. With RxW, you won't notice at all - in fact, a lot of (most?) people run an asymmetrical wick with it tilted toward the deck as it's a stiff material.

Reactions: rudy4653
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread