Not open for further replies.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Thanks. Ok, I understand what you were saying about the hole pointing up and also the o-ring between the cap and base. The picture was fabulous. Thank you. What didn't make sense to me is how an o-ring in the juice well would do anything at all to make it easier to align the air hole.

Now, if I just knew what a "grand bottle cap" was, I'd be all set. :p:laugh:

By putting the oring in the juice well, you are giving the RBA a cushion to screw down against. This way you can turn it (compressing the oring some) as much as you need so the coil is pointing up - within reason. If you still can't get it to point up using that small oring, you can get a slightly thicker oring (I suggested the one that comes with a spare REO grand bottle cause I saw a post where Rob said they work good and they do). Sometimes the perfect coil alignment might happen with no oring shims in the well - that's ok. You just don't want to have to over tighten the RBA to get that alignment nor do you want it too loose - that's where the rubber shims (Orings) come in. :)

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i'm back at work tomorrow - so i'll find it. Great tutorial btw super-X - the needle as a puller seems kinda odd. When i do mine i just wet the cotton and thread it thru the coil, pull it till it sticks and trim the ends off.

The cotton lasts about 2 days is all, but if the coil is good - dry burn it and thread another thru. The tip about coil orientation and airhole are fabulous, hence my o-ring query.

T

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
i'm back at work tomorrow - so i'll find it. Great tutorial btw super-X - the needle as a puller seems kinda odd. When i do mine i just wet the cotton and thread it thru the coil, pull it till it sticks and trim the ends off.

The cotton lasts about 2 days is all, but if the coil is good - dry burn it and thread another thru. The tip about coil orientation and airhole are fabulous, hence my o-ring query.

T

I hear ya, the cotton is easy to thread thru without any device to assist, but the needle trick is nifty. I never dry burn, just pull the old cotton out and thread in new. But then again, I use unflavored nic base. It does not gum up coils at all :).

Thank you bro - if yours are not aligned (I suspect most aren't) prepare to be amazed once they are. :)

Horselady154

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
United States
OMMFG, the difference when the airhole position is aligned so it is right in front of the coil is absolutely amazing. This is probably the single most important thing (aside from building a coil that doesn't short your REO) that you can do to put the vape from the RM2 into the stratosphere.

I'm running the RM2 on my grand. I haven't even reached for my VV grand, with a chalice on top since I corrected the airhole position Friday night - it's that significant. Game changer. Talk about a smooth, flavorful vape. Damn.

I would suggest that if you haven't aligned yours, DO IT NOW. Right NOW. Even if its vaping good, check it and correct it if its off.

DO IT. :)

I did it and man, were you ever right!!!! My juice tastes wonderful now!

fatherdano

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2012
ohio
Just a quick question from a noob who just got his first reo today and is thinking about ordering the RBA. You mentioned 30 gauge wire. Are there advantages/disadvantages to the different gauges?

(thanks for the great tutorial, by the way)

I've only used the 30 ga.
I've never had any issues, its easy enough to work with and for your wick cotton seems to rule the roost for simplicity and taste.

good luck, they are not hard to do. The reward is so worth it. Just read the tutorials and keep track by testing your builds with a tester.

The RM2 will open your eyes to an impressive vaping experience.

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Just a quick question from a noob who just got his first reo today and is thinking about ordering the RBA. You mentioned 30 gauge wire. Are there advantages/disadvantages to the different gauges?

(thanks for the great tutorial, by the way)

I have 32 gauge wire. I can make a 1.0 coil for my Grand and a 2.5 for my VV REO's. It allows me to have enough coils for a great vape.

When I started out I bought 100 ft of the 32. If I were to do it again I might go for the 30. I have used 30 and like it also.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Welcome, congrats & thank you. You are on the fast track to vaping excellence :)

I personally prefer the 30 because i find the thickness "just right". The higher the gauge, the thinner the wire. I tried 32 and found it to be too thin and springy for my needs. I like a coil that doesn't move much or deform easily. I also like the wire to hold its shape well.

Since I am happy with the performance of 30, I never felt a desire to go thicker, like 28.

Bottom line, it's all a matter of preference. 30 is right in the middle and for me it produces amazing results and provides a durable, easy to wrap coil. :)

Last edited:

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
To make the coil, I use a 4" piece of Kanthal A1 30 gauge wire. 4" is an easy length to work with, it gives you nice long tails.
Before we make the coil, were going to "torch" the wire by taking a bic lighter and running the flame down the entire length of wire until it glows red. then cool it by holding it under the faucet for a second. I torch and cool 3 times. I use a pair of hemostats to hold the wire during this process so i dont burn my fingers.

View attachment 205744

Already thanked you in a PM but want to do it in public. This lil' tool enabled me to make my 1st coil...TA DA!!!!!
thankssomuch.gif
It was never the winding of the wire that raised havoc with my arthritis but threading the wick. I had tried that needle threader gizmo but I ended up messing up the coil and stuff. The cotton fits in easy in the end which makes winding and threading done in one fell swoop. :thumbs:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Already thanked you in a PM but want to do it in public. This lil' tool enabled me to make my 1st coil...TA DA!!!!!
thankssomuch.gif
It was never the winding of the wire that raised havoc with my arthritis but threading the wick. I had tried that needle threader gizmo but I ended up messing up the coil and stuff. The cotton fits in easy in the end which makes winding and threading done in one fell swoop. :thumbs:

Youre welcome Gil :) I'm real glad that little trick helped ya! :)

wabbit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2011
Northern California
Bottom line, it's all a matter of preference. 30 is right in the middle and for me it produces amazing results and provides a durable, easy to wrap coil. :)

Just one more quick question: To make a 2.5 ohm coil, would 30 be the right choice? Most of the coils I've seen mentioned with 30 gauge wire seem to be lower resistance. Is there enough room for the number of coils required for a 2.5 with 30?

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Just one more quick question: To make a 2.5 ohm coil, would 30 be the right choice? Most of the coils I've seen mentioned with 30 gauge wire seem to be lower resistance. Is there enough room for the number of coils required for a 2.5 with 30?

I'm running a 2.3 ohm right now and it is about 18 wraps (I used a smaller needle for the mold). Using the 14 ga needle, it would probably be around 12 wraps. 30 works fine for me in either scenario. The safe bet would be to try with 30 and 32 to see which one you prefer :)
ugagepe9.jpg

I am amazed at how clean these setups stay. This was after being pounded all Mother's Day and night- looks like it was just wrapped and wicked :)

Last edited:

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
Welcome, congrats & thank you. You are on the fast track to vaping excellence :)

I personally prefer the 30 because i find the thickness "just right". The higher the gauge, the thinner the wire. I tried 32 and found it to be too thin and springy for my needs. I like a coil that doesn't move much or deform easily. I also like the wire to hold its shape well.

Since I am happy with the performance of 30, I never felt a desire to go thicker, like 28.

+1.... 32 a bit fragile and 28 too springy. 30 perfect and makes building LR much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread