Ron Johnson's reply to my email thanking him for his efforts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pineappledan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2011
Dartmouth
Thank you for contacting me about the regulations of e-cigarettes recently announced by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

One of the greatest costs to consumers and the economy comes when a regulation is so burdensome and overreaching that it threatens to wipe out an entire product or industry. The FDA’s decision to expand its own authority over e-cigarettes could threaten a whole class of businesses and the people who work at them, and it could harm public health by making it harder for consumers to buy products that serve as an alternative to smoking. The regulation forces e-cigarette manufacturers to complete prohibitively costly and time-consuming applications to sell e-cigarette products. As a result, many e-cigarette manufacturers—many of which are small businesses—could be forced to shut down.

As chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, which has broad jurisdiction over federal agencies’ operations, I am committed to holding the FDA accountable. I have sent multiple requests for information about the FDA’s e-cigarette regulation so the committee and the American public may fully understand the FDA’s rulemaking and its consequences for small businesses and the public’s health. As of July 15, 2016, the agency’s responses have been inadequate.

I asked the FDA how many e-cigarette businesses it expects will be affected by the rule. The FDA gave an inadequate response that lacked the necessary details. The FDA said it did not possess some important information about the economic effects of the rule, writing that ‘[t]he baseline number of manufacturers and importers of [e-cigarette] products is uncertain.’ Without such basic information, it is impossible for the agency to weigh costs and benefits as it is required to do.

I will continue to fight on behalf of Wisconsinites and the American people in order to get complete answers from the FDA and to ensure that the agency remains transparent in its rulemaking.

Sincerely,

Ron Johnson
United States Senator

Generic, I know, but a nice effort. I'm sure others will be getting this
D3thJQSKpArQ7cMKOzd_K0uCxQkrP4eLwcCMu6bAn9lizHozjRrMMZ6L3__tjg0D5PL1BjRnF4rUWzErLTIGcARSkyyTrk60tjQ02QABPoVwe8gVaKFmJYgnfK5_iYJ_fc1-VviLyiBnUkIdJEwlgciHBgUyorN_Vje8C5nHZHeq=s0-d-e1-ft

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
As chairman of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, which has broad jurisdiction over federal agencies’ operations, I am committed to holding the FDA accountable.

Well, Ronnie-boy... having "jurisdiction" over the FDA one could argue you're accountable. Why haven't you subpoenaed anyone yet? (hint: no testicles).

, I know, but a nice effort. I'm sure others will be getting this

Johnson is just another political, partisan, chest-thumping loon. I actually believe his antics do more harm than good. His useless bravado with the FDA has given too many false hope and is misleading.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
"The FDA gave an inadequate response that lacked the necessary details. The FDA said it did not possess some important information about the economic effects of the rule"

They don't have enough information on impact on anything or economic effects or anything having to do with truth. They do this but they have no idea how many people they are putting out of business , or how many people will do without their smoking cessation device. And these guys get paid for this? They remind me of a bunch of bumbling idiots.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
@seminolewind They remind me of a bunch of bumbling idiots.
That may be the case but if so they are bumbling idiots with the money and power to decimate the vape industry. :(

It is going to take an act of congress to shoot these deeming regs down. Hopefully Sen. Johnson is following up his letters to the FDA with talking to his fellow Senators about what these regs mean to their constituents. If he isn't then all the letters in the world aren't going to amount to any thing more than chest thumping.

I have written to him and expressed my gratitude for what he says he is trying to do. I do hope his concern is more than just a political ploy. Time and action will tell. I am keeping an eye on him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread