Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So today I was putting magnets in a box I'm building and somehow I got the 2 of the magnets mixed up and they are opposing (opposite corners). Epoxy is set up so my question is, does anybody know of a way to get the magnets out without screwing up the box?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a Tough one. What is the mod made out of?

I seen/used products that will Dissolve cured Epoxy Resins. Such as this...

Amazon.com: Attack Epoxy Resin Glue Remover

Big Time Warning though about wearing Nitrile Gloves and Eye Protection in a Ventilated Area. And also a Big Time Warning about using this around "Plastics".

Last edited:

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
That's a Tough one. What is the mod made out of?

I seen/used products that will Dissolve cured Epoxy Resins. Such as this...

Amazon.com: Attack Epoxy Resin Glue Remover

Big Time Warning though about wearing Gloves and Eye Protection in a Ventilated Area. And also a Big Time Warning about using this around "Plastics".

It's an AlpineTech CNC aluminum box. I thought about drilling it but don't think it's gonna be easy getting the bit dead center. I'll look into that stuff. Thanks.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It's an AlpineTech CNC aluminum box. I thought about drilling it but don't think it's gonna be easy getting the bit dead center. I'll look into that stuff. Thanks.

Drilling it or End Milling it out would be kinda a Last Resort for me. Cause there is a Good Chance that the Epoxy Bond could break while you do it. And that could cause the Magnet to Break (if it doesn't Break Anyway) and to Tear Up the Magnet Hole.

I'd do some Research on the Chemical route before I'd attack it Physically.

Also, if you do use a Chemical to dissolve the Epoxy bond, I would put a Small Drop of whatever you decide to use on the Aluminum in an out of the way place. Some Acids could Discolor Aluminum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wheelin247

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Drilling it or End Milling it out would be kinda a Last Resort for me. Cause there is a Good Chance that the Epoxy Bond could break while you do it. And that could cause the Magnet to Break (if it doesn't Break Anyway) and to Tear Up the Magnet Hole.

I'd do some Research on the Chemical route before I'd attack it Physically.

Also, if you do use Chemical to dissolve the Epoxy bond, I would put a Small Drop of whatever you decide to use on the Aluminum in an out of the way place. Some Acids could Discolor Aluminum.

Will do. I appreciate the info.

Reactions: zoiDman

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Take a small screw driver and center punch the magnet.... it should shatter..... then pick the debris out with the screw driver.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Have done that on one a friend did a while with no luck. The center punch I used was one of those center punches you can get from Harbor Freight with a spring inside so all you have to do is push down on it and it will make a indention. I'll try a real center punch and a hammer and see if it works.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Have done that on one a friend did a while with no luck. The center punch I used was one of those center punches you can get from Harbor Freight with a spring inside so all you have to do is push down on it and it will make a indention. I'll try a real center punch and a hammer and see if it works.

Little precision flat screw driver blade might work better that a round center punch. Your trying to break or cut something not mark it.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Little precision flat screw driver blade might work better that a round center punch. Your trying to break or cut something not mark it.

What I was thinking about is making the center of it then drill it out.

Are you saying to use a flathead screwdriver and hit it with a hammer onto the magnet trying to break it? If I do break it, how do I go about getting the small pieces out that are epoxied in?

Reactions: 93gc40

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I might try the freezer or a soldering iron tip placed on the magnet.
Take advantage of the dissimilar metals heating/cooling differences.

Cheers
I

I'll try the soldering iron first. If that doesn't work I'll put it in the freezer and see what happens.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
What I was thinking about is making the center of it then drill it out.

Are you saying to use a flathead screwdriver and hit it with a hammer onto the magnet trying to break it? If I do break it, how do I go about getting the small pieces out that are epoxied in?

The same small screwdriver... Used as a pick/chisel.

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I've done the same a few times but I usually used superglue to install the magnets. If the wood is thick then a soldering iron and a drop of solder can heat the magnet and loosen it enough to pull out. If the wood is thin and high heat would be a problem, I would use a small drill bit and hammer to punch the center and pick out the pieces as mentioned above. Good luck!

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I've done the same a few times but I usually used superglue to install the magnets. If the wood is thick then a soldering iron and a drop of solder can heat the magnet and loosen it enough to pull out. If the wood is thin and high heat would be a problem, I would use a small drill bit and hammer to punch the center and pick out the pieces as mentioned above. Good luck!

I don't know what your talking about when you mentioned wood. The box is CNC milled aluminum. I'm gonna try the hot iron first. I also have a heat gun but don't know if that will get hot enough to loosen the epoxy. If the iron doesn't work I'm gonna see about hitting it with a center punch and if that doesn't work I'll go to the screwdriver and see what happens. Thanks for y'all input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread