Status
Not open for further replies.

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
I believe the strand count would be the difference. Erring on the side of caution is always a good thing me thinks. In any case, not wishing to make things more complicated for you, just tossing out a little fruit for thought and to ward off the scurvy of course. Arrr...:)

Last edited:

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
How much though, I already feel there is too much at even 10 amps. It only takes 15 amps to run my CNC machine.

You might be surprised. Seems like most of the review videos I watch now have people building regularly under .3 ohms. Hell a lot of them build somewhere between .1 and .2 it seems. And that is on non temp controlled frequently on mech or un regulated boxes.

Waho

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Michigan
My "normal" builds are around 0.35 ohms for my regular juices, a few juices I add an extra wrap to get closer to 0.40 ohms. If I come down with a sore throat or early in the morning I grab my Cutlass with a Cyclone at 1.5 ohms at 5 volts to warm up my throat for the day.

Trends seems to point to lower and lower resistance with big air attys on mechs and new high power regulated devices as fright said. My 0.35 is pretty "mild" compared to a lot of what I see people are building.

I threw my old favorite 1.2 ohm coil into a kayfun on my Provari at 4.5 volts a few weeks ago for old times sake. Crazy how tastes change so fast.

Reactions: supertrunker

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I have been keeping track of trends and I am aware of what people are doing, but, I think that the sub-ohm trend has gone a step too far, several steps even. Perhaps people are just not aware of the potential hazards that they are embracing (next to their faces).

If it means I lose sales and customers because I don't support the crazy high amps that some people want.... well...at least I don't have much of a risk of someone posting a youtube video showing the damage a RSM mod caused when their battery went into nuke mode or the wiring melted and someone got burned, etc. I like being able to sleep at night.

Yup, typing this has made me think more clearly ... I will continue making the Cruisers as I have done before. Reasonable amps for reasonable vapers. Plenty of other places to go if you want to see what 500 watts of power does to liquid.

Have a great weekend all,

arrrr

LJFinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
SW Florida
While I agree that there is more of a shift to the side of sub ohm builds and more wattage. I still think that this is a small niche compared to the overall amount of people vaping. I do enjoy the sub tanks that are out now and they have become a part of my rotation using .5 coils. For me I enjoy building my own coils on my kayfuns and russians between 1.2 & 1.4 ohms. I have a couple of drippers that I build on as well when I want to blow some clouds but I not inclined to go under .5 ohms. I also enjoy the safety of regulated mods. I do have some mech mods but rarely use them.

Cappy I think that what ever you make you will have a loyal following. Arrrr

Reactions: Capt' Brian

Capt' Brian

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yeah, I think so too. People who know about RSM mods kinda know what I make and don't make. I will try to adapt to the current market as I've always done, but there is a limit. Sometimes that limit is my skill in making mods, sometimes for other reasons.

I'll just keep trying to make the classy Rolls-Royce mods for that mindset of pirates and let others make the cheaper zippy ones, 'bout all I can do.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
It is not the case that a mod capable of putting out 200W is necessarily dangerous. Evolve even have a 200W DNA board, with all the usual temperature control abilities.

The issue with severe sub-Ohm vaping mechanical mods is that you need a lot of raw power (by which i mean batteries) to run and at a point above about 8A - you really need mechanical switches because bought ones cannot handle the power and the arcing.
Which is the reason FETs are used as DC switches.

T

fright88

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2011
Loveland CO
heh I believe the trends are getting a little crazy as well. Hell I have never built below .7 except in my temp regulated builds. And I will never understand why anyone would want to go above 30 watts either but then again I use to say the same thing about 20 watts but here I sit with my destroyer at 500 degrees and 25 watts and the cutlass at 480 and 40 lol.

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
My normal build range is between 0.4 -1.4 ( except when using a TC device) depending on the flavor a particular liquid delivers, the atty being used, the device being used to fire it , or even sometimes the mood. With that being said, my remark was that I'd love to have a Cruiser that can handle a bit more power. It was never meant to stir debate nor was it an attempt to turn Cappy's beautiful creations into super sub ohm devices but merely a wish to enjoy a bit more versatility with the builds. If the Cruisers remain exactly as they are, will it sway my decision to acquire my 3rd? Oh hell no!...:)

Just for the record, this is the very first device that I grab from the rack every single morning that I am home in which to relax and enjoy my favorite Cinnamon Danish juice along with the morning cup. ( My morning ritual) It's built with dual twisted 2mm 28's to 0.7 ohms ...;)

Fk1mwG5.jpg

Last edited:

LJFinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
SW Florida
My normal build range is between 0.4 -1.4 ( except when using a TC device) depending on the flavor a particular liquid delivers, the atty being used, the device being used to fire it , or even sometimes the mood. With that being said, my remark was that I'd love to have a Cruiser that can handle a bit more power. It was never meant to stir debate nor was it an attempt to turn Cappy's beautiful creations into super sub ohm devices but merely a wish to enjoy a bit more versatility with the builds. If the Cruisers remain exactly as they are, will it sway my decision to acquire my 3rd? Oh hell no!...:)

Just for the record, this is the very first device that I grab from the rack every single morning that I am home in which to relax and enjoy my favorite Cinnamon Danish juice along with the morning cup. ( My morning ritual) It's built with dual twisted 2mm 28's to 0.7 ohms ...;)

Fk1mwG5.jpg

I don't think that you meant bad ill either. And I certainly don't knock those who super sub ohm as well. I think that it's great that we can discuss vaping ideas on this forum without any malice or discontent. I'm always looking to learn something new.
For me what started out as getting off cigs has turned into a wonderful hobby.
From cigalikes to building my own mods the journey has been great. :D

LJFinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
SW Florida
It is not the case that a mod capable of putting out 200W is necessarily dangerous. Evolve even have a 200W DNA board, with all the usual temperature control abilities.

The issue with severe sub-Ohm vaping mechanical mods is that you need a lot of raw power (by which i mean batteries) to run and at a point above about 8A - you really need mechanical switches because bought ones cannot handle the power and the arcing.
Which is the reason FETs are used as DC switches.

T

I agree with you T.

But I think one problem we face as vapers is image. Again I'm not knocking super sub ohming, but the image of these massive clouds being blown are a plus for the "anti vaping-smoking" people as well as reports of devices "blowing up". I think that we need to have more education of both the safety and dangers involved in vaping to both newbies and veteran vapers alike.

Devices are being pumped out IMO, with reckless speed and haste. I mean just look at the number of Companys there are today. And even those that have been in the business for years have been pushing out products that are not up to snuff.
It reminds me of the computer wars 20 years ago when they were pumping out a new and more powerful system every week.

I think it's great that vaping is advancing but the industry needs to throttle it back just a little. Just my :2c:

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
In relation to the safety, just about every regulated mod on the market today has more safety features built into them than i ever thought were necessary. Which is why apart from a few DNA20 Red Sky's, i mostly vape mechanical mods. HRH likes the Cruisers - no reverse polarity protection, no short circuit protection....

A few years ago, when HRH and i decided to use e-cigs to stop smoking, i bought her an EVIC. At the time it was one of the first in America and she liked all the menu displays and the ability to hook it up to a computer and so on.
I disliked it from the second i tried it. It turned off after 5 seconds of an inhale 'safety shutoff'.

I am right now vaping the same coils i've had for 2 weeks - i expect them to last a month. Dual Claptons at 0.3Ω. That's my ADV. That's about 58W.

T

LJFinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2014
SW Florida
I do like the temp control on my Destroyer although I'm still trying to get the hang of it. Although sometimes it's a great vape, and sometimes, not so good.
I guess with the new tech there is a lot of adjusting and variables involved. I do think that we're heading in the right direction though.

I just started to build clapton coils but I really don't have enough power to run them correctly. The most wattage any of my regulated devices put out is 40 watts and it doesn't seem to have enough umph. I am awaiting to see how the DNA200 does, even though I know that I don't need that much power, plus I'm waiting for Evolv to work out all the bugs. Didn't really care for the way they rolled out the DNA40.:nah:

@distortoblotto I couldn't agree more with you about Cappys Mods. They are the ones I use the most and the ones I get the most complements on. I mean really who doesn't want to vape in Style and Class!!! :D:thumbs:

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
Not posting this as a means to show off , but merely posting it to illustrate the versatility in which I choose to vape . ( That and to Thank Cappy once again for his beautiful caddies.)

Ultimately, it's up to the end user whether they choose to follow the proper safe guidelines or not. Freedom of choice does carry it's limits.

High end, low end or anywhere in between, there is something to be said of enjoying a unit that is created and fueled by the creators passions. We all know that Cappy's creations certainly qualify for that.

5eWlvqQ.jpg

Last edited:

LittleBird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 7, 2014
East Coast, USA
Not posting this as a means to show off , but merely posting it to illustrate the versatility in which I choose to vape . ( That and to Thank Cappy once again for his beautiful caddies.)

Ultimately, it's up to the end user whether they choose to follow the proper safe guidelines or not. Freedom of choice does carry it's limits.

High end, low end or anywhere in between, there is something to be said of enjoying a unit that is created and fueled by the creators passions. We all know that Cappy's creations certainly qualify for that.

5eWlvqQ.jpg
I have a VERY long way to go, db :)

My purchase decisions seem to be based on the mod maker's passion for his/her craft, the beauty of the finished product, and recommendations of the handful of vapers I trust absolutely. Cappy's mods meet all three criteria! :)

PS and BTW, the inlay in that RSM is beautiful!

Last edited:

damselle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 29, 2012
New England

5eWlvqQ.jpg

My goodness! Thanks for this. I no longer feel guilty about my vape spending. Just last night I was counting my Woodmods. I lost count at 19. Four of those are RSM's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread