RSST Rebuildable Atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
FWIW, Re. NETs & mesh wicks:- I vape pretty much 100% NETs, diy ones which are MUCH gunkier than the squeaky-clean Hangsens. It was always a fight for Me to find a way of wicking that did n't clog up quickly.....I ended up using mesh as I can just pull the wicks, burn 'em clean, dry burn the coils, re-insert the wicks & off again. Same coils & wicks in one of My Little 16 clones (squonking) since October..

OK. DIY NET's then, that DIY part I missed, forgot about it as I assumed that all NET's were created equal. My Bad, as they say. So mesh doesn't run differently than other wicking does but, it can be cleaned and reused time after time. Good to know, Thanks yourgurnard.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I went down stairs to my Vape Den with the thought of opening up that air hole on my RSST even more, so, as I normally do, I measured the air hole first and got a 1.20mm reading on my set of SS Dial calipers (I thought I had read 1.25mm before, but guess I read it wrong). I opened it up to 1.3/1.32mm and liked that pretty good, cleaned the top cap up and filled the tank. It does vape a bit differently now, as with a 1.2mm air hole I was running at 9 to 9.5 watts (10 watts and I would start getting an Off taste) with my 32g Twisted Kanthal 4/3 wrap build, with 325 SS mesh and my 3% Hangsen's Arabic HS NET 50/50 mix. Now I'm finding that I need to run the same build/juice at 10-10.5 watts (11 watts and I start getting that same Off taste). Weird, I opened the air hole up from 1.2mm to 1.3-1.32mm and I can now run it 1 watt hotter for a better flavor. Surprising how a 0.12mm increase in air flow makes that much difference. Oh well, I'm liking my RSST even better now. I might even go to KidneyPuncher and purchase those extra caps with different sized air holes that they offer, 1/16th and 5/64th = 1.58mm and 1.98mm respectively, and they offer caps with even bigger air holes for purchase, but ya'll prolly already know that, as I'm late to this party so to speak, but the fact that they are still selling them surprised me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taff Evans

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I was experimenting and decided to take a wrap out of my build, so now I have a 3/2 wrap of 32g Twisted kanthal build and my resistance went down from 1.3xΩ to 1.05Ω on my Presa TC 100w. I went to Steam-engine first to see what I might be looking at with minus 1 wrap, and it said 1.05Ω. Nailed It ! I think that I like it better so far (flavor that is), this Arabic NET tobacco has always been real sensitive as far as wattage (and seems to be the number of wraps, but the resistance is not so much) for me to get the most flavor out of it, whether I'm doing a .75% mix or a 3.5% mix, and everything in between. This Arabic is strong stuff, but doesn't seem to like my regular cotton/Rayon builds as much as this mesh wicking. I have found that If not careful I will just up and lose all flavor of the Arabic, but using mesh I seem to have a little more Leeway.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Brought out 1 of my old genny's and put into rotation and its very nice vape.
Anyways as i never did buy a torch back then to season ss mesh, i still used the stove top method and it was fine this time around .
Also i learned from poster back then to cut bottom of mesh wick at 45 degree angle with the hollow wick as it give a little larger area for juice flow in a hollow wick.

Here some older pictures dated from 5 years back.

i put into tank to see for fit, bottom of wick cut at angle because of angle cut not much touches bottom if seasoned good no hot spots. If i recall right the bottom picture had no angle cut as i was comparing, dont ask
comparison as i dont recall what i ate yesterday !
full

full

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
:lol: Ha Ha, I see that we are in the same club, just different chapters maybe. Thanks for you're post, and I'll remember the angle cut, for sure. I'm experimenting with the "Fan Cut Method" on the bottom of my wicks to get more surface area ATM, but will try you're method also. Thanks for that Dieseler.

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mesh suits tobacco/tobacco flavours beautifully!
This is probably sacrilege in this Gennie section..... but I've pretty much gone over to squonking now, with My Kraken/Origenny etc. getting a bit dusty!!
Still using mesh wicks tho'!

Hey, vaping is vaping, that's how I see it, so "No Harm, No Foul" as they say, anyways, the longer I'm on a thread, the more of a chance I'll do the same thing.:blush:

I didn't know that about tobacco's and mesh, Thanks for that. I'm starting to think that it's me though, with my finicky come and go flavor with my Arabic Tobacco NET. The reason I say that, is that I have been off of tobacco for a little over 2 years, but was using tobacco for a little over 52 years, and wonder if my Olfactory senses are off again on again, and that's what I am experiencing, my sense of taste and smell hasn't fully come back. Who knows. I'll figure out a way to deal with it. I had my setup really tasting Fantastic last night when I turned it off to go to bed, I got up this morning and turned it on, and YUCK, I had changed nothing at all, but, YUCK, Nasty :(! Maybe it is me and not my settings. How do I rewire my mouth ?;)

Last edited:

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Hey, vaping is vaping, that's how I see it, so "No Harm, No Foul" as they say, anyways, the longer I'm on a thread, the more of a chance I'll do the same thing.:blush:

I didn't know that about tobacco's and mesh, Thanks for that. I'm starting to think that it's me though, with my finicky come and go flavor with my Arabic Tobacco NET. The reason I say that, is that I have been off of tobacco for a little over 2 years, but was using tobacco for a little over 52 years, and wonder if my Olfactory senses are off again on again, and that's what I am experiencing, my sense of taste and smell hasn't fully come back. Who knows. I'll figure out a way to deal with it. I had my setup really tasting Fantastic last night when I turned it off to go to bed, I got up this morning and turned it on, and YUCK, I had changed nothing at all, but, YUCK, Nasty :(! Maybe it is me and not my settings. How do I rewire my mouth ?;)

I've done the same thing a lot of times.......had the best tasting vape when I went to bed and in the morning it irritates my throat and tastes terrible...

Reactions: 52anddone

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
I've done the same thing a lot of times.......had the best tasting vape when I went to bed and in the morning it irritates my throat and tastes terrible...

It's good to know that I'm not "The Lone Ranger" in this. I was thinking my vape was good, and it was me that sucked;), oh wait...

Reactions: thetrucker

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Out of curiosity, I just cleaned one of my mesh wicks under tap water (just held the whole wick under the tap and let water flow from Top to Bottom, then from Bottom to Top). That OK ?, or should I have pulled it apart first, then ran water over it ? That wick was one I was experimenting with, with several fan cuts vertically up the wick from the Bottom, and looked too Purrty to unroll.
P1010209 (Custom)ecf.JPG
P1010210 (Custom)ecf.JPG
P1010211 (Custom)ecf.JPG
P1010212 (Custom)ecf.JPG
P1010213 (Custom)ecf.JPG
This one has slits cut vertically up the wick 2-4mm, I have another mesh wick in my RSST right now that has slits cut up from the Bottom about 7-8mm in length, but am experimenting on the best way in cleaning them out so when dry I can put it back into rotation, that way I can just re-wrap said wick with new/different wire, I started out using 32g double twisted Kanthal but am now using 30g single Kanthal (both are wrapped at 3/2) and getting about 0.96Ω and running in the area of 9.5 watts in Power Mode, haven't tried Temp yet with my HohmTech devices yet, as I want to get this dialed in in Power mode first.

Last edited:
Reactions: thetrucker

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
Out of curiosity, I just cleaned one of my mesh wicks under tap water (just held the whole wick under the tap and let water flow from Top to Bottom, then from Bottom to Top). That OK ?, or should I have pulled it apart first, then ran water over it ? That wick was one I was experimenting with, with several fan cuts vertically up the wick from the Bottom, and looked too Purrty to unroll.
View attachment 641681
View attachment 641683
View attachment 641685
View attachment 641687
View attachment 641689
This one has slits cut vertically up the wick 2-4mm, I have another mesh wick in my RSST right now that has slits cut up from the Bottom about 7-8mm in length, but am experimenting on the best way in cleaning them out so when dry I can put it back into rotation, that way I can just re-wrap said wick with new/different wire, I started out using 32g double twisted Kanthal but am now using 30g single Kanthal (both are wrapped at 3/2) and getting 0.96Ω and running in the area of 9.5 watts in Power Mode, haven't tried Temp yet with my HohmTech devices, as I want to get this dialed in in Power mode first.

I take my wick and torch it with my little butane torch.....and that seems to clean it up pretty good and when it's cool I put it back down into

the coil.........that way I don't have to wait until it's dry to use it again..........lol..............pulling the wick in and out sometimes deforms

the coil.......28 guage and lighter does not stand up to abuse very well.......lol.......I use cotton most of the time because I can remove

it from the coil and put another back in with out too much damage to the coil shape............but making a new coil and changing the mesh

wick is part of the fun........................I would not unroll the mesh wick...........I would do as you did.....leave it rolled up

and just wash it or torch it.........your choice.................

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Ya know, this Genny is like, well.... I sit down, kick my feet up, and relax with my favorite pipe (back in the day that is), and life is Good. Boy Howdy, I'm glad I decided to look into this RSST Genesis Atomizer. I have a foot in 2 different Vape worlds each day, (1) with my Digiflavor Siren 25mm and my Menthol mix running in Kanthal Temp Control on my HohmTech Slice, and (1) with my Smok RSST Genesis and my Arabic Tobacco mix running in Power Mode on my Presa TC 100. Life is truly Good !!:thumbs:

Last edited:

52anddone

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
but making a new coil and changing the mesh

wick is part of the fun........................I would not unroll the mesh wick...........I would do as you did.....leave it rolled up

and just wash it or torch it.........your choice.................

Since I am using either 32g Twisted, or, 30g single Kanthal (at the moment), I do change/need to change, the coil when I pull the mesh wick for cleaning, and just thought I'd ask to make sure my way was an acceptable way of doing it, so Thanks Trucker :thumb:. I have so much wire, that I have all of it (26g single up thru 32g Quad Twisted Kanthal, Plus some 28g NiCr) in one of those Large plastic storage bins (the next size down from the ones you put blankets in and slide under the bed). I also have 8.5"x11" sheets of 350 and 400 SS 316L mesh, plus, 3"x4" sheets of 325 and 450 SS 316L mesh that I'm gonna experiment with a little. Some of that was bought for my Fev 3 & 4, which use short mesh straws to feed the KGD or Rayon wicking that's in the coil (the juice kind of drips down thru the mesh and feeds the regular wick tails). Smoking was Never so much Fun !!

Last edited:

thetrucker

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2014
Syracuse,NY
I tried you're Angle cut, just like you showed in the pic Trucker, seems to be working pretty good for me. Thanks for that. :thumb:

I seen a video on youtube quite awhile back and I think it was Rip Trippers and he had a different approach to the mesh wick idea..........

He took his mesh wick after rolling it up and torching it ............and he swipes it back and forth on a piece of cotton ball............what this does is it picks up

little shards of cotton and coats the out side of the mesh wick with a little layer of cotton..........he claimed it held the e-liquid a little better and seemed to work

good. Just something else to try and a lot of fun fooling around with the

equipment................I stopped to a hardware store awhile back and picked up a short 6

inch length of Stainless Cable and tried that and that worked good too....I get a big charge

out of this hobby and then explaining to non vapers......just what I'm doing with all this

stuff................fun.......................

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread