Rta builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex arnott

Dec 31, 2015
Hi people need some advice. I've got 3 rtas and 4 rtas and no matter what build I put in it always hisses for a few seconds after. It hasn't dry hit yet or nothing it's just givinge the hump now lol. I've tried all different builds with kanthal I've tried loads of different wicking methods. Everything is tight all the wires and posts. Ive tried it on a few different mods aswel. Snow Wolf, rx200, sigelei 150 cubis 150 and nothing changes. Has anyone got any idea what's going on here. Seems to be vaping okish just hissing makes me not wanna take a longer pull incase it does burn

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
All the hissing is, is the juice continuing to vaporize after you release the fire button while the coil is cooling down. This will be extremely typical for sub ohm builds... If you build something with a higher resistance you will notice the hissing disappear..if you follow steam engine... And look to the right it gives a recommended wattage for an average vape (depicted by green icon) just adjust the watts in the engine and you will be safe from dry hits as long as it is green or blue.

daveid777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Baltimore, MD
What gauge wire are you using? I've found that anything thicker than 30g takes quite some time to heat up, and conversely cool down. What I do is just release the button while still inhaling. The only build I have that just keeps on vaporizing is the dual 26g parallel build in my velocity clone running at 75w. No matter how soon I let up on the button it keeps going for a few seconds after I put it down. I just gently blow some air in to cool it off.

Reactions: zoiDman

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
yea so you have a lot of heat going through those micro coils.... a 1.5mm inner diameter coil.... its only rated to go up to maybe 42 watts max before you will start having massive burnt hits.... this is where your hissing is coming from... perhaps try building a bigger diameter coil...like say a Dual 9 wrap with a 3mm inner diameter which will net you a .4 ohm build. That will allow you to go up to 72 watts or so and more surface area. Might reduce your hissing as well.

Clydde26

Jan 20, 2016
Hopkinsville
upload_2016-1-21_9-41-28.png

thats what i am showing for your 9 wraps

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ok thank you. Just got the vcmt 30mm and I just can't stop the hissing no matter what build or Wattage I pump through it

As Clydde26 mentioned, it takes an Amount of time for a Coil to Heat Up. But it also takes an Amount of Time for the coild to Cool down.

Anyone who has used an Electric Stove knows that when you Turn Off a Burner, it can take awhile for the Burner to Cool Down. Same with Atomizer Coils made from Thicker Wire.

If you want to keep the Same Gauge and Build on your Coils, just let off on the Power Button about a Second before you stop Inhaling. This will stop the Hiss.

dolladave

Jul 9, 2014
USA
Not a dual coil of kanthal 24ga
That's exactly what I said to myself lol! I have the 25mm VCMT and I build on it all the time. I do 3mm dual coils. 5 or 6 wraps 24awg kanthal depending on the mood and I'm between .25 and .29 everytime...

Alex, make sure you've got you a 3mm bit or coil wrapping tool and wrap them 6 times with your 24awg kanthal and install. You'll be extremely happy with it. Run it between 55-70 watts depending on your heat preference. Once you let off the button, continue to suck for a brief second to draw some cool air over the coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread