rx200 and coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

claireus

May 22, 2016
Hey everyone im upgrading from my subox Nano to a RX200 as I really want to get into coil building, im just wondering can anyone tell me what wire for coils would be best? Plus specs of the wire as im not too sure about it and all the videos ive seen have confused me a little bit lol also I should say that im only wanting to build single coils at the moment, oh also I know the RX200 is TC as well as VW but with the wires am I able to use them mainly on VW? Sorry about being such a noob about it but I guess we all start somewhere right?! Lol thanks all :)

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
4 popular types of wires

Kanthal - only in vv/vw mode
stainless steel - both modes
ni200 - temperature only
ti - temp only (?) not sure I've never used this

If you're just starting out I would suggest some 24, 26, or 28 gauge Kanthal A1 wires.

If you want to jump straight into TC then I would suggest some stainless steel wires, I use SS316L.

As for your target resistance. Google steam engine coil wrap for the calculator.

Basically there are 2 factors for resistance. Distance (length of total wire: your inner diameter, how many wraps) & wire thickness (higher the gauge, thinner the wire, the more resistance it provides compared to thicker wires).

I personally prefer 24 gauge for high power builds and 26 gauge for low power builds. I rarely go thinner than 26.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I mainly build higher ohm coils, .8-1.2ohms, so my mainstay is 26ga Kanthal. But I'm venturing into the TC world and have a spool of 22ga 316lSS that I'm trying to play with some.
I'd suggest you look at the coil master V3 coil winding kit, wish I'd had one years ago! Watch the youtube vids on it, once you get the little tricks, it's fantastic! It can be had for around $8-12 plus shipping and IMO is worth every penny! It makes winding coils foolproof!
Next you need to figure out what atty you want to run on it, or atties, then watch some vids on those particular atties, that will help ease the confusion a lot! I can link you to vids all day long, but until you know what you want to build for, it's all meaningless, to both of us!
So figure out what you want to use on it, figure out how you want to run it, TC, VW, VV, and how much power you think want to throw at it, then we can help more.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
Thanks guys! :) i think il probably go with the SS then lol and the RDA Im buying is a velocity Im hoping it will work properly on the RX200 lol I did read somewhere that you can use clapton coils are they worth it? Will they work for? Sorry guys im such a noob lol

I've purchased pre-wrapped kanthal claptons 32/26, found them to be the similar to regular 24gauge kanthals. I don't plan on wrapping my own so to me the prewrapped ones probably not worth it, give it a try yourself if you want, they seem to be priced reasonably.

If you're going to be building on the velocity RDA and have the RX200 as your mod then I would recommend 24 gauge SS or Kanthal. for me 26 is a bit thin for RDA usage but thats just my opinion.

claireus

May 22, 2016
Thanks alot :) I only ask about the clapton as my partner wanted some pre made coils and found some claptons thing is hough the guy said the ohm resistance of them are like 0.40, 0.50, 0.80 and 0.85 which of course im not 100% sure if they are safe to use with those readings as the resistance range for the RX200 in VW mode is 0.1 - 3.5 and I TC mode its 0.05 -1.5 again really sorry for being a noob lol

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
So do you think they will be ok to use for the mod? Sorry you must be thinking what a pain I am and what not lol

Yes, most regulated mods these days can handle virtually any kind of builds. Its just a matter of whether or not you have enough power. With the RX200 thats a non-issue.

Thats what the forums here for, to answer questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread