Sabot DDD for the Billet Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
OK, finally got off my .... and opened a new thread. (Coop folks come on in)

Here is the original thread where basically most of this started life as the Condor rba by Big Screen D. From there it got kicked up to a entirely new level by ScubaBatDan and his awesome metal lathe. Was such an improvement from our back yard cobbled together parts, it needed a new name, the Sabot DDD.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-evod-head-prototype-mod-billet-box-only.html

We were able to take this from idea, to prototype (and there were many) to custom coop where 100 Sabot DDDs were made for the great folks in the Billet Box thread.

Anyway, thought this might be a good place to keep information specific to the Sabot DDD such as tips & tricks and any new modifications.

Well, as long as I have access to edit this post, will put the videos and stuff here.

Setting up the Sabot DDD atomizer for the BB:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4UOuUbUtEc#t=186

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Only thing that could make this whole adventure better is if we can cajole Scubabatdan into becoming a supplier of SADOT-DDD's along with the other cool gear he has, and will come up with.

First to vote yes for the Scuba Shop!

I'm going to have to agree with Mr. D. on this one. The Sabot is a winner, and I'd easily buy at least two more.

Silverdove

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Il, USA
Nice new Thread. Thanks Drunk_J. Now we have a place to keep open for any info, problems and how people set up the Sabot-DDD.
I for one will be interested in how many strands of yarn and how it effects the draw and so forth. Also any info on the air control never had anything with it. So am unsure how it works, and what the air flow effects.

ThreeDJ16

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
USA
Good time to discuss the use of Sugar and Cream cotton yarn for replacing the ARO head silica flavor wicks (the additional wick on top of the coil). It is going to depend on the PG/VG ratio ejuice you use. For 50/50 and thicker, might want to try two strands. And by strands I do not mean two pieces of solid yarn. When you cut a small piece of the yarn, you will notice it is comprised of 4 strands. Those are the strands I am talking about. Usually what I do is just separate out two and two. Save two for the next time and use two on top of the coil. If three are required (if you get gurgling or flooding) then just use one more and save the last one for next time. Really, that 7 ft of yarn I sent everyone, could potentially last a long, long time since only a tiny bit is needed. Anyway, just as a reminder, all that yarn has already been sterilized and ready for use. If you buy new yarn, it is highly recommended that you boil it before use. No telling what sort of nasty things it has encountered either during manufacturing or after it got in the stores. Plus it helps neutralize the flavor and rinse any chemicals which may have been used.

If you do want more, Michaels Craft Store sells it or you can buy it online at places like Amazon. You will probably pay about 3 or 4 times as much for it though. Also, Wal-Mart sells a similar yarn called Peaches and Cream. I have not tried it, so cannot attest to it. But either way, stick to white or natural.

Forgot to mention placement of the replacement flavor wicks. Ensure they are sitting right on top of the coil and don't slide down beside the coil or it could restrict airflow. Once they are placed correctly, the cup on the sabot should hold them in place. Trim them even with the silica wicks running through the coils.

Also just a reminder to please wash those Sabots before use. I have no idea what was used to clean them when they got manufactured.

Last edited:

Big Screen D

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2011
Georgia
About the AFC (air flow control).

When screwed clockwise till it sits against the atty base, that is the wide open position.

Unscrewing it toward the body of the Billet Box begins to restrict air flow, and will cut it off almost completely if it touches against the orange silicone gasket that surrounds the Billet Box positive connection. Want to stress that the gasket must be in place if the user wants to use the AFC in anything other than the open position. Failure to do so will result in a hard short!

The air flow is restricted by the AFC rings relation to the orange gasket. There is little change in restriction until the ring gets very close to the gasket. A eyeglass flat head screwdriver or similar implement can be used through the BB tank opening to adjust on the fly if one is so inclined. I plan on removing part of the tank tab on mine to ease access.

The AFC, because of it's placement ahead of the wicks also acts as a juice flow adjustment. The more the draw is restricted, the more juice is pulled into the atty chamber when vaped. The design is optimized to work with stock ARO heads and wick with the AFC in the open position. If the draw is restricted, more wick is usually needed to prevent flooding. Some user trial and error is in order here since vaping style, juice viscosity, voltage, and even tank airtightness come into play.

In practice, say one rebuilds a head and used a bit too much wick and is getting dry hits. The AFC can be adjusted to accommodate and correct juice flow.

Not to shabby huh?

skotsour

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
I just gave mine a thorough warm water rinsing. I hope that's adequate 'cuz I've been vaping the thing since last night.

Well, I might be the canary in the coalmine. Stay tuned, folks!

I have to admit, I'm also a skank. I vaped one straight out of the envelope. Good thing the striped dinosaur standing next to me says everything is a-ok!

Silverdove

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Il, USA
Thanks Big Screen D that helps me to understand the air flow thingy a little better. I should be ok with it in its normal position for a while anyway. Doc. gave me two shots and 2 weeks of antibiotics and my ability to draw is much better. Have noticed a big difference with the cartos now don't have to push on the tank hardly at all now. And now if my draw goes back down hill again I will be able to look back at what you put on here to know what to do.

Oh yah almost forgot JoAnns fabric has the S+C yarn. that is were I got some.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
I have to admit, I'm also a skank. I vaped one straight out of the envelope. Good thing the striped dinosaur standing next to me says everything is a-ok!

You've got one too? I wonder if our two are siblings. I thought I had a unicorn (dammit!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread