Safe smoke does not give you a right to assault children

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilong1717

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2012
Newark, DE
I would be beyond FURIOUS if someone did that to my child as well however, I find it hard to believe that after two separate incidents at two different locations that you decided to return home and become a member of this forum just to inform us of what happened. My first reaction as a parent would have been to speak with the managers of the establishments that they occurred in. Did you do that?? If so, what was the response from them?? If you don't vape & don't know anyone who does then I really don't understand what you felt you were going to achieve by posting your rant here. And like many others stated....some people are just plain ignorant! But please don't classify all of us as such.

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
Walking down an aisle in a grocery store, there are people everywhere. I did think it was strange that these 3 people, 2 women and 1 man were just standing around at the end of the aisle. I did not put too much thought into it, it is a safe neighborhood and have never been threaten by anyone, so my wife, son, and I continued down the aisle with intent on going to the next aisle over, when I saw the female stare straight at me and then looks twords my son, then exhales twords my son. I moved my family past them and gave them some choice words. The started ranting about how it was not illegal for them to blow their ecig smoke at us. That it was harmless and why am I complaining.

So sorry that this had to happen near you and your child. It is really an awful situation.....
Hoping that you'll understand that YES, there ARE certainly some idiots out there. I can attest to the fact that most, if not every vaper AND smoker I know are very considerate of how, where and when they partake.

What town / city are you in? (Not that it makes any difference, there are idiots everywhere, it seems at times....)

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
What I was thinking when I joined this forum, is who is a ecig smoker going to take advise from, a non ecig smoker or a ecig smoker. It has to start in forums like this.
I really hope this never happens to us again, and I do actively look around for ecig smokers when I am in public, as to not run into this situation again.

So you don't vape and you just joined the forum to complain. While I don't condone the repulsive behavior of the vapers you've come across, the vapor from the ecig is much safer than smoke from cigarettes. So avoid smokers more actively than vapers.

I sincerely hope you don't run into this type of behavior in the future, but if it does happen, know that we cannot do anything about what people do. We are responsible adults here who do not cross those boundaries.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
What I was thinking when I joined this forum, is who is a ecig smoker going to take advise from, a non ecig smoker or a ecig smoker. It has to start in forums like this.
I really hope this never happens to us again, and I do actively look around for ecig smokers when I am in public, as to not run into this situation again.

Please do us on this forum the respect of not calling us smokers. Most of us have fought absolute hell to quit smoking and finally succeeded by taking up vaping. Using an e-cig is in no way smoking as nothing is burned. It is NOT smoke. We are Vapers not Smokers.

I also hope you run into no more jerks. It is the jerks that do things like this that give the rest of us who ARE considerate a bad name.

StillMaticc

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2013
Brooklyn, New York
Call the police..PERIOD. This forum cannot control the behavior of ignorant people.

Whether or not your story is true, you as a concerned parent should take the necessary steps to prevent situations like this from occurring in the future.

Also, not every person who vapes is a member of this forum. I know several personally who vape but do not participate here or on any other forum so your message may not even get to the intended people.

If someone does that to my kid they will find their faces securely planted on the floor. Followed by a trip to the local precinct's holding cell.

yzer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
Northern California
If the OP actually met up with some unsavory types in a grocery trying to typecast vapers as inconsiderate child abusers is just plain wrong. I guess vapers are the same folks who do gallon smashing?

The OP should have reported the incident to store management right after it happened. Insulting considerate people here at ECF in a futile attempt to vent long after the actual incident is just plain wrong.

Myself, I have never seen anyone vape inside a grocery store or a department store. I have never done so myself and wouldn't think of blowing vapor in the face of another person or animal. I didn't act that way when I smoked, either.

lulu836

Jambalya, crawfish pie, 'da filé gumbo
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
Shreveport
Have you posted to any other ecig forums or are we the only one blessed with your presence? If I were in your shoes I would lock my family in my house and never leave again. American citizens have rape, riot and revolution going on all over the world to put up with and be concerned about. Two instances of inappropriate behavior by a group of ignorant vapers does not stain us with their sins nor can we do anything about it. Find another cause to rail against. We already have enough people who are interested in shutting us down. Thanks.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Walking down an aisle in a grocery store, there are people everywhere. I did think it was strange that these 3 people, 2 women and 1 man were just standing around at the end of the aisle. I did not put too much thought into it, it is a safe neighborhood and have never been threaten by anyone, so my wife, son, and I continued down the aisle with intent on going to the next aisle over, when I saw the female stare straight at me and then looks twords my son, then exhales twords my son. I moved my family past them and gave them some choice words. The started ranting about how it was not illegal for them to blow their ecig smoke at us. That it was harmless and why am I complaining.

Even as a vaper I would've immediately spoken to the Manager. As you can see there's plenty of support and understanding for your encounter with the ignorant. That type of behavior is not the norm and is completely unacceptable. We're just ex smokers that have finally found a viable way to stop smoking....many of us here have kids and grandkids and can appreciate your plight.

Caridwen

ECF Moderator
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2011
I'm sorry it happened to you. We're just ex-smokers, not the vaping police.

Most of us here bend over backwards not to offend because of bad pr, legislation, etc. To be honest, I live in a highly populated state and go to the city at least once a week and I rarely even see anyone vaping. If I do, they're sort of hiding the fact.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
One post and she/he goes off like this??? Sorry, but I smell a Troll....

Finally, someone caught the same bad "wiff" of TROLL that I smelled. Their first post on ECF is this?? I've been vaping for 4 years and it's hard to find ONE person vaping and I am in a large metropolitian area and out every day. Yet this person finds three who intentionally blow vapor in a child's face. This does not pass the "common sense" meter.

Last edited:

Smokachino

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2009
Texas, USA
Have you posted to any other ecig forums or are we the only one blessed with your presence? If I were in your shoes I would lock my family in my house and never leave again. American citizens have rape, riot and revolution going on all over the world to put up with and be concerned about. Two instances of inappropriate behavior by a group of ignorant vapers does not stain us with their sins nor can we do anything about it. Find another cause to rail against. We already have enough people who are interested in shutting us down. Thanks.

+1,000,000

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Looks unanimous.
Hopefully, the victim OP will return and see that it's not people vaping that is the problem, it's the couple TOTAL a$$hats she encountered that are the problem.

So:
a) It isn't smoke - but
c) Puffing it in the immediate VICINITY of someone else's child is wrong - let alone blowing AT them intentionally - that's unforgiveable
d) If you are considering "proving that it's safe" by blowing vapor somewhere people don't want to breathe your exhaust - please don't, it reflects poorly on all of us who are more considerate, and may, over time, create more places where vaping is specifically prohibited

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I do not vape. I quit smoking using the patch. If you are using it to quit, more power to you. If you use it as a substitute so you can smoke in public places, just be considerate of those around you.

I would image that the majority of members on this forum are using ecigs because of their health(which is great improvement over cigarettes). I congratulate you being able to quit using the patch. Members here(most) have tried all there is out there for harm reduction and nothing else has worked for us until ecigs came along. I think I would find it difficult to find a handful of members who switched to ecigs just to be able to smoke in public. Believe me when I say that ecigs literally saved my life. You will find little, if any, juvenile pranks such as you described here, among the adults that frequent this form.

cmueller88

Jun 10, 2013
USA
You nailed it correctly!

I like that some of these ECF Veteran's are quick to knock someone who raises a legitimate concern with the behavior of some ecig "vaprors". Try to put me down as much as you like, what happened is a fact.
Are you afraid that someone may stand up to bad ecig behaviors and not let you do as you please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread