Safe to vape around baby with NO NICOTINE??? Vaping VS Cigs around baby?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
To add to that, my 4yo knew that whenever I stepped out onto the patio he had 4-5 minutes to cause trouble and get into things. Now he can't be a sneaky little turd as often! He has to wait until I go into the bathroom for his shenanigans.

Houndstooth

ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2016
Cape Ann, MA
Second Hand Vapor here is information from a study done a few years ago and it goes over exactly what is expelled. Looks like if you cook or bake around your kids vaping would be equivalent. I read a lot on this subject and I couldn't find anything harmful associated with second hand vaping.

I have a 1 year old and use 0mg nic. Hopefully others can add to this thread. I'm all for the advocacy of vaping. It seems to get demonized and directly associated as smoking. Here is a fact we all know it's not smoking. Period. At a molecular level its much different.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Did you follow up with this study? He made mention of a full doctoral, peer reviewed paper in the works. Also, the lab results link doesn't work. Recently had a relative dismiss my insistence such was the case while she carried on about how harmful nicotine is while otherwise is factually true.

Reactions: beckdg

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Another thing to think about is if you have PG in your juice. PG is a germ killer. It is spread through Hospital vents to help cut down on germs being spread. It might be beneficial to your child to have that in the air, of course not in the face!. I say go for it. But do keep in mind, I don't have a child. :):2c:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 21, 2009
    San Diego
    This topic would be equally relevant without the embedded fear of nicotine.

In fact, I'd worry about everything else in vapor before I'd worry about the nicotine.
    But then, I wouldn't worry about everything else in the vapor in the first place.
    :)

As Lessifer points out, even second hand smoke isn't THAT big a deal.
    And it's MUCH worse than vapor.

You got more to worry about from scented candles, air fresheners, and incense.

BrokenLung

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 2, 2012
    TN
    The safest thing is not to vape...maybe.....also, maybe it cures cancer lol. Point being, no one knows. There are no real peer reviewed double blind studies done and the little write up on exhaled contents may make you feel better but there isn't anything out there about the long term effects of vaping around your baby. Id say crack a window, turn on a fan, don't blow clouds right in your baby's face and things will be fine, but that is just an educated guess.

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 27, 2015
    Like it or not there are no long term studies, we don't know what the long term effects of vaping or second hand vape will be. We just have not been vaping long enough to gather the data. The few small scale studies that have been done so far seem to be positive. Nicotine is only one element of your juice, most will have PG & VG and flavourings. In a few decades time we will have a much better idea of what if anything can cause long term harm.

As an ex smoker I think it is beneficial for me to switch to vaping, because it probably lowers the risk of harm.

However a baby is the very definition of a never smoker / vaper, realistically the risk of harm from second hand vape is probably very low, but you are still increasing the risk. I am struggling to find a good reason why anyone would do that.

VintageModMan

ECF Veteran
    Nov 6, 2016
    Like it or not there are no long term studies, we don't know what the long term effects of vaping or second hand vape will be. We just have not been vaping long enough to gather the data. The few small scale studies that have been done so far seem to be positive. Nicotine is only one element of your juice, most will have PG & VG and flavourings. In a few decades time we will have a much better idea of what if anything can cause long term harm.

As an ex smoker I think it is beneficial for me to switch to vaping, because it probably lowers the risk of harm.

However a baby is the very definition of a never smoker / vaper, realistically the risk of harm from second hand vape is probably very low, but you are still increasing the risk. I am struggling to find a good reason why anyone would do that.
    I a would like to agree and disagree with you here. We do have an idea on what it does long term because we have been using things like VG in nebulizers and inhalers since the 1950s. For those of us who use max VG this is very much like delivering medication via a nebulized solution. So we do have long term information just not on vaping in particular. So we could also blame this on varies organizations lobbying. For children with asthma this is used often. However there was and is no concern for it.

Reactions: eemiely

skoony

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    Like it or not there are no long term studies, we don't know what the long term effects of vaping or second hand vape will be.

IMHO I myself will not be holding my breath waiting for long term studies.
    Due to the lack of any significant observable negative health effects,coupled
    with the results of modern toxicology there does not at this time appear to be
    any reason to conduct such long term tests.Who would pay for them?
    What would they look for? Aside from possible allergic reactions no one has
    of yet been hospitalized for any thing related to actually vaping.(battery mishaps
    and accidents don't count)
    :2c:
    regards
    Mike

Reactions: Ryedan

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    I a would like to agree and disagree with you here. We do have an idea on what it does long term because we have been using things like VG in nebulizers and inhalers since the 1950s. For those of us who use max VG this is very much like delivering medication via a nebulized solution. So we do have long term information just not on vaping in particular. So we could also blame this on varies organizations lobbying. For children with asthma this is used often. However there was and is no concern for it.

The use of VG/PG or whatever in a nebulizer to a vape tank is comparing apples to oranges. One is a suspension created by airflow, the nebulizer, and the other by heating with a wire, vapor. Chemicals can and do change with heating so what can be safe in one setting is not in another. I would also not expose any child (or adult for that matter) to vaporized PG, as it is a minor irritant to the respiratory tract. That might not be a big deal for the average person, but it could easily trigger an acute worsening of their asthma.

And again, the long term experience with a substance in a nebulizer is not the same as heated by a vape wire.

VintageModMan

ECF Veteran
    Nov 6, 2016
    The use of VG/PG or whatever in a nebulizer to a vape tank is comparing apples to oranges. One is a suspension created by airflow, the nebulizer, and the other by heating with a wire, vapor. Chemicals can and do change with heating so what can be safe in one setting is not in another. I would also not expose any child (or adult for that matter) to vaporized PG, as it is a minor irritant to the respiratory tract. That might not be a big deal for the average person, but it could easily trigger an acute worsening of their asthma.

And again, the long term experience with a substance in a nebulizer is not the same as heated by a vape wire.
    My apologies. I didn't specify and made it a blanket statement. Yes that is true and has been used since half way through the 1960s before there were a few methods 2 using heating elements. Early e cigs used the ultrasonic technology but it didn't deliver the nicotine properly. My question then becomes then would ceramic or chip heating technology or ultrasonic technology be a safer route for delivery and more akin to the same medical uses for someone using it or 0 NIC and max VG?

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    My apologies. I didn't specify and made it a blanket statement. Yes that is true and has been used since half way through the 1960s before there were a few methods 2 using heating elements. Early e cigs used the ultrasonic technology but it didn't deliver the nicotine properly. My question then becomes then would ceramic or chip heating technology or ultrasonic technology be a safer route for delivery and more akin to the same medical uses for someone using it or 0 NIC and max VG?

Nah, it's just we all want to keep stating that vaping is way safer than smoking (which it absolutely is) that we forget there are differences in use that can potentially affect safety. Those types of piezoelectric chips used for small portable medical nebulizers would certainly produce a suspension, but not a true vapor as we think of it from our current vape gear. Would it give the same performance and satisfaction? No idea, but it would certainly be a cool vape. And no way you'd get clouds out of it. I doubt you would be happy with it in place of a vape.

There are those heating devices that can be used with tobacco itself and provide a "non-burning" smoke but then no flavors, adjusting nic concentrations, still no real cloud, and so on. Vaping as a whole is way more satisfying than what came before. There will always be some grey areas around its use until a long term view will tell us just how much safer it really is. The vape industry has also grown at a remarkable rate, so trying to extrapolate safety seen with devices of just few years ago might not be indicative of what happens with current hardware.

In the absence of data, the best you can rely on is good judgement and common sense. And there's no guarantee that will turn out to be correct once the data does become available. All you can do is the best you can.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    For my 16 month old son I bought a heavy duty air filter and I never blow it in his direction or near him.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using MOAR 2.1b ROM running tapatalk

Funny you would mention it. Joyetech has an e cig air filter for preorder the Avatar VapeNut (I wonder if there wasn't some language issue that would name a product a vape nut)
    air filter.jpg

Avatar VapeNut And it's only $99.99 :rolleyes:

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2016
    Tempe, Arizona, United States
    Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    What a bargain!

It is! Just look at these features:

"Features

1. Specially designed for electronic cigarette users.one-click operation
    2. High quality silent fan and circular arc duct design to reduce noise
    3. Air turbocharger system, circulating air, healthy and fun
    4. High density smoke filter
    5. High precise multi-point smoke density detection technology
    6. Intelligent mode switching, energy efficient design"

And it's fun! When is the last time you had fun using an air filter?:lol:

Falco78

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 29, 2014
    United States

Cheallaigh

Ultra Member
    Aug 13, 2016
    Georgian Bay, Ontario
    Nah, it's just we all want to keep stating that vaping is way safer than smoking (which it absolutely is) that we forget there are differences in use that can potentially affect safety. Those types of piezoelectric chips used for small portable medical nebulizers would certainly produce a suspension, but not a true vapor as we think of it from our current vape gear. Would it give the same performance and satisfaction? No idea, but it would certainly be a cool vape. And no way you'd get clouds out of it. I doubt you would be happy with it in place of a vape.

There are those heating devices that can be used with tobacco itself and provide a "non-burning" smoke but then no flavors, adjusting nic concentrations, still no real cloud, and so on. Vaping as a whole is way more satisfying than what came before. There will always be some grey areas around its use until a long term view will tell us just how much safer it really is. The vape industry has also grown at a remarkable rate, so trying to extrapolate safety seen with devices of just few years ago might not be indicative of what happens with current hardware.

In the absence of data, the best you can rely on is good judgement and common sense. And there's no guarantee that will turn out to be correct once the data does become available. All you can do is the best you can.
    ironically...

NICORETTE® QuickMist® | Products to Help You Quit Smoking | NICORETTE®

you reminded me of this crap.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread