• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Safe to vape juice with grain alcohol???

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Brag

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Nebraska
I've heard many vendors are using grain alcohol as an additive, to achieve the much sought after Throat Hit. Is this safe for us in recovery? Does it burn off, like cooking with it? Is the concentration so minute that it won't hurt, like O'duals? Any feedback would be much appreciated:)

Like O'duals? I've been sober for a while and still won't risk my sobriety with na beer. Just my opinion on that. I don't know about pga as an additive either because of the same reasons. I don't want to loose the sobriety I have come to enjoy so much by trying something I'm not sure of. It might not be a problem at all, I just won't risk it.

MsOceanCity

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
Many juice vendors use pga, not only for TH but to thin the liquid. They for sure don't all advertise this fact. For anybody that is concerned, I'd contact your juice vendor of choice and ask about this. Personally, I have no problem with it. Been sober 7 fantastic years and vaping for the past 18 months. Never once did the thought of taking a drink enter my mind, when vaping any of my liquids. But, to each his own. It all comes down to what works for you:) Thanks for the responses;)

MsOceanCity

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey
One thing i won't do tho is vape beer or any alcohol flavor name. Why go there?

I personally don't have a problem with that. It's really only a name, as it never tastes like the real thing. There is only one flavor I like at night and that is Whiskey. Funny, cuz that was never my drink of choice. Only problem is that I've yet to find a really good one. I used to use V4L's, but it was discontinued. Heard it's coming back, but I don't have an ETA. I think I've tried every vendor that offers it and the best I can come up with is MyFreedomSmokes mixed with LiteCig.

Tnscooter

Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
TN
I am some what surprised at some of these answers, but to each his own. I am kinda scared to ask my vendor if my juice has pga in it now, but as nobrag said it isnt worth the risk for an exdrunk like me. I do believe it is a disease and alcohol will set off a chemical reaction, as it has before, and I would be off and running again. I would rather die from cancer with my family by my side than a anything drunk. But there is a solution, like when I had an operation and was on morphine it was like 3 to 6 months later that I got funky (my thinking), but I was sticking with the winners and staying in constant contact with people in the program which got me thru it. Nothing is worth my sobriety, I say tthat for me more than anything else. Thanks, Scott

No Brag

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Nebraska
I would rather die from cancer with my family by my side than a anything drunk.

Hi Tnscooter,
That is exactly how I felt the last time I tried to quit smoking with Chantex. It was the closest that I have ever came to going back to drinking. I had to decide to go back to smoking to stay sober. I really like the way you put it. Dieing from cancer with the family there for support would be a lot better than dieing from alcohol after loosing the family because of drinking and not having anyone there.

Tnscooter

Verified Member
Dec 17, 2010
TN
goodmorning No Brag, I have never tried the chantix but when I did try the welabutrin I hated the way I felt even with the pills cut in half. Heck I have a hard time taking asprin without feeling funky, I cant stand taking meds, but I do better about taking the ones the doc says I need to these days. I have quit 3 times since being sober, twice I made it 45 days and once 6 month, I am hoping this time if I want to fall off the wagon it will be with the e-cig and maybe just another flavor juice, it has bee 2 weeks today and doing better than any other time before.

No Brag

ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Nebraska
Hi Tnscooter,
I think that the best thing about quitting with vaping has been the support here on ECF. For me it is about like going to a meeting. When I was on Chantex they had what they called a support team that you could get on line with. I tried that, but found that it must have been people that were just trained to do a job. It wasn't like they had gone through what we are going through. They just didn't understand like the people here do. Congratulations on your 2 weeks. I know what you mean about doing better than any other time. This just seems to work better. Its almost to easy. I have just over 3 months now and am enjoying everyday. I remember the end of 90 meetings in 90 days when I quit drinking.(3 months) I was still pretty shaky, but kept going 1 day at a time and it has been over 6 1/2 years now. I hope I can keep vaping and get that many days without smoking too.
If you have any questions just ask here on ECF or if you want PM me and I'll try to help. Have a good evening and let me know how you are doing.:2cool::vapor:

krijmo

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2011
A, A
Like O'duals? I've been sober for a while and still won't risk my sobriety with na beer. Just my opinion on that. I don't know about pga as an additive either because of the same reasons. I don't want to loose the sobriety I have come to enjoy so much by trying something I'm not sure of. It might not be a problem at all, I just won't risk it.

Hate to burst your bubble, but PG is an alcohol. Hope youre vapin VG....

Fusoya

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2009
Dallas, TX
Just wanted to weigh in -

I've actually been without a drink for a little over three and a half years and while alcohol was a HUGE part of my problem it wasn't near as bad as shooting/smoking .... was or smoking crack.

I actually even have a small bottle of PGA at my house that I use for cleaning my atomizers. I find that with the amount of time I've had clean it's just really a non-issue. Now I still don't use mouthwash with alcohol but it's properties when it comes to being a solvent and how quickly it dries just can't be beat.

I TOTALLY understand being wary of it though - I've got about two and a half months clean now and I wouldn't have a syringe as part of a DIY kit in my house.

So yea - it's all about your comfort level and where you're at in your recovery.

If you think it's a huge issue I of course recommend asking some people in your support group or your sponsor what they think on the subject and go from there.

Brandon

lazymitch

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2011
Wilsonville, OR
This is one of those topics that we all have to make our own mind up about.

Alcohol is in MANY of the products we use, And to me, personally.... I use about 2 ML/Day of juice.... let's say it's 10% alcohol,
that's .2 ML of alcohol in a day..... if that's going to jeopardize my sobriety, I've got some *SERIOUS* step work to be doing!

I personally check my motives before using said products.
Am I consuming this because it contains alcohol, or does it simply contain a small amount of it?

Now, products like nyquil.... I'm not touching with a 10 foot pole (though my normie with uses it for her colds - I know I can't!)

We are all responsible for our own recoveries - do what's best for you!

~Lazy

Old Chemist

ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2009
Poland
starychemik.wordpress.com
Hate to burst your bubble, but PG is an alcohol. Hope youre vapin VG....
Well, in fact VG is an alcohol, too. Chemically speaking, of course.

Alcohol is in MANY of the products we use, And to me, personally.... I use about 2 ML/Day of juice.... let's say it's 10% alcohol,
that's .2 ML of alcohol in a day..... if that's going to jeopardize my sobriety, I've got some *SERIOUS* step work to be doing!
Absolutely right, lazymitch. I'd add one more thing - bacteries in human body produce alcohol (PGA), too. On average it's half an ounce daily. Adding .2 ML or even 1 ML doesn't make a difference.

deach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 24, 2011
IL
I think Lazy says it best. I just got to thinking here and Feb 14 (yes a reason for that day) I'll be 10 years sober. In the beginning I really was very careful to stay away from anything I readily knew about that contained any alcohol. I guess around the third year it didn't seem such issue and stop keeping track. (EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT). I take nyquil if I'm sick and have a cold, never do I want to "drink". I do use flavorings with PGA in them and that causes no symptoms of wanting a drink. I once a month meet at a bar's back room with folks on a different group. They have iced tea at the bar and I have no problems going to the bar to get it. (I don't think this would had been the case early on).

Everyone is different and you must be careful for a "long time" not to fall back into the old ways. At almost 57 years old I guess it somehow got into my head "I don't care what they think"....

Good luck to everyone and if anyone ever needs to just talk or "think before you drink" just please get a hold of me.

Deach

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
Coming up on 25 years, the obsession has been gone a long time.

The amount of alcohol in eliquids is trivial. Even if eliquid was 100% pga, as a heavy vaper I consume 0.5ml, 1/60 of an ounce, per hour. Actual alcohol content is maybe 10% (too much and even a nominal vg eliquid is too thin to be useful), but even doubling to 20% ends up at 1/300 of an ounce per hour.

The price of sobriety is continued vigilance, but this area I see as a non-issue. Personal choice, I also don't mind that my wife uses vanilla extract for baking.

hitman4274

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 29, 2012
south west florida
Hello all, I saw this section on ecf and it intrigued me to check it out finding this post...

I've been in the rooms since I was 3 days old, my father won't let me forget it, he has a solid 20something years...
There a bunch of locals that get together at a local bar and sing kareoke. On just about any given thursday night there are more people in the bar drinking ice tea than alcohol.... And this doesn't seem to bother anyone, rather they are a friend of bills or not... I have struggled with addiction myself in many forms, and it certainly gets easier with time and less of a concern to avoid the things like pga.. its not that the PGA will make you want to pick up a drink because its alcohol, I would guess its the mental stimulation or relating the two together... But these are the struggles we face as addicts. The key is to embrace the fact that you can in fact stare at addiction from accross room and not necessarily not have any troubles but be strong enough to not stress about those struggles... Just my 2cents, what do I know tho, everyone struggles differently with different things. Happy vaping, and good luck.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread