Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

HemiHonda

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
Arizona
I have a question for the veterans. I've been vaping for 6 months. I use an eGo One Mega. I don't build my own coils, I use Joyetech clr 1 ohm heads and toss them, I don't rebuild them. I prefer the flavor over their cl heads. I only use the equipment that came with my ego one. I know this question has probably been asked... How safe are these lithium batteries? I've never had any issues, but rarely, you do hear about lithium batteries exploding. ..thermal runaway. Like I said, I haven't done any mods and I just use their equipment. I also know their batteries have built in circuitry protection. I pretty much know the answer to this. Just peace of mind from the Vets. Thanks for your time.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
To put this into perspective:

"Each year, about 4.5 million Americans visit their doctor’s office or the emergency room because of adverse prescription drug side effects. A startling 2 million other patients who are already hospitalized suffer the ill effects of prescription medications annually, and this when they should be under the watchful eye of medical professionals.

All kinds of medications, from those that are considered “all natural” to those that are chemically produced in a laboratory, carry some sort of aftereffect. Even though prescription drugs are supposed to undergo stringent testing and clinical trials, federal drug regulators allow a level of side effects. In addition, most side effects vary from person to person, depending on the dosage, the patient’s disease, age, weight, gender, ethnicity and overall health."

http://www.drugwatch.com/side-effects/

So if you've ever bothered to 'read the manual' on any prescription drugs you have taken, there will be a list of side effects that give a percentage of people that experienced a wide range. That percentage is usually miniscule to the number of people who have taken the drug.

Here's FEMA's take on lithium batteries used in ecigarettes:

"What we found

Media reports of 25 separate incidents in the U.S. dating from 2009 to the present (Oct 2014) were found during an Internet search. This list is not thought to be all-inclusive since it is likely that there were incidents that were not reported to the fire department and/or reported in the media. The media reports were reviewed, and key information was extracted and summarized."

https://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/publications/electronic_cigarettes.pdf

And a graph that accompanies the study:

e-cig-status-at-time-of-fire.png

First not only do your batteries have some level of protection - all have charge protection, many now have short protection, and the chargers used have those protections and sometimes reverse polarity protection as well - as do some mods. While the probability of the charge protection in BOTH devices (batt AND charger) going out while charging, is quite low, the possibility still exists.

This is why I always unplug any device charging when I leave the house or go to sleep. In over six years of constant daily vaping - and recharging, I've never had a fire, meltdown, explosion. I've had about 3 or 4 times when I've 'checked' (touched) batteries charging where they were hotter than what was normal. I took them off the charger, turned them off (if that was possible) and threw them and the charger away.

When one of our posters has an 'incident' almost everyone hears about it. If you go to any cell phone forum, flashlight forum, radio controlled toy forum, laptop forum, etc. the same will happen. And if the media gets wind of it - it will be on every station. But for the trillions of mAh's of all the batteries, the number of incidents - some of which not pretty - is still under the level of the side effects of drugs which kill over 100,000 people each year.

I hope that accomplishes task of my first sentence above :- )

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I have a question for the veterans. I've been vaping for 6 months. I use an eGo One Mega. I don't build my own coils, I use Joyetech clr 1 ohm heads and toss them, I don't rebuild them. I prefer the flavor over their cl heads. I only use the equipment that came with my ego one. I know this question has probably been asked... How safe are these lithium batteries? I've never had any issues, but rarely, you do hear about lithium batteries exploding. ..thermal runaway. Like I said, I haven't done any mods and I just use their equipment. I also know their batteries have built in circuitry protection. I pretty much know the answer to this. Just peace of mind from the Vets. Thanks for your time.

If you are using the Factory CLR 1.0 Heads, and your Battery has Never been Damaged (Shorted, Sever Drop onto a Hard Surface, Extremely Overheated, etc) then your Set-Up would be considered Very Safe.

As you Mention, the eGo ONE Battery has Built-In Protection. And using 1.0 Factory Coils is Well within the Working Limits of you Battery.

The Only Precaution I would suggest is to Not Charge the Battery when you are Not at Home. And I would Never Charge it, or any Mod, while you are Asleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread