San Diego ABC 10News to do independent study on ecigs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Okay, so here is his last reply again...
Nicely said. I don’t have quite the same enthusiasm as you do but I do know that if they are the real deal, then this period of questioning and concern will pass too. Because we don’t instantly embrace every new idea or breakthrough has more to do with caution over the latest “best” thing. This comes with experience. If they are the real deal, they will be accepted. Anything is better than the traditional cigarette and many think e cigs will eventually displace the current.

And here is the reply I am considering sending, just to test the waters a bit more...
I can only hope that you are right.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
--Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

From what I've witnessed first-hand over the last four years, we seem to be in the early part of Stage Two right about now.

Thoughts?

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Question for anyone reading this: Have you ever seen anyone, even one person, using an ecig and a cigarette at the same time?

As someone who dual uses and hangs out with other dual users, the answer to that question would be a no.

I would also note that everyone I know that dual uses smokes far far less than what they used to (as I know what they used to smoke).

On the flip side, I can vape or smoke within say 10 minutes of the other activity. But I smoke so moderately now that all the anti-smoking propaganda, even by ex-smokers found on this site, means next to nothing to me. You smoked 3+ PAD and had issues with them? That's a shame. I currently smoke a pack ever 4 to 6 weeks and have very little to no issues from smoking.

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio

And here is the reply I am considering sending, just to test the waters a bit more...

Thoughts?

Personally, I don't care for this quote in this context, if you are not wanting to sound crazy and all. Mainly because every person with a whack-a-doodle theory thinks their answer is the truth and this quote applies to them. Thinking that this quote applies to your subject is not proof that your ideas are truth. Does this make any sense? I do think this quote applies to ecigs, and eventually we will get to the 'self-evident' stage of acceptance, but I don't think it makes a convincing argument. Jmo.

Btw, thanks for discussing this with the guy. You are doing a smashing job.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Nicely said. I don’t have quite the same enthusiasm as you do but I do know that if they are the real deal, then this period of questioning and concern will pass too. Because we don’t instantly embrace every new idea or breakthrough has more to do with caution over the latest “best” thing. This comes with experience. If they are the real deal, they will be accepted. Anything is better than the traditional cigarette and many think e cigs will eventually displace the current.

I can only hope that you are right.

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
--Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 - 1860)

From what I've witnessed first-hand over the last four years, we seem to be in the early part of Stage Two right about now.

Thoughts?

I kinda think you are beating a dead horse at this point. For a person to say, "many think e cigs will eventually displace the current" and not qualify that with something that is 'anti' is a fairly big concession on the debate at hand. Person acknowledges they will be accepted, if they are the real deal, and doesn't seem to contend that (they are the real deal).

If still wanting to dialogue with this person, then perhaps ask them what would help them understand eCigs as the real deal? What will change for them to make it so eCigs are seen, by them, as the real deal?

I think exercising caution over the latest new tech toy is a wise choice. But if that choice for caution becomes a desire / practice of perpetuating lies / propaganda to protect an industry that many think is corrupt or manipulating the public for profit, then that needs to be called out. Caution is one thing, hyped up paranoia based on lies, is quite another. ANTZ won't make comments without including the lies. For them it isn't just caution, it is cessation by any means necessary. ANTZ wouldn't make the point that these could be the real deal and will one day be accepted if they are. They'd qualify it with lie #76 from their playbook and feel they are doing a service to all involved. IMO, you aren't communicating with ANTZ and sometimes planting a seed is the absolute best thing that can be done for communication on an issue.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA

Thoughts?

I would add something about doing another test with brands that are more recognizable, such as Blu, V2Cigs, and NJOY, or one of the brands that are being introduced by BT, such as the Vuse. This would be much more pertinent to the overall conversation than finding some random ecig that was "found on the internet." It would also make for a better lead-up to the segment. "What's really in that Blu ecig?" is a much better line, and would lead to much higher ratings. Producers like ratings.

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
As someone who dual uses and hangs out with other dual users, the answer to that question would be a no.

I would also note that everyone I know that dual uses smokes far far less than what they used to (as I know what they used to smoke).

On the flip side, I can vape or smoke within say 10 minutes of the other activity. But I smoke so moderately now that all the anti-smoking propaganda, even by ex-smokers found on this site, means next to nothing to me. You smoked 3+ PAD and had issues with them? That's a shame. I currently smoke a pack ever 4 to 6 weeks and have very little to no issues from smoking.

I posted this somewhere else and am beginning to think I'm going to have to start a full-blown crusade on the subject. Dual use implies you're using two products at the same time (i.e. wearing a patch while vaping, or using snus while vaping.) Alternate use (which is what you're doing) implies, well, alternating product use.

As far as the lay public is concerned, dual use implies heavier (and therefore riskier) use, whereas alternate use states precisely what it is.

Sorry if this seems like nitpicking, but precise use of words to describe specific concepts is important. :2c:

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Jman's

.....perhaps ask them what would help them understand eCigs as the real deal? What will change for them to make it so eCigs are seen, by them, as the real deal?

and Spaceball's

I would add something about doing another test with brands that are more recognizable, such as Blu, V2Cigs, and NJOY, or one of the brands that are being introduced by BT, such as the Vuse. This would be much more pertinent to the overall conversation than finding some random ecig that was "found on the internet." It would also make for a better lead-up to the segment. "What's really in that Blu ecig?" is a much better line, and would lead to much higher ratings. Producers like ratings.

are both excellent suggestions, IMO. (Would love to have you suggest they find a more reputable researcher to do the study... But that's not planting a seed of thought, that's hittin 'em over the head with the entire plant...)

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
The Fortesque Mansion, UK
As far as the lay public is concerned, dual use implies heavier (and therefore riskier) use, whereas alternate use states precisely what it is.

Exactly - the myth Glantz is perpetuating is that we smokers are smoking everywhere we're allowed to smoke and then vaping everywhere we're not allowed to smoke - hence we're consuming more nicotine than we otherwise would with no intention of cutting down or quitting cigarette use.

Glantz has stated multiple times that people aren't quitting - just dual-using - according to him, none of us exist.

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
I haven't put the time in or reviewed the facts as how to word this. However my answer would be something along this line.
I would point out that it has been something like 50 or 75 years since we have known about the health effects of cigarettes and millions have died since then. In a large part because of the political power of the tobacco lobby. So yes new ideas may eventually prevail as they have against smoking.
If e-cigs actually do work don't they have some responsibility to research and publish the facts?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I kinda think you are beating a dead horse at this point. For a person to say, "many think e cigs will eventually displace the current" and not qualify that with something that is 'anti' is a fairly big concession on the debate at hand. Person acknowledges they will be accepted, if they are the real deal, and doesn't seem to contend that (they are the real deal).
This is my thinking as well, which is why I want to steer clear of appearing to be a nut case for now.

If still wanting to dialogue with this person, then perhaps ask them what would help them understand eCigs as the real deal? What will change for them to make it so eCigs are seen, by them, as the real deal?
I was starting to come to the conclusion that I have gone beyond the point of emails.
It may be that only a phone call can help me adequately wade through the issues involved in a subtle but hopefully evolving way.

IMO, you aren't communicating with ANTZ and sometimes planting a seed is the absolute best thing that can be done for communication on an issue.
That's also what I've been thinking, which is why I am still considering to end the written conversation here.

And I want to say that while I have quoted your post, I appreciate all of the other opinions given here.
There is validity to all of them.

This is not my first rodeo, but I have found in the past that phone calls work better for me.
I am strongly considering offering that rather than trying to offer more information or persuade via email.

Why do I get myself involved in these messes?
:laugh:

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Glantz has stated multiple times that people aren't quitting - just dual-using - according to him, none of us exist.

Yeah, as a dual alternate user, I feel like I am in a very small minority in the vaping community, yet Glantz seems to think I'm in some overwhelming majority. If I could meet Dr. G, in person, I'd have no problem setting the record straight. He has the 'dual user' thing squarely on the deception side of things and it makes me question his integrity. If we met in person or online or wherever, I would say that I find his integrity questionable on this matter, as it seems baseless in the way he perpetuates the claim around dual use.

As a vaper who is also an ex-smoker, I'd be upset with such a deception, as apparently many vapers are.

AegisPrime

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
The Fortesque Mansion, UK
I feel like I am in a very small minority in the vaping community, yet Glantz seems to think I'm in some overwhelming majority.

Point is, even in your case Jman, you find yourself smoking less because of vaping - who the heck cares what your usage of e-cigs is if it means you smoke a few less cigarettes a day? That people can do that at all is a huge health win - the fact that some people use e-cigs to completely stop smoking is incredible and should be getting far more support than it is. Glantz cares nothing for the health of smokers - just in some bizarre utopian dream (nightmare) of a world where whatever he proclaims bad is eradicated.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Dual users. That's how I managed to finally quit the last 4 cigs a day that I just had to have. Every time I just had to light one up, I would make myself also alternate with a vape. The cig tasted so horrible in comparison, plus the exhaled billows were scantily there in comparison. I did this, so my body & mind would both align with my spirit and choose vaping over smoking. Until I did that, my body & mind were convinced they still needed the oh so much more powerful smoke. I did this for 3 days, deleting a real cig from my daily must have list til hitting zero needed. Oh, and btw, my mind, body, & spirit all chose to take more vapes than puffs, ... so instead of puffing 15 drags, I would puff about 5. Slantzz is so screwy he wouldn't know a wonderful thing if it danced in his lap.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
The whole team 10 was a stunt, and the media is paid to endorse the views of its owner. Otherwise, they would have selected decent scientists and experts, plus they would have acknowledged the Drexel, IVAQS, Utah ClearStream air, full lancet report, and all other qualified studies.

I was kind of eluding to this point earlier in this thread. Though, as DC has had some sort of continued discussion with this contact person, I am almost second guessing my opinion. This person could have simply not responded, as has been with so many e-mails many of us have sent in the past. Maybe there is some genuine interest on their part. I just hope DC is able to make the most of it. Its a tough call as how to proceed from here. Many good suggestions in this thread!

If it were me, I don't think I would call. I wouldn't want to come off as a stalker LOL! I think I would put together some informative links on the subject (CASAA study etc...) and would explain some of the highlights. We do have a wealth of positive information handy. I would also mention the White House petitions. Possibly volunteer some time, if they truly want to hear the benefits of vaping, along with the sleazy politics behind the junk science.

I am in no way suggesting this is the CORRECT way to handle things, simply the way I would. There are people here more knowledgeable than I on these matters:D

pamdis

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
IL
Pushing would probably be perceived as stalking nutcase. I would do as 2coils suggests. Follow up with either e-mail or phone call thanking him for the exchange and offering to point them to studies done by other universities that have no agenda. Don't inundate him with them, just make the offer that if/when he is interested you can point him to other resources to help him portray a more balanced report next time.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I just saw this, third hand smoke is now dangerous and a fire-able offense. Sure the truth matters.

T.J. Samson enforces thirdhand smoke policy - Bowling Green Daily News: News

Great comments in there refuting the awful agenda.
Funny how the article mentions vinegar as the only sure way to exterminate the THS. The gypsies who choose to live in vans use diluted vinegar to bathe with, also to spritz their clothes to refresh. I suppose it would be too hospitable to have vinegar spritz bottles handy at entrances ...

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I was kind of eluding to this point earlier in this thread. Though, as DC has had some sort of continued discussion with this contact person, I am almost second guessing my opinion. This person could have simply not responded, as has been with so many e-mails many of us have sent in the past. Maybe there is some genuine interest on their part. I just hope DC is able to make the most of it. Its a tough call as how to proceed from here. Many good suggestions in this thread!

If it were me, I don't think I would call. I wouldn't want to come off as a stalker LOL! I think I would put together some informative links on the subject (CASAA study etc...) and would explain some of the highlights. We do have a wealth of positive information handy. I would also mention the White House petitions. Possibly volunteer some time, if they truly want to hear the benefits of vaping, along with the sleazy politics behind the junk science.

I am in no way suggesting this is the CORRECT way to handle things, simply the way I would. There are people here more knowledgeable than I on these matters:D

I agree.
And I aLso now realize it was gently pre-covered. My bad. Sometimes my emotions ... anyway, thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread