San Francisco raises smoking and vaping age to 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
This applies to all tobacco products and all vaping products.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/02/health/san-francisco-smoking-age-21/index.html

CNN has in-house experts to dish out misinformation on nearly any topic:
"tobacco (is) arguably the most addictive substance on the planet, which has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, in any way, shape or form," said CNN chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

And, I suppose, it's more dangerous than an IED or incoming mortar. Right, Dr. Gupta?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
This applies to all tobacco products and all vaping products.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/02/health/san-francisco-smoking-age-21/index.html

CNN has in-house experts to dish out misinformation on nearly any topic:

And, I suppose, it's more dangerous than an IED or incoming mortar. Right, Dr. Gupta?

Dr. Gupta

Where have I heard that name Before?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Once I saw that Face, I remember where I had heard of Dr. Sanjay Gupta...

"From 1997 to 1998, he served as one of fifteen White House Fellows, primarily as an advisor to Hillary Clinton. In January 2009, it was reported that Gupta was offered the position of Surgeon General of the United States in the Obama administration,[1] but he withdrew his name from consideration.[4] In January 2011, he was named "one of the 10 most influential celebrities" by Forbes magazine.[5]"

Sanjay Gupta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
"Tobacco (is) arguably the most addictive substance on the planet, which has no redeeming qualities whatsoever, in any way, shape or form," said CNN chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta.
No redeeming qualities whatsoever?
This guy needs to be fired from whatever position he holds.

To think he was being considered for Surgeon General is beyond absurd.
With a statement like that he's not even qualified to be my general practitioner.

The only remaining question is whether he is a liar, or just ignorant.

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
No redeeming qualities whatsoever?
This guy needs to be fired from whatever position he holds.

To think he was being considered for Surgeon General is beyond absurd.
With a statement like that he's not even qualified to be my general practitioner.

The only remaining question is whether he is a liar, or just ignorant.

Beyond absurd indeed. Presidential candidates cough cough...

Today's whether forecast, expect liars, strong winds and foul behaviour, slippery conditions in low lying areas with reduced visibility, travel not advised!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Wow... Just Wow.

Today the California Assembly approved a bill that would raise the minimum smoking age in California from 18 to 21. Senate Bill (SB) 2X-7 is part of the Second Extraordinary Session called by the Governor in June 2015 and represents a merger of Assemblyman Jim Wood’s (D-Healdsburg) Assembly Bill (AB) 2X-8 and Senator Ed Hernández’s (D-West Covina) SB 2X-7. Assemblyman Wood is now the principle co-author of the bill that will head to the Governor’s desk.

California Assembly Approves Bill to Raise Legal Smoking Age to 21

Assembly Floor Session Bills

Reactions: LaraC

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
Wow... Just Wow.

Today the California Assembly approved a bill that would raise the minimum smoking age in California from 18 to 21. Senate Bill (SB) 2X-7 is part of the Second Extraordinary Session called by the Governor in June 2015 and represents a merger of Assemblyman Jim Wood’s (D-Healdsburg) Assembly Bill (AB) 2X-8 and Senator Ed Hernández’s (D-West Covina) SB 2X-7. Assemblyman Wood is now the principle co-author of the bill that will head to the Governor’s desk.

California Assembly Approves Bill to Raise Legal Smoking Age to 21

Assembly Floor Session Bills
If that bill gets killed, there could be some interesting litigation, involving San Francisco's ordinance. This article is from October:

Healdsburg suspends its over-21 requirement for buying tobacco
Warner also said Healdsburg was likely preempted by state law from adopting an ordinance raising the minimum age to 21.

The tobacco retailers group said the same thing — the California Penal Code stipulates that no city or county shall adopt any ordinance or regulation that contravenes the state law setting the minimum age at 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread