Saying hello, and some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyYann

Jun 11, 2017
Hi!

I wanted to introduce myself. I live in Santa Monica, and I'm in the process of replacing cigarettes by vaping.

I use snuss during the day, and smoke a couple of cigarettes at night. But when I drink, I smoke a lot more. I had some holidays, and I binged and got sick of it. So, since last Wednesday I've been vaping instead.

I wanted to thank you guys for all the information on the forum. The vaping world can be overwhelming, but after reading the forum for a few days I'm starting to get the hang of it.

While waiting for an EGO Aio I ordered (vaping.com is being a bit slow shipping it!), I've been using disposables: I've tried Blu, aer, and Square XL.

I thought the Blu (tobacco flavor) was a good introduction to vaping. The taste was pleasant, and the build quality and form factor of the device was cool. It lasted until Friday night.

aer was a complete ripoff, it only lasted half an hour. Stay away from this brand.

Square XL (regular flavor) is nice. Better taste than Blu, and supposedly will last longer. It's a manual rather than an auto, and it has an EGO form factor.

I'm really looking forward getting the EGO Aio and start trying different eliquids. I like how it looks, and how simple it is, that's what made me decide for it as a newbie device.

I have a couple of questions:
- There are many online sellers, which are the most trust-worthy and fast ones?
- Any newbie recommendations for eliquids?
- I feel that I will prefer the drag and feel of the Clapton 1.5 ohm coils, and I've read that those are compatible with the EGO Aio, where can I order then online? I've Googled around without much success.
- I should prime the EGO Aio included coil before using it, right? Does the process consist in putting some eliquid on it, and pressing the button for some seconds without dragging?

That's all for now, thanks!

Cf11

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2017
Hello and welcome to ecf...
Congrats on making the switch.

Ego aio is a great starter device. You'll be very happy with it's performance. :)

Now to answer your questions.
1. Sorry i can't answer this one because I'm not from your region.
2. As for the e liquids... The flavors can be very subjective. Do you like deserts? Fruits? Tobacco flavors? There's a whole range of flavors out there but make sure you are careful with the nicotine strength of the liquid. Start with 6mg strength and then see if you're satisfied with it or not. If it feels like too much then lower it to 3mg if too less then go upto 8 mg.
But IMO, 3mg will suit you... It suits most of the people who vape.
3. A common place for most of the vaping needs is fasttech.com but the downside is that they're based in china and it takes a little while to reach. If you don't find anything in your region then fasttech is always there with all your vaping needs.
4. Yes you must prime the coils b4 use but do not press the button in the beginning. First put few drops of liquid on the top of the coil where the cotton is and the airflow holes then put it in the tank and fill your tank with liquid. But before firing, turn the mod off and suck through the dip tip till you get little sense of the flavor. Now let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes just to be safe. Then fire the aio and give small pulses while sucking. Once you think the coil is ready and you're getting enough flavor and clouds. Fire it up properly and take long and yummy puffs :)

Have fun and happy vaping :)

MSK421

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Welcome to forum

I'll try to answer some of your questions but others will come along and add to/dispute the same questions.
Fasttech for hardware. Chinese company/long shipping wait (14-21+ days). Buy only "in stock" goods
Mister e liquid usually shipped next day, product excellent. Great tobacco line, fruits and baked
goods. Made to order thus steep time needed (7+days). Sample box available.
Nautilus series tanks gives great flavor with different "drop in" coil options including any of the tritron mini coils.
ALWAYS Prime coils! Period! Place drops on e liquid on all exposed cotton/wick material. Install in/on deck, fill tank and wait about 10-15 min. Do not "fire" unprimed coils this burns wick material leaving a burnt/bad taste until coil changed.
This is who/what I used. I've been smoke free for 4+ years.
Do your due diligence ie. read reviews/forum comments for any and all products and companies your interested before you buy.

Good luck with your journey

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome.

I for one am pleased you ordered a Joyetech AIO even if it's only a temporary rig.

Blu are a greedy evil tobacco company, partly responsible for 72,000,000 people in Europe now being limited to what they can buy because of regulation - so you can imagine what we all think of Blu. :nah:

Even today, they dream of fooling the UK public into believing their own marketing lines such as "award winning e-cigs" and "the perfect vape" and "delivering a superior vaping experience"
Pathetic.

To call AER an old product would be being kind... technology from 2013 and e-liquid at extortionate prices.
One day these companies will disappear, hopefully along with Vaporfi, V2 and Apollo.
It's been a jungle out there since day one and ripping people off has become very much the normal way of things. The community does nothing... apart from a few rogue soldiers. Most reviews are fake and exist to make money.

So - as most new vapers soon discover; there are two worlds out there. The world of the big brands and the world where everything is cheaper, better and more effective.

a 1.5ohm coil in the AIO will be a lackluster vape with no flavor. It's designed for the 0.6ohm coil, but if you want to pretend it's a $4.99 gas station disposable, give it a go. :eek:

(ouch... that was harsh)

What else can I add. A modern device with the appropriate coil choice might vape at 15, 20, 35, 40 watts of power, or more, which is 3 or 4 or even 8 (!) times more power than what the pioneers of vaping had to endure.
We quit on 18mg or sometimes 24mg. Some folk 36mg.

These days, people are persuaded to start with powerful box mods and huge tanks (because it suits the liquid vendors to a point) and then 12/24mg becomes kind of irrelevant.

Your eGo AIO will vape at 22-24 watts. You don't want high strength liquid, but also bear in mind it's not like a total cloud machine. 6mg would be the middle choice i.m.o.

Good luck. :)

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
I wanted to thank you guys for all the information on the forum. The vaping world can be overwhelming, but after reading the forum for a few days I'm starting to get the hang of it.

While waiting for an EGO Aio I ordered (vaping.com is being a bit slow shipping it!), I've been using disposables: I've tried Blu, aer, and Square XL.

I thought the Blu (tobacco flavor) was a good introduction to vaping. The taste was pleasant, and the build quality and form factor of the device was cool. It lasted until Friday night.

aer was a complete ripoff, it only lasted half an hour. Stay away from this brand.

Well, the good news is that if you like the Blu you're going to _love_ better equipment. I haven't seen what Blu is offering lately, but I feel kind of safe saying it's still pretty sub-par. Your vaping experience is going to be a lot better once you get some decent equipment.

I'm really looking forward getting the EGO Aio and start trying different eliquids. I like how it looks, and how simple it is, that's what made me decide for it as a newbie device.

- There are many online sellers, which are the most trust-worthy and fast ones?

As you said, there are many- I've had almost universally good experiences ordering from dozens of vendors. One vendor, who I won't name here, has been a real PITA (not intentionally I'm sure- I think they are likely struggling.) But that's out of dozens of orders. A couple I can recommend from experience are eciggity (wow the shipping is fast from Hawaii,) NWVapes, Rocky Mountain Vapor... but there are plenty of other companies who are just as good.

This is really a matter of taste, but you should at least be aware that you can mix your own juice, using the same ingredients most commercial juice vendors use (and often better ones) for less than 10% of what commercial juice costs.

- I should prime the EGO Aio included coil before using it, right? Does the process consist in putting some eliquid on it, and pressing the button for some seconds without dragging?

Get some juice into the wicking material, let it soak in for a minute or so, and then start vaping at very low wattage/voltage. Gradually up the power, keeping the wick wet, for another few minutes until you hit your desired power level.

It's a good idea to prime coils, but honestly if you just fill your tank and let it sit for 15-20 minutes before using it you'll be OK.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I think I made a mistake regarding the liquid, I ordered 18mg ones. I'll try changing the order to 6mg.

If you can't change the order, try adding a few bottles of the same flavours with no nicotine. Then you can use them to dilute the 18 mg/ml ones.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
If you can't change the order, try adding a few bottles of the same flavours with no nicotine. Then you can use them to dilute the 18 mg/ml ones.

Yep- and even if you're not going to do the DIY thing seriously it's not a bad idea to have some PG, VG, and high concentration nic on hand. That way you can doctor juice as needed.

Reactions: AnthonyYann

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
Great idea! Thanks.

Regarding eLiquids, I've not tried many, but I've enjoyed the tobacco flavors.

From my snuss experience, I think I'll dig, tobacco, minty, and salty favors. I'm not very interested in sweet flavors such as fruit or desert. One thing I want to try is liquorice, I saw the Vape Dudes have it, has anybody tried it?

Well, juice carries some "flavors" (aromas, really) better than it does others. It's pretty hard to get salt to come across as salt in juice- you can add saline to juice but what you get from it isn't really salt, and my advice would be to stay away from it, tbh. I say that as someone who _loves_ briny sour foods. I wish it were possible to make a good dill pickle juice, but as far as I can tell it isn't possible.

You should keep an open mind about juice- when I first vaped, many moons ago in vape years, I thought that I was going to _have_ to have juice that tasted like tobacco to be satisfied. Back then NETs were still a pretty exotic thing, and the tobaccos I tried were these awful artificial Chinese concoctions- there was one in particular that was literally the worst thing I have ever tasted. I had to go rinse my mouth after vaping a drop of it, and it lingered in my sinuses long enough to make me a very unhappy camper.

So I wound up vaping fruits, etc., from necessity. I mean, how much can you mess up a berry flavor, right? (The answer turns out to be "quite a lot more than you would expect.") And I came to like them. I'm not, when it comes to food, someone who eats sweet things much- like I said, I prefer salty and sour to sweet. But, while I don't like the insanely over-sweetened commercial juices I am pretty happy mixing a berry profile for myself, or a syrupy lemonade, or both in one juice. I wouldn't have expected that to be the case, so... keep an open mind. It might turn out that what you like in juice is not what you expect.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
From my snuss experience, I think I'll dig, tobacco, minty, and salty favors. I'm not very interested in sweet flavors such as fruit or desert. One thing I want to try is liquorice, I saw the Vape Dudes have it, has anybody tried it?

I vaped a lot of licourice type vapes. Tobacco/licourice particularly.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
Since you are located in the USA, don't order from China unless you are ordering a ton of hardware. It isn't worth the couple bucks you'll save . There are plenty of great on-line stores here. Juice is going to have to be an experiment. When I first got started I ordered small amounts from lots of different places until I found a few vendors I really like. Takes some time. With vaping, the journey is half the fun.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
- There are many online sellers, which are the most trust-worthy and fast ones
Yes, there are tons of on line sellers. For most trust - worthy and fast, see:
Forum Suppliers | E-Cigarette Forum
Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons
Can't help with vendors, I DIY. But, you might take a trip to your local B&M vape shop and sample flavors to determine types you like.
- I feel that I will prefer the drag and feel of the Clapton 1.5 ohm coils, and I've read that those are compatible with the EGO Aio, where can I order then online? I've Googled around without much success.
Single 1.5 ohms good selection. Great taste and won't break the bank. As to Clapton, that's a custom coil. Not a good idea to start out with.
I should prime the EGO Aio included coil before using it, right? Does the process consist in putting some eliquid on it, and pressing the button for some seconds without dragging?
You just want to make sure your wick is saturated with e-juice before you fire it.
Please read below, it will answer a lot of your yet thought of questions:
vapetown
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
http://guidetovaping.com/category/e-cig-beginner/
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

ShannonA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Tyler, Tx
Great idea! Thanks.

Regarding eLiquids, I've not tried many, but I've enjoyed the tobacco flavors.

If you like flavored tobacco at all (think pipes and/or cigars) Vermillion River has a Kentucky premium line that is very good. I believe Halo is known to be very good for tobacco and menthol flavors also. Both vendors are listed here just click forum suppliers at the top.

I think you'll like the AIO for a starter unit.

AnthonyYann

Jun 11, 2017
Thanks everybody for the continued advice! Still waiting for my AIO. (It's a bit misleading that vaping.com advertises 1-day shipping, and I ordered "in stock" items last Friday and it hasn't really shipped yet.)

@go_player: Thanks for the tips! I'll keep an open mind about flavors! @ShannonA: I'll try those brands, they seem promising! @djsvapour: Which licorice brands do you recommend?

@BrotherBob: What's the difference between a normal 1.5 ohm and a custom one like the Clapton? What are examples of normal 1.5 ohm coils?

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Hi Anthony & welcome
Lots of good advice and suggestions above so I'll only suggest for eliquids to go wild with their sample sizes before investing in bigger bottles. What tastes good today won't necessarily taste good tomorrow so don't stock up until you are sure. Also try out various vendors as there are lots of different tasting juices out there. Vape Wild is a good starting place.

For hardware VaporDNA is a good vendor and "DNA10" will take 10% off their prices. I believe they are very trustworthy and respond quickly and well to any problems. Not always the best in price but they are normally competitive and they ship quickly.

Reactions: AnthonyYann

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Understood. In any case, it feels like the 0.6 ohm coil coming with the AIO is also quite advanced, and in that regard even an 1.5 Clapton would make it more newbie friendly?

Additional question: which PG/VG ratio is recommended for the AIO? I see that 80/20 seems quite common.

The liquid I ordered is 50/50.

50/50 should be good. I am less sure about using a 1.5ohm Clapton. I wouldn't expect much in the way of vapor at 9 watts of power.

When you said 80/20, do you mean 80% PG or VG .... 80% PG is old-style e-liquid....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread