Scottish/Swedish Roll-Wick-ed...cotton in an RDA...Puff count

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
As with all my posts. Im not here trying to brag, bully, or guess. All my threads Ive posted have taken me many hours to create. Word of mouth. That's what my goal here is.

Learn the Scottish Roll. Read on. Enjoy.

Here goes nutn! I say that. Because there are so many variables. On how many "puffs" you will get while dripping an rda. Sub-ohms. Nicotine content. VG/PG bases. The list goes on and on. But I just had to share my experience. I went from 5 puffs, to 36 puffs. By learning how to wick cotton.

IMG_1785 (480x640).jpg

Above photo. This is my set up. A doge RDA, with dual.85 Clapton pre-fabricated by DemonKiller. Comes out .56 ohms. I started with plain cotton balls. Recently, after watching videos and reading. A lot. I bought some Japanese organic cotton. Wow. What an upgrade from cotton balls.

IMG_1764 (480x640).jpg

Above photo. Just had to add this pic. Because I took the sticker off the center of this DemonKiller Pack of coils ($5) and it makes a decent building block. Gr8 coils. Awesome container.

IMG_1789 (600x800).jpg

Above photo. Not only have I learned the Scottish Roll works. From my reading....not everything is in a video....Before I bend my cotton, I wet it with e-juice. Then I put my dental pick, or screwdriver, under the wet cotton. As I "bend" the cotton down into the build deck/juice well. This "round" bend, wet, around the tool. Keeps the cotton fibers from breaking, or bending at a 90 degree sharp angle. This lets the e-juice flow. Also note, you can see my center positive post. And you can clearly see through the wicks on each side. This creates better air flow.

IMG_1851 (480x640).jpg

Above photo. Here is whats left of the e-juice after 20 puffs. Still moist. And chucking clouds. Note. My cotton wick here is a bit off center. Or cut short. On this coil, my wick is cut the right length. But on one side it touches the bottom of the well. And on the other side of the wick, its short. Not long enough to wick up the juice from the well on the right side. And too long on the left side, so that the cotton fibers are stuck "plugged" on the bottom. Hasty rookie move....lol. On my behalf. This was my first successful "wick". Been over
seven days. Still haven't burnt the cotton. It just turns white. Dry. And then I know when to add more juice. Life is gr8 !

IMG_1855 (480x640).jpg

Just another pix of how I think air should flow through an RDA. After all, heating the coil, wick, and juice. Is just one aspect of "the cloud". Your inhale. Or exhale if you prefer to cool you coils that way, is the other aspect of creating "smoke" "clouds". Heat, firing your mod. And Airflow! Sucking your mod. When you perfect, your suck, while you pull the trigger. Man o Woman. Its sweet. You can dial in the taste.

IMG_1858 (480x640).jpg

Above photo. You will just have to trust me, and my puff counter. For me. 37 puffs is at least 1 hour. Makes dripping much more enjoyable for all. As you can see. the bottom coil here has a dry wick. The top wick still looks wet. So I have some work to do if I want it purrrrfect. Ummmmmm no. Think Ill just take another puff. For Real. Lets Vape. Enjoy!

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Quite the write up. You want to go one better than Japanese cotton? Try rayon (cellucotton) and I'm sure you will be impressed. It wicks more efficiently, improved anti-leaking, not as prone to scorching, tastes better (in my opinion), and no more Scottish or other rolls.

To give you a for-instance I was using JC in my Crown 1 RBA's but found they were all leaking so I went with the suggested technique of leaving the tails long and folding them over in front of the juice holes. It worked to prevent the leaking but with all that wicking so tightly packed the cotton wouldn't wick efficiently and chain vaping and/or higher power would lead to dry hits. Using rayon I was able to revert back to simply trimming the tails to the bottom of the juice wells with no leaking and no dry hits.

You can buy small qty's of it from Ebay to test before committing yourself to buying 40 feet or more. It is cheap anyway. Just make sure you are buying rayon and not ordinary cotton.

Last edited:

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Nice post, but you missed stating how you actually vape.. small puffs, wattage used, etc. (while coil type and size also matters, it's only part of the calculation) as these will greatly affect how many puffs you get, a cloud chaser for example would be lucky to get pass 3-4 massive clouds regardless of wicking approach, it's just a question of quantities for liquid being used in a single puff and how much the RDA can actually hold. (just physics)

I've seen some people that uses very little wick (and none at the bottom) and pool so much liquid that it's touching the bottom of the coils, but they can't tilt it whatsoever at that point. The main goal is to pad the bottom of the RDA to hold the liquid in space, but using as little material as possible as it creates a faster wicking effect while ensuring that the wick touches the coil in all it's length/area. But again, this depends greatly on the type of vaping that one does.

It's nice that you've discovered how different wicking techniques can help, personally, I have never used cotton balls with sub-ohming, I've always used Japanese cotton pads and I always did the scottish roll approach (before it was called that) or Cotton Bacon v2. I recently discovered "Strange Wicks" (hemp fiber) that has been an interesting wick.

Reactions: coffinnail

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
Quite the write up. You want to go one better than Japanese cotton? Try rayon (cellucotton) and I'm sure you will be impressed. It wicks more efficiently, improved anti-leaking, not as prone to scorching, tastes better (in my opinion), and no more Scottish or other rolls.

To give you a for-instance I was using JC in my Crown 1 RBA's but found they were all leaking so I went with the suggested technique of leaving the tails long and folding them over in front of the juice holes. It worked to prevent the leaking but with all that wicking so tightly packed the cotton wouldn't wick efficiently and chain vaping and/or higher power would lead to dry hits. Using rayon I was able to revert back to simply trimming the tails to the bottom of the juice wells with no leaking and no dry hits.

You can buy small qty's of it from Ebay to test before committing yourself to buying 40 feet or more. It is cheap anyway. Just make sure you are buying rayon and not ordinary cotton.
I looked that up. Rayon Wick. Nothing bad to say about it. I just couldn't find very many reviews about it. Actually. I think your the only person that has said anything I would trust. I was only concerned about Rayon being a synthetic. But with todays technologies. Who know whats next. Thank you for the tip. Good to know. I will definitely be trying out some Rayon wick.

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
Nice post, but you missed stating how you actually vape.. small puffs, wattage used, etc. (while coil type and size also matters, it's only part of the calculation) as these will greatly affect how many puffs you get, a cloud chaser for example would be lucky to get pass 3-4 massive clouds regardless of wicking approach, it's just a question of quantities for liquid being used in a single puff and how much the RDA can actually hold. (just physics)
50.9 Watts used. Good point. On my post. Forgetting to post my wattage. I found anywhere between 50 and 75 watts is the best for me at 18mg nicotine. In this test. I was at 50.9 watts. One of my pix shows it. But I didn't type that in. So. Thx. I hate when Im on a site, cant see a pix unless Im logged in. And don't catch those little "important" tid bits. E-juice is Central Vapors Green Apple concentrate at 15%. VG 70%. I have my setting for ramp-up, at hard. Meaning this mod fires fast, at this setting. I have big lungs. Doctors have to take 2 x-rays to capture my lungs in an image. The VA said I have a huge lung capacity. So. With that said. I hit it hard. 75 watts is what I like. But I tame it down to 50 watts and draw a direct lung hit. And, to emphasize on your statement about "3-4" massive clouds regardless of wicking approach. Well said. And so true. But, Im vaping high mg nicotine. I think if I turned my mod up to 220 watts. With proper batteries of course. My toes would tingle, and I would just pass out. Take a dirt nap. lol.... Thanks brother. For helping me out. This "vaping" is a gr8 hobby. And has helped me quit smoking analogs. Winston Lights. Two packs a day. For 20 years. Wow. I quit smoking. Smoking doesnt even come close to how I enjoy vaping. Thank You Gentlemen.

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
Reading my thread. I notice I forgot to state an important fact. Cotton balls will burn and deteriorate quickly. Cotton pads sold explicitly for vaping, flows juice, and holds up better. No matter how you use it. "Vape" cotton, aka cotton bacon, or overseas organic. Is much better than a cotton ball. The Scottish roll is just a better way of using good cotton pads. It works. Just like the video. Peace. Vape. Live.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Reading my thread. I notice I forgot to state an important fact. Cotton balls will burn and deteriorate quickly. Cotton pads sold explicitly for vaping, flows juice, and holds up better.
Say what now? Who told you cotton pads were "explicitly for vaping"? These things come from the beauty shop...

+1 more on the rayon converts. I went to the Sally's and got several lifetimes' worth (the 3lbs box of Graham CelluCotton which is about 900ft, and thick enough to make 2-4 wicks from a section) for eighteen bucks. I do have a big bag of KGD cotton pads too, but I hardly ever use 'em.

(And I still think Cotton Bacon is just unrolled cotton balls in a ziplock bag...)

coffinnail

Feb 18, 2017
CA,United States
Say what now? Who told you cotton pads were "explicitly for vaping"? These things come from the beauty shop...

+1 more on the rayon converts. I went to the Sally's and got several lifetimes' worth (the 3lbs box of Graham CelluCotton which is about 900ft, and thick enough to make 2-4 wicks from a section) for eighteen bucks. I do have a big bag of KGD cotton pads too, but I hardly ever use 'em.

(And I still think Cotton Bacon is just unrolled cotton balls in a ziplock bag...)
Man. You all were right. When you said this forum is full of knowledgable people. I haven't heard of the cotton pads at Sally's. Makes sense. I did try some medical pads, meant for large wounds. A lot work. But they did ok. These cotton bandages had ribs on them, and I had to cut them out to get to the fluffy pad part.

I ordered some cotton pads, from a site. They looked re-packaged. And were much smaller than KGD or branded cotton pads. The package I got with the smaller square pads that looked re-packaged, came in a blank zip-lock type bag. Id bet these are from Sally's or something similar. So guess what I meant about the explicitly for vaping, is the branded type.

Can hardly wait to try this Rayon wick. Graham CelluCotton. Sweet deal. Thanks for the tip.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Man. You all were right. When you said this forum is full of knowledgable people. I haven't heard of the cotton pads at Sally's. Makes sense. I did try some medical pads, meant for large wounds. A lot work. But they did ok. These cotton bandages had ribs on them, and I had to cut them out to get to the fluffy pad part.

I ordered some cotton pads, from a site. They looked re-packaged. And were much smaller than KGD or branded cotton pads. The package I got with the smaller square pads that looked re-packaged, came in a blank zip-lock type bag. Id bet these are from Sally's or something similar. So guess what I meant about the explicitly for vaping, is the branded type.

Can hardly wait to try this Rayon wick. Graham CelluCotton. Sweet deal. Thanks for the tip.

The pads thing, it's more about the cotton being organic and non-bleached (no chemical processing and as clean as possible).

I tried a few things of cotton that weren't marked as organic, or part of something else, and the difference was fairly huge.. they wicked fine but you could taste the chemicals, it was simply horrible.

Local stores tend to sell the small 5/10 pad packages as they can make a serious markup on those. I bought a pack of 200 (if I remember right) on FastTech last year. At the rate I use it, I should have enough for the next 20 years.

I know many think that you need to remove the "skin" and only use the middle cotton, but that's just a waste... doing the Scottish approach, you just pull the "skin" out to space the fibers, roll it and it works/wicks just great.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I've used regular organic/Japanese cotton and also Rayon.

Fortunately, much of my cotton has come free when people buy bulk amounts from vendors who are selling it not realizing the vape factor. :)

I can't see myself ever getting into specific 'vaping' cotton... cotton doesn't last (in a good state) for very long so extra expense is not my kind of thing. Like @Imfallen_Angel , the only cotton I did buy was an unnecessarily large pack from China. Pay for 10 pads, get 200.
Better than doing the dance of insane profit margin with a vape co.

Rayon is good b.t.w.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I looked that up. Rayon Wick. Nothing bad to say about it. I just couldn't find very many reviews about it. Actually. I think your the only person that has said anything I would trust. I was only concerned about Rayon being a synthetic. But with todays technologies. Who know whats next. Thank you for the tip. Good to know. I will definitely be trying out some Rayon wick.
Been vaping rayon about 1.5 years and love it. I have done side by side comparisons many times and at least imo, rayon is better

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl

I've seen some people that uses very little wick (and none at the bottom) and pool so much liquid that it's touching the bottom of the coils, but they can't tilt it whatsoever at that point. The main goal is to pad the bottom of the RDA to hold the liquid in space, but using as little material as possible as it creates a faster wicking effect while ensuring that the wick touches the coil in all it's length/area. But again, this depends greatly on the type of vaping that one does.

It's nice that you've discovered how different wicking techniques can help, personally, I have never used cotton balls with sub-ohming, I've always used Japanese cotton pads and I always did the scottish roll approach (before it was called that) or Cotton Bacon v2. I recently discovered "Strange Wicks" (hemp fiber) that has been an interesting wick.
A few years back hemp was the thing, unfortunately there were like slivers of wood or maybe they were big fibrous strands that couldn't be vaped, then you had to boil it a few times. It was a pain but it kind of was worth it. It had a unique flavor and wicked really good. I think it was called degumped hemp. Is this strange wicks anything like this?

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
KGD is the best IMO. To be fair scottish wick is massively better then just using the pad as is. Rayon and KGD I find very hard to tell the difference but every other cotton I tried Rayon was much better. Muji repacks have a gross break in period that Rayon, KGD and the super expensive stuff don't have. Haven't tried PUFF I'll throw in a small pack next FT order... $9.99 for 200 is CHEAP.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Cotton Bacon V2 is really good too but as others said I think it is just KGD they pre cut in strips and scottish wick for you. Good for saving time but it's expensive in comparison. The bag lasts for ages so it may be worth the extra $2.
I've had my small bag of CB v2 for at least a year and a half and used maybe a tenth of it, and that's using it more times that I can remember. So, at less than 10$ for a bag, it's not close to being a bad or expensive purchase.

I just find it funny and sad when I watch any building videos and the people always use and waste about 10 times than they need, it's just a terrible approach to show newbies that might think that you need to cut off 3 inches of wick on each side instead of pulling until you have the correct length and cut it there then use the same roll/piece for the other side.

In the last two years, I've probably "wasted" (by cutting the edges and making adjustments) about a single cotton ball's worth.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
A few years back hemp was the thing, unfortunately there were like slivers of wood or maybe they were big fibrous strands that couldn't be vaped, then you had to boil it a few times. It was a pain but it kind of was worth it. It had a unique flavor and wicked really good. I think it was called degumped hemp. Is this strange wicks anything like this?

There's very small bits in it, but easily taken out, but even then, they aren't an issue if left in. It's probably been thoroughly cleaned as it's good to go as is, the "funny" taste is no worse than cotton and goes away after a few minutes/puffs.

The hard part with it is that you have to know how to handle it, work it, stretch it, align it, but aside tiny short bits, any decent piece/strands can be reworked into a mass can be used again, so there's very little waste.

The biggest difference is that it doesn't expand like cotton, so for some tanks/RTAs it needs to be taken in consideration accordingly to the liquid feed.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
There's very small bits in it, but easily taken out, but even then, they aren't an issue if left in. It's probably been thoroughly cleaned as it's good to go as is, the "funny" taste is no worse than cotton and goes away after a few minutes/puffs.

The hard part with it is that you have to know how to handle it, work it, stretch it, align it, but aside tiny short bits, any decent piece/strands can be reworked into a mass can be used again, so there's very little waste.

The biggest difference is that it doesn't expand like cotton, so for some tanks/RTAs it needs to be taken in consideration accordingly to the liquid feed.
Sounds like maybe the same stuff but all cleaned and ready to go. The hemp I use to use was a beige color

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread