Search fail: carto punching

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen tips for punching/notching cartos for tank mods, I'm sure of it. But I can't find them today. I give up. I would like to humbly request a variety of methods, including cheap and simple to complicated and specialized. I don't have a workshop or a lot of tools, but my collection is always growing, so please share your methods :)

Lambch3p

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Sunny Tampa Florida
I just use a hammer and a small nail to punch a hole in the side of the carto I wanted to use. I taped the carto to my cutting board and carefully tapped the nail into the side. It took a few minutes but worked great. I don't have a house full of tools either so sometimes you have to get creative with what you have. :)

I just use a hammer and a small nail to punch a hole in the side of the carto I wanted to use. I taped the carto to my cutting board and carefully tapped the nail into the side. It took a few minutes but worked great. I don't have a house full of tools either so sometimes you have to get creative with what you have. :)

Ooooh, taping to a cutting board sounds like a good idea. I tried the hammer and nail method last night, but came just short of getting it to work. Not having to hold the little sucker still might make the difference! :)

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I use a pair of vice grips to hold the carto, with carto wrapped in a small bit of paper towel. They don't have to be ultra tight -- I can slide the carto/towel in and out of the grips.

For me, dremel with cutting wheel, cutting a slot, is fastest/easiest/cleanest. It'll vary, depending on the particular tank, but I find a single slit cut at about 1/3" up from the bottom of the carto does well. The slit is cut horizontal, parallel to the bottom edge of the carto. I cut mine so that the final opening is about 1/8" side-to-side (I can see that much filler).

After one or two tries (use an old, beat, carto, for experimenting), it becomes really fast, no dents, just the slot.

^that's the method i plan to graduate to. can't figure out how to get a decent dremel into the budget, and i don't want to get stuck with a cheap 1-speed dremel, ya know?

question about the book method listed above: does the book provide enough support?? i found i had trouble using a carpeted floor and had to switch to tile, so i'm having trouble imaging the book working

efirdj

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2011
Clover, SC
There is another threaded floating around the boards here where a pair of wire strippers/crimpers are used to punch the holes. I had a pair made by Klein Tools that works wonders, though I havent put a tank together for it yet. The teeth that are in the strippers between each gauge size need to be kind of sharp. Squeeze until it leave a good defined dent without smashing the casing, flip the carto over and squeeze again. This time it should puncture the case, no warped carto, perfectly punched holes, no expensive jig, no worries of hitting a thumb or punching a nail into the filler.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
I bought DW a Dremel 300 kit for Xmas, she was thinking of doing some artsy craftsy wood working. She never bothered learning to use it, so it's parked on my workbench in the basement. It more than paid for itself when instead of buying a $100 replacement JennAire fan switch I picked up a $10 switch and used a grinder bit to adjust the plate it fit into slightly :)

rstreet55

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2011
NC
I tried using a hammer and nail. It was too frustrating trying to line it up and it would bend the carto badly. I decided to try using a Self Piercing Valve. It is so easy and it works beautifully. The holes are punched the perfect diameter for what you want to accomplish. I got mine at Ace for $6. You simply line up the carto to where you want the hole punched, tighten the clamp, then turn the valve until you hear it punch the hole. Then turn it 180 and do it again for a 2nd hole. It takes not even a minute to punch my cartos now. It is simply the easiest way to punch your own cartos.

zzooti

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2011
Brunswick, Maine
can't figure out how to get a decent dremel into the budget, and i don't want to get stuck with a cheap 1-speed dremel, ya know?

Don't be afraid of an off brand knockoff; I got one many years ago, cost maybe $10, and its outlasted my Dremel brand tool (motor still works on the Dremel but variable speed switch is dead)

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina

Tersur

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2011
Bfe Kentucky