Searching for lost throat hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted G

Apr 11, 2012
Athens, Greece
Hello to all forum members.... I have been vaping for almost 6 years now but I have never considered vaping as a full-time hobby. Thus I usually lurk around forums when searching for opinions and soultions to the problems I have....I even had forgotten I was registered in this forum up untill now when I tried to re-register. lol.
Now that the intro is over...I'll get to my issue - question, please bare with me.

I had been vaping all these years with a rebuildable tank system which was like the old cartomizers (remember those? lol). A super tiny coil had to be placed together with silica wick inside a ceramic and all that construction inside a "tube" which would then fit in a tank of liquid
(diver v2 by Atmistique for those wanting to know). Its coils demanded non-resistance and resistance wires, was bothersome to set up, and I could only use silica wick - that was the nature of the thing. My coils usually ended up around 1.5 - 1.7 ohms and the vapor production was ok-ish but I really enjoyed the throat hit. Im was using 6mg/ml nicotine juices with 75% PG - 25 % VG. I am a strictly MTL vaper and I dont care about clouds as much as I care about throat hit with the lowest nicotine possible.

When organic cotton came, I knew at some point I'd want to "ditch" my old atomizer and the slica wicks, I dunno I just feel cotton is more suitable as material and less risky as far as what we inhale goes - plus the silica wick could never achieve the wicking properties of cotton.

So I decided to take the plunge but I faced another problem - most of current RTAs are made for lung vapers - huge airflows and huge airhole below the coil - this means, in case you havent tried, that even if you "close" the adjustable airflows in the bottom of the tanks for MTL, that the velocity of the incoming air is too low to keep the coil in a efficient temperature - what you end up with when trying to vape MTL with these tanks is a too-hot wire (coil) making the whole thing completely unsuitable to vape - you can literally taste the metal of the wire.

What I did find out though is that Kanger's Subtank was efficient enough - I could MTL with its RBA and the smallest airflow setting. BUT...I faced another problem: I completely "lost" the throat hit I used to have with my old silica wick atomizer.
To get things in perspective, I used to vape at 1.5 ohms, around 10 - 12 watts and 6mg/ml juice.....and with the Subtank I went to 0.6 ohms, 25 watts and the same liquid and even though I feel the vapor "hitting" (burning sensation) my mouth, there is absolutely no throat hit.
I thought oh well....different atomizer, thats the nature of it.
I then tried all sorts of tanks which would all fail for MTL vaping due to the reason I explained above (I understood later) and then I ended up, after a lot of search to narrow down my options to either a Kayfun or an Expromizer.

I went with the second option and specifically, Expromizer v2.1
Now...I ve tried all sorts of set ups, and all sorts of ohms - from 0.5 to 1.5, spaced vs contact coils, I ever upped my nicotine in my juices to 8mg/ml. Still cant get even the slightest of throat hit (well only a few hits in the morning before coffee lol). I kinda found the atomizer's sweet spot (judging from the vapor production and taste) around 1 - 1.2 ohms (which is to be expected I guess for this style of RBAs) but still.....zero throat hit. Setting it up with subohm (0.7 - 0.8) gives me a hotter vape but still....zero throat hit. I tried with 29 AWG, 28 AWG, 26AWG Kanthal wire...still zero TH. I tried placing the coil close to the air hole, away from the airhole....nada.

I apolgize for the long post but I had to make clear my issue:
So is there any way, to make a given atomizer provide more throat hit?
Im buffled as to why this happens - at first I thought it was the nature of cotton wicks, but I tried a clone Kayfun Lite the other day from a guy with 6mg/ml and 70%VG (which as we all know should provide less TH than my PG-based liquid) and it was heavenly.
Am I missing something obvious here in my coil builds or is it what it is, and I just need to get a kayfun?

Thanks and again sorry for the long post.

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Thanks for the suggestion Izan. Truth is....I actually wanted to be freed from NR wires.
I posted this thread in "coil builds" in a desperate thought that someone might come up with a build that is proven to give more TH.

Thanks anyway.

T,
You basically tried every trick...time to double your nic.
Flavourart also sells a throathit enhancer called "Flash" that you might want to try.
Also try to find some Diablo Loco or Diablo Poco from Decadent vapours...they are capsican extracts. (use caution)
Good luck
I

Last edited:

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I use to vape on 14mm rda's a few years back and any slight adjustment to airflow or coil placement was greatly felt, you could get extra TH by aiming your airhole at one end of the coil where the coil and wick joined.

If i were you and i was vaping at 12w i would buy an rta with a very small chamber and use something like 32 or 30g wire and maybe also try some rayon wick.

The trouble with vaping bigger rda's(bigger chambers) with lower gauge wire and higher power is that you kind of spoil yourself and then when you try to go back to how you vaped it doesnt quite work for you, or atleast it didnt for me, i used to vape like you but now i vape anything from 40w to over 150w with 22mm rda's

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted G

Rudeboy615

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2016
South Florida
I need at least 12mg to get a good throat hit (6mg I get no hit and I don't enjoy the pg scratchy throat hit). Just tried building my subtank mini again for mtl, vertical and horizontal 2mm - 3mm id, but the airflow just sucks even setting it up between the two smaller holes for tightest setting. The throat hit is all over the place. Definitely need the right tank to get that tight precise throat hit. Just seen a pbusardo review for the new kayfun5 and he didn't recommend it fur mtl. They've increased the chimney size from 2.1mm to 3+mm and the stock air holes are too airy, although they will provide a tighter airflow setting for purchase.

Reactions: Ted G

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
I think you are correct when you said add more nic, when I went to 12mg from 18mg, I found the TH was a lot less. And, I vaped alot more. Which was not satisfying, one can not vape every 5 mins. So, back up to 20mg, and I can go a few hours with out vaping. TH for me is a big issue, it helps me stay vaping. That being said, adding some liquor, 1% to a tank is awesome, but for me a little smelly. I loved the taste of some rums. But, I had to give it up as I got complaints from the smell. Good luck.

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread