Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
I use 20mg/ml liquid. I measure 20 drops/ml. I measure 2puffs/drop. I completely inhale each puff. As I exhale the vapor, any remaining ingredients are diluted/dissipated in the environment, and the vapor disappears. Let's hypothesize that half of the nicotine that I inhale is retained and I exhale the other half. This works out to .25mg of nicotine in the exhale. Now, theoretically, if I exhale the entire puff directly into your mouth and, you inhale, you have .25mg of nicotine. If you're standing, say, within 3 feet of me and inhale, let's say 1/10 of the exhaled vapor, you're inhaling .025mg of nicotine.

These are are liberal, measurements. This is just a general idea of the threat of harm. It is miniscule. Let's not forget that although nicotine is addictive and does pose a threat to people with high blood pressure, nicotine is not always a bad thing. It does produce benefit, also.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
No such thing as harm from 2nd hand nicotine. Even in cigarettes the harmful effects of 2nd hand smoke never came from nicotine, it came from the chemicals and tar. Not to mention the combustion of a cigarette, nicotine is as deadly as caffeine. Highly addictive not at all deadly.

Last edited:

elmattias

Resident Miyagi
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
N'awlinz
nicotine is actually pretty deadly
even more so than other alkaloids such as {MODERATED}

now, whether or not you can get any significant amount from second hand vape is another issue entirely

but as for nicotine itself, it toxicity level is comparatively dangerous

nicotine as a pure substance yes, nicotine as we use it, no.

nicotine levels in electronic cigarettes are about as harmful as coffee, however if you are a DIYer, those base nic levels can be quite toxic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
This is taken from some posts I made in a thread about having newborns and vaping.

Having a newborn in the house, no matter how much I feel about the safety of vaping, I just wanted to check on something. My wife works in management/administration at the big hospital in Detroit and they have recently started a "No Nicotine" policy (notice the wording is not "No Smoking.") Because my wife has access to certain info, she found out someone was disputing the results of their Cotinine test because that person was not a smoker, but they failed the test. Supposedly, the person argued, he/she lived with a smoker and that was the extent of his/her nicotine exposure. It has yet to be resolved, but I got to wondering about second-hand vapor--Second-hand vapor in close proximity and for extended periods..

I bought several Cotinine tests and decided to have my wife and I take the tests. I vape around her all the time, in closed rooms, next to each other on the couch, bed, in the car with the windows rolled up etc; I have been doing it like this for about 3 years. (*I don't vape around the baby in close quarters. Just because I choose not to, not necessarily because I am worried.)

Anyway, I won't go into the specifics of the test in any real scientific analysis of the urinalysis (because I can't! LOL), but I thought the "findings" were interesting.

test 1.jpg test 2.jpg

As it turns out, my test (with the one stripe) is a positive test for cotinine (nicotine exposure/usage--cotinine is a metabolite of nicotine and is a biomarker of exposure to nicotine) and my wife's test (with the two stripes) is a negative result for exposure/usage. This of course is not a GC-MS test, but the results are good enough for me.

To say that I was happy is an understatement. It's not that I thought differently, but sometimes you got to see for yourself.

I vape anywhere from 4+ mL a day with anywhere from 24 mg to 32 mg juices (normally 24 mg).

Just an FYI: The test I took, One Step Cotinine Test Device, is >99% in line with the leading commercial Cotinine test results for positive results and 96% in line with the commercial tests for negative results.

The sensitivity of the results for the test I took can detect 200 ng/mL = 0.2 mg /L = 0.0002 mg/mL

So, as far as vaping and second hand nicotine exposure, I would say that I am super thrilled to not be smoking and to have come to vaping a few years ago! What a great invention, vaping, to counterbalance one of the worst "inventions," cigarettes! LOL

My point in this is that nicotine exposure through second hand smoke can produce false-positives--positive reading from non-fisrthand usage--but false-positives did not occur from second-hand vapor. If I smoked around my wife the way I do with vaping, I'm almost positive that she would have gotten one stripe in her test.

Last edited:

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
This is taken from some posts I made in a thread about having newborns and vaping.

Having a newborn in the house, no matter how much I feel about the safety of vaping, I just wanted to check on something. My wife works in management/administration at the big hospital in Detroit and they have recently started a "No Nicotine" policy (notice the wording is not "No Smoking.") Because my wife has access to certain info, she found out someone was disputing the results of their Cotinine test because that person was not a smoker, but they failed the test. Supposedly, the person argued, he/she lived with a smoker and that was the extent of his/her nicotine exposure. It has yet to be resolved, but I got to wondering about second-hand vapor--Second-hand vapor in close proximity and for extended periods..

I bought several Cotinine tests and decided to have my wife and I take the tests. I vape around her all the time, in closed rooms, next to each other on the couch, bed, in the car with the windows rolled up etc; I have been doing it like this for about 3 years. (*I don't vape around the baby in close quarters. Just because I choose not to, not necessarily because I am worried.)

Anyway, I won't go into the specifics of the test in any real scientific analysis of the urinalysis (because I can't! LOL), but I thought the "findings" were interesting.

View attachment 216030 View attachment 216031

As it turns out, my test (with the one stripe) is a positive test for cotinine (nicotine exposure/usage--cotinine is a metabolite of nicotine and is a biomarker of exposure to nicotine) and my wife's test (with the two stripes) is a negative result for exposure/usage. This of course is not a GC-MS test, but the results are good enough for me.

To say that I was happy is an understatement. It's not that I thought differently, but sometimes you got to see for yourself.

I vape anywhere from 4+ mL a day with anywhere from 24 mg to 32 mg juices (normally 24 mg).

Just an FYI: The test I took, One Step Cotinine Test Device, is >99% in line with the leading commercial Cotinine test results for positive results and 96% in line with the commercial tests for negative results.

The sensitivity of the results for the test I took can detect 200 ng/mL = 0.2 mg /L = 0.0002 mg/mL

So, as far as vaping and second hand nicotine exposure, I would say that I am super thrilled to not be smoking and to have come to vaping a few years ago! What a great invention, vaping, to counterbalance one of the worst "inventions," cigarettes! LOL

My point in this is that nicotine exposure through second hand smoke can produce false-positives--positive reading from non-fisrthand usage--but false-positives did not occur from second-hand vapor. If I smoked around my wife the way I do with vaping, I'm almost positive that she would have gotten one stripe in her test.

Thank you Mann for showing conclusively what I have always believed. With that said, I do vape around my grandkids. They are thrilled that I have stopped smoking. While in the car with them, I do not vape huge plumes that will fill the car and I don't chain vape, which would also fill the car. It's called respectful vaping. There is no danger to them, they are seated in the back seat and what vapor is released does not travel to the back. Keep in mind that this is done on long drives, short trips (grocery etc) I really don't feel the need to vape anyway.

This will be debated until absolute studies are done. What Mr. Mann has shown is a small study but a study non the less.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
This is a conspiracy theory. There are masses of studies linking second hand smoke to increased risk, particularly of heart disease.

And this debate has been beaten to death already. The topic is secondhand vapor, not secondhand smoke. Yes, Haze brought it up but do we really need to Continue down that path?
;)

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Thank you Mann for showing conclusively what I have always believed. With that said, I do vape around my grandkids. They are thrilled that I have stopped smoking. While in the car with them, I do not vape huge plumes that will fill the car and I don't chain vape, which would also fill the car. It's called respectful vaping. There is no danger to them, they are seated in the back seat and what vapor is released does not travel to the back. Keep in mind that this is done on long drives, short trips (grocery etc) I really don't feel the need to vape anyway.

This will be debated until absolute studies are done. What Mr. Mann has shown is a small study but a study non the less.

I do vape around my little one, but not in closed quarters, i.e., the car with the windows rolled up--if I need to take a puff or two, I'll just roll the windows down. In the house, I am not worried. My wife doesn't even see the clouds anymore, well...:laugh: She does, but it's not a concern.

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
There have been at least two major studies since the thread quoted above of the so-called "second-hand vapor":

ClearStream Air Published! | ClearStream by FlavourArt

IVAQS Project

As someone else put it, you would have to exhale the vapor directly into their mouth in order for someone else to receive any measurable nicotine from exhaled vapor (and even then it wouldn't be enough to produce any type of effect).

Also, check the CASAA website at CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association (and join while you're there! :) ) for many other documents on this and other related topics.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^ I think I have a link is my blog as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread