"See Vera? Dress yourself up, you get taken out somewhere fun."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas
I took my Reo out to m local B&M. I hadn't been back in a while and wanted to see if they had anything new. They do have one nice juice flavor I can't get elsewhere, but at their prices I'd rather buy from AiV. I will say this there are a couple of guys there that really know their coils, and they really helped me wrap my head around the whole process. Mostly I go back to talk to those guys a bit and show them my progress on coils.

Well, I went in for a bottle of "Adventure Time" that I could almost describe as a strawberry and cream plus cotton candy but that's not it really. Lo and behold the guys were in today! (They hadn't been the last couple times I went in. I was worried they moved on.) I took my Reo Grand LP with a Catfish Mephisto (clone) and a good .3 Ohm build. Fresh wick and we were ready to go rub elbows with the (self proclaimed) movers and shakers of my little city's vape world. Now I don't think I'm a cloud chaser (Who am I kidding, I like big vape, I just care about flavor and heat too much to play with the big boys.) but these guys are and they always used to intimidate me with how much fog they could produce. My little beauty was keeping up with them. And they had never heard of Reos before. They did know "squonk," but the way they wanted to really see how the juice fed I think they hadn't ever really held one before.

My baby did me proud. She floored them. I feel like some Spanish bantam strutting about. These guys who were so many tiers above me in September didn't treat me as a greenhorn learning the ropes. I was an equal, if not kinda superior for bringing in something they hadn't seen before. It might seem like an odd thing to get excited about, but I did enjoy my moment. And maybe helped send some business Rob's way.

It's nice to feel cool every now and then. :vapor:

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Kewl Beans. We only have a few vape stores around my area. Had never been in one before, but about a month or so ago, decided to check em out. Neither one was very interested in the Reo, I was so bummed. But the guy at one was a real jerk, acted like he invented vaping, and the lady at the other was really nice, but was vaping on something that looked like a long ego. lol Oh well. Glad you were able to capture their interest! Maybe next time you go in they'll be squonkin on a Reo too! :)

Reactions: JC Okie

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
Vaping has really taken off in my neck of the woods (Central Florida). There are lots of vape shops around, some good, some not so good. I don't really go in any of them often; but every once in a while, I'll wander in one to check out drip tips, or just to see what's out there, out of general curiosity. I suppose it's different in various parts of the country, but around here, everybody seems to be into regulated devices and sub tanks. Last year, everybody was into tube mods and drippers. I've yet to run into anybody else who has actually seen a Reo, in the flesh, or was the least bit familiar with them. I imagine there are a few other Reonauts around. But they're probably like me. Elusive and well hidden, and don't go into vape shops much. No need to. There's nothing there that comes close to what we're using.

Reactions: Debadoo

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
My local B&M is pretty typical here in the UK, they mostly sell regulated mods, tanks and juice. Its a few weeks between visits for me as I only buy DIY juice and the occasional role of wire. The people behind the counter like my new REO, they appreciate the good design and build quality. Everyone that i have shown the mod to has liked both the idea of bottom feeding and the quality of the REO. Most of them are surprised at the amount of vapour my simple single coil cotton wicked setup will produce. Will they sell them, doubt it to be honest, they are making a fortune buying mods in from China and selling them on at twice the price. Most of the mods retail here for £30-£80 If or when the mod fails a few weeks or months down the line, they sell them another. Its not a business model I like, but it is effective, the owner has a Porshe parked outside!

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
It quite frankly annoys me at what some of the newer vape shops are doing. I get it that B&Ms have overhead expenses that may exceed those of some of the online businesses, and have to charge somewhat higher prices, to cover them. But c'mon! $1.50 to $2.00 each for KGD cotton pads? Or more money for a couple feet of Kanthal than I can buy 100' for online? That's not serving the local community. It's predatory marketing, preying on the unknowing.

Reactions: Fishcakes

lyspaere

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2014
Wisconsin
I wanna acknowledge the awesome Firefly quote in the title...

I was shocked the other day when I stopped in a B&M looking for a particular juice, & they actually had bf Odins in stock. The owner's wife had a Sunbox on her, so I got a chance to physically take a look at one. She had absolutely no interest in my Reo, though.

B&Ms in my Podunk Wisconsin town are all catering to local clientele, which are predominantly chasing Big Clouds while most have never even heard of the SX Mini... *facepalm*

[emoji10][emoji100] [emoji709]

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas
It quite frankly annoys me at what some of the newer vape shops are doing. I get it that B&Ms have overhead expenses that may exceed those of some of the online businesses, and have to charge somewhat higher prices, to cover them. But c'mon! $1.50 to $2.00 each for KGD cotton pads? Or more money for a couple feet of Kanthal than I can buy 100' for online? That's not serving the local community. It's predatory marketing, preying on the unknowing.

Unfortunately, this kinda applies to this shop. Their prices have gotten better, but some things have gotten worse. They no longer, officially, make coils for Joes of the street without charging for it, the same can be said for the coil building tutorials. The price on Atlantis is now $10 bucks higher than I can find it online, this is reasonable. Batteries are all $5 mark up... meh. But $65 MVP2 and other things like this bother me. The house juice runs $20 for 30 ml, I just can't buy some basic juice at that price. I know they sell Kanthal by the foot, but I don't know the price. I'm sure it's too much. Honestly If it wasn't for those 2 guys helping me so much when I was starting I wouldn't ever step foot in it again. And even that I only go in every 3 months or so.

JetMac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2014
Valdosta, GA, USA
I stopped into one of my local B&M's and the owner actually knew that I had a Reo, he said that he bought one used about a year ago but never used it. I asked why and he said he bought it completely disassembled and was intimidated by it and went to replace everything and just gave up on it, so he sold it in pieces in his shop. I said that's funny, a buddy of mine bought his orange w/black wrinkle door LP grand about a year ago from a vape shop and it was in pieces. Let me guess, you sold a orange LP grand, he was like yup probably mine. He said he sold it for $100 in pieces and was surprised it even brought that much money.
I laughed and said yeah, my buddy told me he bought one but needed help putting it together and I told him to give it to me and I'll hook him up. He brought it me in a box and I put it all back together in about 20 minutes.
He said he regrets selling it and was thinking of buying another one. He didn't like the top fire so I told him the woodvils are about to go on sale and their side fire and he's planning on jump in on the sale night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
I am lucky I found the REO online, squonking is not popular in the UK . I built my own squonk box to try squonking and an unregulated vape before I purchased the REO. My mod was effective to a point, enough to convince me that it was worth investing in a more professional version. Most reactions I get are favourable, some of the people I have shown the mod will buy one I am sure. Cigs are around £8 per pack here at the moment, most of that is tax. e cigs are still a cheaper option as they are not taxed YET. £8 buys 20ml of juice, I buy all my DIY stuff from them and its cost me about £2.50 its exactly the same juice I just have to mix it myself. You can get good deals from B&M shops and are more likely to get your cash back if you run in to a genuine problem than online. Scary thing is the quality of the things that are being sold to less experienced vapours. Ohms law is beyond 2 out of 3 of the people that work there. They sell high current bats and mods without making sure that the people buying them have some basic safety information. These same vendors will complain when they eventually get regulated and taxed and they can no longer rely on the price difference to sell e cig stuff.

Riff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2014
Texas
I don't really know if I qualify as a cloud chaser. Clouds are part of the experience I'm after, but I want to taste flavors and can't really stand a hot vape. I build between 0.5 and 0.3 Ohms and enjoy non-vaper friends using adjectives like draconic to describe me, but I don't think I could fog out a room. I dunno, I more more a noir streets kinda guy: I want a thick languid plume laden with mysteries and thick with the air of suspense, where mysteries and suspense are richness and depth to my tongue.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread