Selling to minors

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaprMade

Verified Member
Jun 6, 2011
Arizona
It depends on where your at pure. Some places have put restrictions on selling to minors. Most companies have the must be 18 to view this site. I think its wrong but Im probably a small minority. All I do know is that I started at 14 not 18 and maybe if I had this wonderful invention back then I could have decreased my chances of cancer/disease/heart problems even more.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I am not sure about the law, and like VaprMade, I think state and local laws vary. I do think it would be a good idea for all vendors (and I know several do) at least state that you must be 18 or older to purchase their product, whether it contains nicotine or not. This is one of those issues we cannot "give" to the ANTZ. By self regulating the vaping industry can take away the "doing it for the children's safety" and "gateway" arguments that frequently persuade even if they have little basis in fact.

Last edited:

recidivus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2012
Canada
www.youtube.com
Them's the rules up here (21 to buy smokes, 18 to get drunk...go figure). We met a younger fellow at the last vape meet who was informed that he wouldn't be able to attend any more. It won't stop him from vaping, but it removes part of the support network. There's not many vapers in this city, so being able to meet others once a month is great.

It's unfortunate really, because I (like many others) started smoking far below the legal age. Not far by those days standards, but still smoking before I should have been able to buy them.

If you want to quit smoking you shouldn't require ID to get any kind of NRT or e-cig, that's my view.

18SixFifty

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Michigan
I don't know the law, but I would imagine it varies from state to state. I make all kinds of mods and make my own juice. I give away tons of stuff. One of my friend's sons who smokes wanted me to make him one and sell him some juice. I refused because he was underage. Soon to turn 18 though. So I made him two box mods, made him up 120ml of juice, two 14500 batteries some atties and a charger. I gave it to him on his 18th birthday. I actually felt bad making him wait, but it is what it is.

purelyscientific

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 8, 2012
NewYork
Varies check your local laws.
What do you mean "it varies"? What? The laws on minors buying batteries? I didn't know those kind of laws existed. PV's without nicotine are essentially the same thing as a fog machine or an inhaler.

I would like to know why minors cannot buy PV's and non-nicotine juice. It is only a heating element, battery, and a mouthpiece.

You dont have to be 18 to buy heating elements.
You dont have to be 18 to buy batteries.
You dont have to be 18 to buy PG, VG or flavorings.
But you have to be 18 to buy PV's, which are basically all of those combined?

Not allowing a minor to attend vape meets makes sense to me. I mean, with all the vendors handing out free samples(with nicotine, I assume), It would be inevitable that one of them would assume he/she was 18+ and give it to them.

Last edited:

Anoob2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
central IL
What do you mean "it varies"? What? The laws on minors buying batteries? I didn't know those kind of laws existed. PV's without nicotine are essentially the same thing as a fog machine or an inhaler.

I would like to know why minors cannot buy PV's and non-nicotine juice. It is only a heating element, battery, and a mouthpiece.

You dont have to be 18 to buy heating elements.
You dont have to be 18 to buy batteries.
You dont have to be 18 to buy PG, VG or flavorings.
But you have to be 18 to buy PV's, which are basically all of those combined?

Not allowing a minor to attend vape meets makes sense to me. I mean, with all the vendors handing out free samples(with nicotine, I assume), It would be inevitable that one of them would assume he/she was 18+ and give it to them.

I see your point on why it really should not matter. But in the eyes of the law it is still tobacco paraphernalia. Im sure it is the same reason an underage person cant walk into a smoke shop and buy a pipe. But you can go buy a piece of wood and carving set and have at it.

Heck i was even carded at a novelty store once when i was 18 trying to buy a beer ..... Got told no. But
yet i could go to walmart and buy a funnel and some tubing and have almost the same thing at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:

mwplefty

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2012
Chicago, IL
Very few states ban sales to minors and even fewer localities ban sales to minors. However, some companies have asked their distributors that they ban sales to minors. I've been carded about 60% of the time (although Illinois and Indiana don't have laws pertaining to minors and e-cigs). Certain gas stations have just decided on their own (or from influence by the e-cig companies) to ban sales to minors.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I am not in favor of a law restricting it. I am in favor of vendors refusing to sell to minors for the reasons I listed above. I would not permit my sons to vape before 18, and I think it is an adult habit. I suppose it is unfair when you consider non-nicotine juice, but the fair comes twice a year and it costs 20 bucks to get in.

j3000

ECF Veteran
Aug 27, 2012
Michigan
I can see both sides of the argument, Lets say that you can sell no nicotine vaping equipment to minors. Then what stoping people selling non alcholic beer to minors..Kids are going to experiment if they want to smoke they are going to smoke if they want to drink they are going to drink, If they want to vape they are going to vape..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread