Status
Not open for further replies.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
From the CDC:
  • Childhood obesity has more than doubled in children and quadrupled in adolescents in the past 30 years.
  • The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 18% in 2012. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12–19 years who were obese increased from 5% to nearly 21% over the same period.
  • In 2012, more than one third of children and adolescents were overweight or obese.
We should ban flavors in food, as it is attracting children and causing them to be obese. Enjoying the taste of food sets could set in motion a lifelong addiction (yes, food addiction is real) and obesity, resulting in increased risk of diabetes which kills tens of thousands Americans each year per the CDC.

While we're at it, a study published in the American Journal of Public health found:

WEDNESDAY, Feb. 25, 2015 (HealthDay News) -- Consuming super-sized, flavored alcoholic beverages greatly increases underage drinkers' risk of injury, a new study finds.
"These findings raise important concerns about the popularity and use of [flavored alcohol beverages] among youth," wrote Alison Albers of Boston University School of Public Health and colleagues.
[...]
Those who said they drink super-sized versions of flavored alcohol beverages were more than six times as likely to say they'd suffered alcohol-related injuries as those who did not consume such beverages, the researchers noted.
We need to ban flavorings of any type in alcohol, as it is attracting underage drinking and is directly attributable to "injuries". Alcohol is also an addictive substance, so by attracting youth with flavored alcohol we are setting them up to battle a lifelong addiction with potentially dire consequences (liver disease, death by driving while impaired, etc).

Those of you in New York should lobby Schumer to include the banning of flavors in food and alcohol to his bill, to ensure that it truly protects children from every possible ill due to flavorings.

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
Chuck Schumer supports the federal government; first, foremost, and always. If the little-voter-people get in the way of the government he has no problem with essentially legislating their argument into non-existence without regard to context. It's what he does, and he's very good at it. There are others like him 'on the hill' but he's a lot smarter and sneakier than the rest.

He's honestly one of the scariest people I've ever met face-to-face, and I'm not easily frightened.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Chuck Schumer supports the federal government; first, foremost, and always. If the little-voter-people get in the way of the government he has no problem with essentially legislating their argument into non-existence without regard to context. It's what he does, and he's very good at it. There are others like him 'on the hill' but he's a lot smarter and sneakier than the rest.

He's honestly one of the scariest people I've ever met face-to-face, and I'm not easily frightened.
So your post prompted me to Google Chuck Schumer.
I did not know he was a senior Democratic senator from New York.

At this point I'll just keep my mouth shut.

firechick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2009
Upstate New York
It's a pretty safe bet that he will be all over the push to add vapor to the indoor smoking ban and forcing vapor sellers to obtain the tobacco retailer license. Legislation is pending in both houses in Albany. Philoshop is right where this man is concerned. Scary indeed.

Jake Guss

Jan 22, 2015
233903130aa11b044569de1ae57ebc28.jpg

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
You totally nailed that one. While in fact, although I've tasted NA beer, I also abstain from that, because the taste is just too similar; I'm afraid it will wake up cravings that have been sleeping for many many years, and I'd just rather not go there, ever again.

Andria

rofl, I have a completely different experience. I had some NA beer once (don't drink and drive reason) and I found it so disgusting that I couldn't touch real beer for a while.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
rofl, I have a completely different experience. I had some NA beer once (don't drink and drive reason) and I found it so disgusting that I couldn't touch real beer for a while.

I'd have probably felt the same, except it had been 10+ yrs since I'd had a real one, when I tasted it, and it really seemed authentic-tasting, from that perspective -- a real one would probably taste nasty after all this time, with the actual alcohol in it -- just like real cigarettes taste nasty once we've been off them long enough. But I know how insane this alcoholic brain can be, and I didn't want to tempt/tease it -- much as some vapers don't want tobacco flavors, because it might make them crave the real thing, disgusting as they are.

Andria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread